anybody use a PDA for control?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody use a PDA for control?

i guess as an interface for a mini-itx or a shuttle setup? i was thinking you could use VNC software for this and basically remote control the PC? i here its slow has anyone tried this? thoughts? alternatives to using the VNC software? i mean we could go in thru the serial ports or we could use a wireless card or ?? i have some links to some palm os software that may work. or we could use a linux based PDA. im still new to this so you guys that have experience what ya think? i have read some of the forums here buts its gonna take some time to take it all in. i knwo the screen is small and i may add a VGA LCD later bur for the interim? i like it cuz i can take it when i leave the car. good security.

the proposed car pc will be replacing an eclipse 5504 that was damaged during an attempted theft < grinds teeth > .

I have made some experiments on this area.

i have the hp journada 525 running 802.11b.

It can only just start vnc and it will crash very shortly after.

I believe the main reason for this is the memory requirements is just to much for my pda.

Transfer rates arent impressive either. The pda cpu is fairly slow.

I have worked on two other types of setup. One webbased and on based on win.ce programming.

The web part of the project failed (due to incompability in the pda browser, and my limited skills in web programming).

I have made an interface in vb for ce. It works fairly well, but its still slow.

Long list of music causes waiting periods, etc.

But it is possible, i believe that there are several programs out there for both the win.ce and palms.

Hopes this helps you out a bit

Comment

I intend to someday. Make a basic web page and browse it with pocket IE.

Comment

I think this has been discussed before. You would have to have a pretty fast connection and a pretty powerful PDA in order for it to work. I got a toshiba e740 (400mhz, built in wifi) and the refresh rate is so slow that it makes it impractical to use as a controller (I was testing it out on winamp)

Comment

i played with a sony in the store last weekend and it felt pretty zippy. it was like $200 or something. that was one model anyway, the others seemed slow. what is a fast network connection defined as here? if there was a standard 10/100 card its entirely doable but i dont think they come with a slot for that. prolly wifi speed (read: slow right now). how fast is the serial/usb setup? i have used hyper terminal before thru a serial port on an old laptop and it wasnt bad at all. it was a pentium 133 with hardly any memory and a very slow hard drive.

there is a linux OS PDA as well made by sharp. with this you could SSH into the pc and do whatever you wanted from there. how long ago was this discussion? the wifi stuff is about to get alot faster here in the next 6 months or so things change monthly as they evolve.

honestly once you loaded a playlist in winamp the rest could be done with a standard remote control thu an IR port. assuming we had a nice preamp to control volume and do tone adjustments and stuff. the only thing you really need the PDA for would be to view the playlist and or add remove songs to it. once this is done just use the standard remote control to change tracks. just like changing a CD. i guess we would want to see what we were listening to but that shouldnt be too hard to do.

more than likely if i went this route it would be a temp thing. eventually i will add an LCD but in the meantime a PDA may get me up and running.

Comment

check this out :

http://home.att.net/~ryan.emerick/ClieCarCradle.jpg

it has not been released to the market only a concept at CES but it looks promising.

Comment

If your only planning on playing music then you could just use frontend software like PalmAmp, it's like having a winamp on your Palm. It connects to the computer through a serial cable and allows you too control winamp's functions, all but change playlists. If you are planning this for only a temp install it's not bad since it allows you to see what's playing and what's coming up etc.. but for long term that little screen get's very annoying.
              GTI - Palm IIIe controlled with Radio faceplate hack for keyboard control of WinAmp w/ Vocal Genre playlist loading.
              VW Bus - 10.4" vga lcd. Loaded with same software as above.

Comment

Speed is why I wanted to do a small web page. Render a nice small page with a few image maps and let it download and stay in pocket IE cache (or whatever browser is on the linux based pda's) Point and click and the web server on the mp3 player kicks off a script.

Comment

I'm using a Palm V in my set up. Palm Amp is not the best set up for a car though. The buttons and text are small, it's laggy, and worst of all it crashes a lot (or it did on my visor). There is another winamp plug-in called 'jukebox' (or something like that) that (to me) is perfect. Big buttons, easy to reed, fast, and will auto reconnect to the palm. Only problem is the group that made it has disappeared off the face of the earth . The palm ones that I have messed with only work through a serial port, not USB. So, to be able to keep the palm charged and still connect to the carputer I had to modify a PDA car holder and car charger a little bit.

I know that there are also a few winamp remotes for Pocket PC/Windows CE but I have not messed with them much though.
                  Comp. Specs:Shuttle SS40G, Athlon XP 1700+, 256MB DDR, 40GB HD, Belkin Desktop 802.11b card (good range), SB 128 sound (onboard is a bit noisy), DVD ROM
                  Toshiba 100CS laptop, P75 40mb ram, 550MB HD, Megahertz LAN/modem PC card, modified to run off 12VDC
                  Other stuff:Generic USB hub & USB to serial adapters, BS2SX power control system w/battery buffer, Jazz 300W Inverter, FM Modulator, Palm Vx, & GPS

Comment

remote amp for pocket pc..... looks promising...
                    Volvo V40 Phase 2 2002. T4 turbo upgrade.... currently no mp3 or carputer..... researching options

Comment

Originally posted by spud42
                      remote amp for pocket pc..... looks promising...
                      Edit: It looks like there are two things with simular names. Remote Winamp = Plugin for Winamp 2 that lets you listen to the music on a Terminal Services client.
                      RemoteAmp = Client/Server program for controlling Winamp 2/3

Remote Winamp:
                      I just tried it, couldn't get it to work. Seems like it's meant for the desktop client only, it just skipped from song to song. Not to mention the Terminal Services client is slow and clunky over a USB link. Streaming Audio over the link too would make it even worse. The plugin is for running sound on the client.

