LCD casing and mounting ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD casing and mounting ideas

Hey everyone, I have a few questions for those of you who have choosen to build and mount your LCD in your car. I have a 16x2 LCD and have a perfect place for it directly below my deck. I was wondering what types of materials work the best ect... Any help would be excellent. Also, have any of you run the +5/-5 wires directly through say the parellel port?

One more thing regarding the parellel port. Does it matter where you run the cable? Can it be next to the power wires or the input wires? I also have 2 amplifiers hooked up.. Will that be a problem?

Comment

I have run the +5, and the keypad wires directly with the LCD through the extra wires in a 25-foot parallel cable. I have never experienced any problems with noise. I thought that with the cable being so long it would have been prone to picking up noise, but it has always worked perfectly.

Comment

Preston...
        How did you run the wires through? Did you use two separate parellel port kits or did you simply just splice the wire?

Comment

I have used a small piece of hardboard which I have cut to size to make a bezel. I then covered this in sticky pack plastic (Making sure the bolts were tight enough first!)

Comment

I designed the system so that I would not have to modify the actual parallel port (printer) extension cable. This way I could simply replace the cable if I needed a different length one or it got damaged. On the inside of the computer I took the extra wires that were not being used, cut them, and soldered them straight to the keypad port. On the other end I took a spare parallel port plug and connected the necessary wires to the keypad and the others to the LCD.

Comment

Good idea, Preston. Parallel cables can be damaged easily, especially if they're pinched or you forget where you ran it and drill through it or something.

--Jason
              http://jump.to/m2pc
              Jason Johnson
              Yorba Linda, California
              http://www.m2pc.com

MPC Phase IV - *** PENDING ***

Comment

Working...
              X