Road slope angle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road slope angle

What are the best ways to sensor/measure the slope of the road? I thought an accelerometer (maybe with gyroscoop), barometer or inclinometer would do the job. But how do you deal with the pitch of the car?

Does someone know practical examples of such slopesensors?

Originally posted by Artiop View Post
    What are the best ways to sensor/measure the slope of the road? I thought an accelerometer (maybe with gyroscoop), barometer or inclinometer would do the job. But how do you deal with the pitch of the car?

http://store.mp3car.com/3_Axis_Accel..._p/com-073.htm

this one is the only one i know about. Tt works with the fusion brain
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Problem is you'll be moving.

Gyroscope is the ideal. Then it's acceleration and bump independent.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSpark View Post
        Problem is you'll be moving.

Gyroscope is the ideal. Then it's acceleration and bump independent.

This work?

http://www.leveldevelopments.com/inc...er-sensors.htm

VegasGuy

Comment

Same as above. They are intended for static platforms...

But gyros used to be expensive....

Comment

Same as above. They are intended for static platforms...

But gyros used to be expensive....
            They gotta be out there, every offroad vehicle built in the last 20 years offered tilt guages as an option. My Pioneer AVIC-N1 had it built in as part of the digital guage display...fore/aft and side-to-side. Assuming it has reasonable damping, do you really need the gyro?

VegasGuy

Comment

No - the ones you are talking about are non-gyro.
              You don't need them - it all depends what you want it for. I assumed since sensors were mentioned, hence uPC, hence (mapping) accuracy etc.

Try ships and planes - they have gyros.

Comment

No - the ones you are talking about are non-gyro.
                You don't need them - it all depends what you want it for. I assumed since sensors were mentioned, hence uPC, hence (mapping) accuracy etc.

Try ships and planes - they have gyros.
                If the goal here is navigational accuracy without a GPS, then absolutely, he's trying to build an inertial navigation system and he'll need gyros. But that sure seems like a lot of work (and pretty expensive) to get back to navigational technology from 60 years ago. It all works, and provided you understand how to use it, it's can be quite accurate, but (in the last 20 years) usually when combined WITH a GPS. Which raises the question, if you really need a GPS in order to keep the INS accurate, why bother with the INS in the first place?

Actually, I retract that last question. I can see a certain "cool factor" in doing it all VERY old school, but on a PC with current maps. An antiquated process performed with the latest digital technology....could be fun. But he'll need some deep pockets $$$ I suspect.

VegasGuy

Comment

Combining with GPS is no problem, cause GPS alone is not very accurate. I was just wondering which sensor would be the best for doing this job.
                  What about a gyroscoop combined with an accelerometer (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...ucts_id=9268)? It needs a Kalman filter for combining the data. But easy to use with an arduino..

Comment

You can also to create an exe or plugin that calculate each 100m by example the slope of the road.

Elevation for RR

This script is for RideRunner but you can do the same thing for any front end

Comment

....I was just wondering which sensor would be the best for doing this job. What about a gyroscoop combined with an accelerometer
                      What are you wanting to do?

Accurate slope measurement for mapping on the run (eg - as if no GPS available)?
                      Accurate slope measurement when stationary?
                      Accurate slope measurement when cornering on racetracks?

Comment

I need the road slope at any time, so i can use it in further calculation. So the data need to be accesible.

Comment

Not quite what I was after....

But if you have a gyro, then you don't need anything else (to compensate).

It's if you use an inclinometer or other gravity type device that you need to compensate for acceleration (that effects the angle reading).

Comment

hmm..

Can you explain me why a gyroscope is independent from acceleration pitch and bumps? Are they accurate?
                            Is it also unaffected by an installation thats not parallel with the road surface?

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroscope

Comment

Working...
                              X