RemoteAmp:
                      I tried the unregistered shareware version, which they severely limited. Timed out after 20 seconds or so seconds and paused the audio to tell you to register. Skip to next song takes a second or two. Playlist isn't shown in the shareware version, but it supposed to be in the Full version. :/

I stumbled across some remote control apps for Pocket PC when searching, so I'll try some of them.

Comment

im pretty sure the winamp thing where it just goes thru song after song is a bug with winamp. i have a netwrok drive on my pc downstairs and if for some reason this drive is not available i have seen winamp do this. the drive was not available as i had not entered a password to connect to it. it very well could be the same with your findings.

i have heard in general that palm OS software is buggy as its mostly written in C+? im not a programer so i wouldnt know but this is what i have read and seems like i see a few people with problems. i dunno i think shareware/freeware in general is like this some is good and some is not so good.

i really appreciate the effort though.

see the whole PDA thing is kind of a stepping stone. for one it would justify buying apreamp that i hvae been wanting for a long time now and if i can work this thing into the car slowly my better half really wont pay much attention. then its in there and i say oh well look what this can do and then its like oh yeah cool!! and then its like i err she cant live without it kind of thing. OTH if i was to say hey im gonna put a PC in my car it would be like well why ya gonna do that? and thats too much trouble wires blah blah...its kinda funny. once upon a time she didnt want a TV card in the puter in the bedroom and now when the TV is broke (software issues) up here i get an earful...kinda comical.

so hopefully we can find some kind of solution here. has anyone checked out like a universal remote maybe? you could use the IR port and then program the remote to whatever? sony has a real snazzy looking LCD screen with macro functions etc. its pretty trick. its about $150 though. maybe with something like that and a good win amp plug in we may be able to make something work? i will dig up a link in case people have not seen it before.

oh yeah if i do any of this my audio will exit the puter go into a preamp for volume/tone controls and then straight to amps/speakers etc..this way the puter does all the decoding and you dont have to worry about bandwidth/processor power etc..

Comment

Originally posted by unknown
                          im pretty sure the winamp thing where it just goes thru song after song is a bug with winamp. i have a netwrok drive on my pc downstairs and if for some reason this drive is not available i have seen winamp do this. the drive was not available as i had not entered a password to connect to it. it very well could be the same with your findings.
                          If for any reason Winamp can't play a song, it skips to the next one. Since it couldn't output audio it just kept skipping.

i have heard in general that palm OS software is buggy as its mostly written in C+? im not a programer so i wouldnt know but this is what i have read and seems like i see a few people with problems. i dunno i think shareware/freeware in general is like this some is good and some is not so good.
                          It depends on what software you try to run, if you try older software designed for the PalmPilot (the first one) on a newer PalmOS PDA, you can expect crashes, and now and then a reset. The programming language doesn't really matter, most of the time. I agree with the shareware/freeware comment, it's often a crap shoot.

BTW, I'm running a Pocket PC based PDA, not a Palm Os PDA. It's the Dell Axim X5 Basic. PalmOS is a bit behind the times when it comes to features (PalmOS 5 is catching up though, more apps need to be using it's features). The program I was trying worked, but had lag, and kept pestering me to register. Bunch of different Winamp controlling software for PocketPCs out there, I'll probably be trying some more soon.

See the whole PDA thing is kind of a stepping stone. for one it would justify buying apreamp that i have been wanting for a long time now and if i can work this thing into the car slowly my better half really wont pay much attention. then its in there and i say oh well look what this can do and then its like oh yeah cool!! and then its like i err she cant live without it kind of thing. OTH if i was to say hey im gonna put a PC in my car it would be like well why ya gonna do that? and thats too much trouble wires blah blah...its kinda funny. once upon a time she didnt want a TV card in the puter in the bedroom and now when the TV is broke (software issues) up here i get an earful...kinda comical.
                          Heheh. Typical.

so hopefully we can find some kind of solution here. has anyone checked out like a universal remote maybe? you could use the IR port and then program the remote to whatever?
                          An option is to get an RF based remote (that way the reciever could be in the trunk), such the ATI Remote, or the X10 Mouse Remote.

sony has a real snazzy looking LCD screen with macro functions etc. its pretty trick. its about $150 though. maybe with something like that and a good win amp plug in we may be able to make something work? i will dig up a link in case people have not seen it before.
                          If you're willing to some work, you could hook up a cheap $20 LCD to the parallel port and some buttons to the serial port.

oh yeah if i do any of this my audio will exit the puter go into a preamp for volume/tone controls and then straight to amps/speakers etc..this way the puter does all the decoding and you dont have to worry about bandwidth/processor power etc..
                          Sounds like a plan.

Comment

have a look at this site, its not in engish but it has several different things for controlling winamp through a palm and it's got screenshots so you can see what each of them look like before you go downloading them and trying em out only to find they aren't what you want.

http://palmare.idnes.cz/PalmOS/PalmO...alm020604.html

Comment

http://pdacentral.ozbytes.net.au/pal...ew/295728.html

and more direct to palm amp http://pdacentral.ozbytes.net.au/pal...iew/33424.html
                              My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
                              2 Kicker Comp 10"
                              Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
                              Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
                              Check it out?!

Comment

Working...
                              X