Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do i send the signal to turn on amp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i send the signal to turn on amp?

I plan to use a droid x with 3.5 mm y-splitter jacked into the headphone port. This will give me connectivity to the red/white left and right audio lines BUT there is still the wire that tells the amp to turn on so it doesnt drain the battery when not needed.

Im assuming i can buy or create a device that will send this signal to the amp...
    My soldering skills are decent so don't underestimate me for the noob question please.

You can tap an electric line or a fuse that's ignition on. That way the amp turns on when the car is on and turn off when the car is off.

I used on these for my build:

They're sold at autoparts stores.

Comment

otherwise, just use the acc wire from behind the radio.

if your not sure about it, use your volt meter(if you don't have one, check harbor freight-- they have em as cheap as $3) to verify that the line goes to 0v when the car is off, and about 12v when the car is on.
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

What is that part in the picture called?

And to the 2nd poster, I don't have a 'radio' mine started smoking and doesn't work anymore. I'm just going to use my Droid X phone temporarily to play mp3s.

Comment

Originally posted by joe7dust View Post
          What is that part in the picture called?

And to the 2nd poster, I don't have a 'radio' mine started smoking and doesn't work anymore. I'm just going to use my Droid X phone temporarily to play mp3s.
          It's called an "Add-a-fuse".

Comment

you don't need the radio, you just need the harness that connected to the radio-- this harness is possibly the most well-documented part of the car, so locating the acc line is easier then any other part of the car(at the very worst, you can buy a aftermarket radio harness-- this will properly display which wire is the acc wire..)

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

The harness in my old setup didn't really do anything AFAIK.

The thin blue wire from the amp just plugged into the back of the old headunit. I believe it was labeled" remote" but Im just going from memory here.

Comment

yes, that would be so that when you turn the stereo off, the amp turns off as well-- not applicable here..

in the factory wires going to the stereo location there is a wire that has 12v when the key is switched to 'acc' or 'on' and has 0v in any other postion-- this is the wire that you can tie into.(unless you a 2006+ car-then the fuse tap is the easiest method-i think thats the cutoff in some cars...)

i keep forgetting to mention it..

NOTE: while i have not used fuse taps, there have been multiple people here that have have reported that fuse taps are not a recommended way to get power to accessories because the fuse-tap device can loosen your fuse block terminals, and make it harder to return the fuse to stock, or otherwise cause issues with loose connections..

next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                X