No announcement yet.

Extension for a SD card? Does it exist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension for a SD card? Does it exist?

I am thinking of purchasing a DVR blackbox recording system. It has a SD card slot on the side of it. In order to view the footage, you have to take it out of the slot and put into a PC. Issue is this blackbox hangs from the windshield and taking the SD card out all the time is going to be a hassle.

Is there a way I can extend the port with some type of extension cable? I tried Binging one and it doesnt seem to exist. Would it be hard to make one?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

you just want an extension cable or something that connects the blackbox to the pc?
    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
    - Always Recruiting Developers -
    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
      you just want an extension cable or something that connects the blackbox to the pc?
      No, I want an extension for the SD card port. So say for example the SD card use to be put into the side of the black box as usual. Instead I would like to extend that port so the SD card now plugs into a port that I say build into the center console. If I want to get the footage I have easy access to the card and bring it inside to edit and upload to you tube.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Googling I found this. Probably will have to ask them if they will sell direct.

Best solution I think you are going to find is using an external SD Card slot reader that attaches to a USB port.
        Audio: 4 * Rainbow Audio Germs + Infinity Basslink / Case: iStarUSA S3 / CPU: C2D P8700 / MB: Jetway NC64-LF / SC: ASUS Xonar Essence STX / RAM: Crucial 2x1GB 1066MHz / HD: MTRON 2.5" 30GB / DVD: Panasonic UJ-815B / PSU: Opus 180w / LCD: Xenarc 700TSV

Comment

Originally posted by WiCKeD 5.9L View Post
          Googling I found this. Probably will have to ask them if they will sell direct.

Best solution I think you are going to find is using an external SD Card slot reader that attaches to a USB port.
          What you linked to will work.... I can just maybe cut it, then solder wires from it. Thing is these things seem to be expensive.

When you gave me the link, I was better able to find what I was looking for. Here is the link.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=204

Basically I can take a old SD card, open it up and solder wires to the pins in the SD card. Then that wire will run to the item I linked to. That should extend the port.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

What kind of distance are you looking to extend the port out by?

I would think that it would run into some issues once you got the length over a certain distance, but might be worth checking out.

Not to put a dampener on your idea though!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chester View Post

I would think that it would run into some issues once you got the length over a certain distance, but might be worth checking out.

I suggest twisted pair extensions... hack up a network cable. That might help with the distance/interference.
              TruckinMP3
              D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

99% sure the spec says up to 3FT...so that should be enough to put it somewhere convienient. Cool idea doing the manual extension...and +1 for the twisted pair cable...just keep signal, clock and vcc+ground separate.
                openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                - Always Recruiting Developers -
                Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

I was actually thinking about that, so I decided to simply make it about a foot and maybe add the slot to my heads up display console. Its on the roof, so it would be close to the console.

Originally posted by TruckinMP3 View Post
                  I suggest twisted pair extensions... hack up a network cable. That might help with the distance/interference.
                  I do everything with netwrok cabling, its the best. I even use it to tie my lovers to the bed so they cant escape, J/K.

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                  99% sure the spec says up to 3FT...so that should be enough to put it somewhere convienient. Cool idea doing the manual extension...and +1 for the twisted pair cable...just keep signal, clock and vcc+ground separate.
                  Yea I am only going to use like 1 foot. I am most def doing it myself. The people that make one want $80 to $150 bucks. Thats crazy. This will cost me 20 bucks if I do it on my own.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                    I do everything with netwrok cabling, its the best. I even use it to tie my lovers to the bed so they cant escape, J/K.
                    No way, thats what gaffa tape is for!!

Comment

No way, thats what gaffa tape is for!!
                      LMFAO..... i'll remember that next time.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                      4X MK808b
                      3x Perixx Touchpads
                      3x 7 inch Screens
                      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                      X