X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheapest mini itx case?

ive seen some range from 60-100
    any that are cheaper?

i dont need anything fancy, just something to hold the computer and protect it from the outside enviroment (things falling on it mostly )

id build my own but my machining skills arent spectacular and i have a small array of available tools

thanks
    2004 G35 Coupe project

Just get an aluminum box. Aluminum is easy to work with, even if you don't have a lot of tools.

Comment

If you want supercheap, go with wood. the next step would be plain steel, since aluminum is a bit pricy and not everyone has the contacts to get it welded.
      -
      My cars
      -

Comment

you should check out "Jay" 's case. it was made of L shaped brackets. And a bunch of screws. It had no actually sides to it but im sure y ou could just add on sheets of clear plastic or something.. very creative.
        Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

just saw one on ebay close for $50... new

thats usually where i go for cheapo computer parts.

~Mike
          Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
          PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
          2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

you could go with thin aluminum say 16-18 gauge or better (higher number= thinner) and then pop rivet it together. cheap and easy to work with. i havent seen any ready to go cases for say under $60.

Comment

dont have a riveter, dont even know where to get sheet metals
              all i basically have is a dremel a drill and a jigsaw
              2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

look at www.yahoo.com and then click yellow pages. select your area then type in sheet metal or whatever may get lucky. riveters are common home depot or wherever. by the time you did all that prolly better to just buy a new case unless you want to put it in a special spot. there are alot of people just dumping these things in a plastic tub or whatever i dunno. i found a lot doing a google search before i found this forum.

Comment

I used an old playstation1 for my case. You dont get cheaper then that (free).

I want to get my hands on a Nintendo case.
                  Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

I got some sheet from onlinemetals.com. They were really good with shipping and have reasonable prices.

Comment

This guy on ebay sells the most stylistic mini-itx case for $49 (buy it now price)
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3669
                      Falcon cr53 w/ via epia m10000. Nokia 3650 blutooth phone.
                      Better than winamp. Click here for qcd player.

Comment

Look at the price of the powersupply and the cdrom adapter that comes with many mini-itx cases.

If you already have those items, nevermind; but if you still need to buy those items, then some of the cases become more attractive.

BTW you can get a real 12vcd in powersupply up to about 70watts.

So you can pipe 5 amps of 12v from your car (regulated would probably be better) right to the computer.

Or you could buy a larger powersupply that runs off 110vac and have to run an inverter.

If you use a laptop cdrom (with adapter) you can power your computer off that 70watts.
                        current projects

Comment

DodgeCummins is spot on here well said. i mean if you can get a complete setup for say $50 or less you would be hard pressed to build one for that. i think a PS runs $25 min.

main reason for this post though is i wanted to say is if you want to build a case or whatever then start by building a frame and then skin it with whatever. you could make something with fiberglass or carbon fiber to be really diff if you thought about it some. then again just about anything that will hold your parts could work as a case so..just food for thought.

also DodgeCummins i am in DFW as well and i do a lot of work on mr2Ts as a side job so we have a few things in common here. im not big on oh lets go meet here or whatever but if you happen to go to any stereo shows or something in the future local then maybe we could meet sometime. i work 2 jobs basically so my time is limited. between that and family things. we will be hosting a dyno day here on jun 7th and i have to go look for where it will be but you are more than welcome to bring your truck out there. its mainly for mr2s since thats our thing but i think there will be some eclipse guys out there and a cobra and ??? i dunno yet. we will see. i can email you the date time and location if you like.

Comment

I have no time this summer...but I apprecate the offer...where do they advertise the shows?
                            current projects

Comment

Originally posted by DodgeCummins
                              I have no time this summer...but I apprecate the offer...where do they advertise the shows?
                              i usually check www.termpro.com or listen to the radio. there are alot of DFW people who post on temrpro. i hear about some thru word of mouth here and there but nothing big really.

you are more than welcome to come to our dyno day though . when i get home i guess i could post the details here. i dunno maybe someone else wants to come along and see some mr2s haha.

any mr2 owners on this board?

Comment

Working...
                              X