TV in my car???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV in my car???

I am looking for a good digital tv tuner that will work in the USA. I am looking for a internal solution that would be detected by my PC(USB tuners require extra memory resources and are too slow for tv playback on my system...which only has a 1ghz Via processor and 1gig of ram...I want a unit that does all the preliminary processing on its own). I have found external units that will do the job, but they all are standalones(which is what I want), but they have no interface for communicating with the PC(video output goes directly to the monitor instead of to the PC, then to the monitor). An internal solution other than a PCI card is needed(can't fit a pci card onto my mobo because of the way my in dash PC is fabricated). I have seen tv tuner cards that are not pci, but have no idea how to go about hooking them up to my mobo. Any help, suggestions, how to, or links to a workable tv tuner solution will be welcome. Thanks in advance!!!

Looking for something under $100...
    Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)
    Worklog!!!http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...l-worklog.html

Originally posted by locs4dayz View Post
    I am looking for a good digital tv tuner that will work in the USA. I am looking for a internal solution that would be detected by my PC(USB tuners require extra memory resources and are too slow for tv playback on my system...which only has a 1ghz Via processor and 1gig of ram...I want a unit that does all the preliminary processing on its own). I have found external units that will do the job, but they all are standalones(which is what I want), but they have no interface for communicating with the PC(video output goes directly to the monitor instead of to the PC, then to the monitor). An internal solution other than a PCI card is needed(can't fit a pci card onto my mobo because of the way my in dash PC is fabricated). I have seen tv tuner cards that are not pci, but have no idea how to go about hooking them up to my mobo. Any help, suggestions, how to, or links to a workable tv tuner solution will be welcome. Thanks in advance!!!

Looking for something under $100...
    I'm not sure you'll have much luck in your quest. Here's why:
    1. With some exceptions, there isn't any terrestrial analog TV broadcasting in the US anymore. Remember the big digital switch?
    2. There are ATSC digital tuners available for under $100 dollars, but they are designed for stationary reception, not mobile digital TV. If that's what you want, Pinnacle and ATI make lots of different devices.
    3. There are very few mobile digital TV modules available at this time. I have seen a couple that use a mini PCI-E connector. Otherwise, it's mostly standalone tuners that may or may not have a video out port. Certainly nothing to interface directly with your PC.
    4. No signals. Right now, there are only 40 stations in the US transmitting a total of about 160 channels. Almost all of them are in the Washington DC/Baltimore area and along the east coast. So unless that's where you live, there won't be anything to watch.*

According to industry sources, the mobile digital market is in the "chicken and egg" stage of development. Manufacturers are waiting for content (channels), and stations are trying to decide if it's worth the investment (which is actually pretty small, all things considered). It's going to happen and it will be big, but it's still a little early in the game*. Check back next summer.

VegasGuy

* Mobile Electrionics October/November issue (me-mag.com)

Comment

i know it is rube-goldberg-ish, but what about using a stand-alone unit with home automation software to control the channels?
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
        i know it is rube-goldberg-ish, but what about using a stand-alone unit with home automation software to control the channels?
        Hey, nothing says you can't use an IR blaster and Girder or some other software to automate control. It's that kind of DIY spirit that built this hobby/business. I'd just double check the availability of channels (that you actually want to watch) in your area. It'd be a shame to spend the money and time to make it all work and find out the only channel in your neighborhood was Home Shopping Network

VegasGuy

Comment

Originally posted by VegasGuy View Post
          I'm not sure you'll have much luck in your quest. Here's why:
          1. With some exceptions, there isn't any terrestrial analog TV broadcasting in the US anymore. Remember the big digital switch?
          2. There are ATSC digital tuners available for under $100 dollars, but they are designed for stationary reception, not mobile digital TV. If that's what you want, Pinnacle and ATI make lots of different devices.
          3. There are very few mobile digital TV modules available at this time. I have seen a couple that use a mini PCI-E connector. Otherwise, it's mostly standalone tuners that may or may not have a video out port. Certainly nothing to interface directly with your PC.
          4. No signals. Right now, there are only 40 stations in the US transmitting a total of about 160 channels. Almost all of them are in the Washington DC/Baltimore area and along the east coast. So unless that's where you live, there won't be anything to watch.*

According to industry sources, the mobile digital market is in the "chicken and egg" stage of development. Manufacturers are waiting for content (channels), and stations are trying to decide if it's worth the investment (which is actually pretty small, all things considered). It's going to happen and it will be big, but it's still a little early in the game*. Check back next summer.

VegasGuy

* Mobile Electrionics October/November issue (me-mag.com)
          1)I live in Philadelphia, PA(which is on the east coast...no problem there)
          2))Am aware of the "Digital" switch, which is why I'm looking for a digital TV tuner
          3)Only plan on using it mostly when not moving(can't watch when I'm driving anyway)
          4)My mobo doesn't have video input(m10000), only output..which is why I'm having the problem with interfacing with the PC from external tuners)

I have a dual boot system and want to use mythbuntu as my media center for TV viewing(uses less resorces than windows). I use windows with RR as my frontend as my default OS, and everything else I run from there. Would play movies from mytbuntu also , but vlc and mplayer both keep locking up my PC. Still having issues with the touchscreen using linux still also(which is why windows is the default OS).

Comment

Originally posted by locs4dayz View Post
            1)I live in Philadelphia, PA(which is on the east coast...no problem there)
            2))Am aware of the "Digital" switch, which is why I'm looking for a digital TV tuner
            3)Only plan on using it mostly when not moving(can't watch when I'm driving anyway)
            4)My mobo doesn't have video input(m10000), only output..which is why I'm having the problem with interfacing with the PC from external tuners)

I have a dual boot system and want to use mythbuntu as my media center for TV viewing(uses less resorces than windows). I use windows with RR as my frontend as my default OS, and everything else I run from there. Would play movies from mytbuntu also , but vlc and mplayer both keep locking up my PC. Still having issues with the touchscreen using linux still also(which is why windows is the default OS).
            WTTX-TV is the only digital mobile provider currently operating in the Philly area.

Buy this: Coby Digital TV

That should get you exactly what you want. If your PC won't handle that, maybe it's time to start thinking about an ATOM.

VegasGuy

Comment

Originally posted by VegasGuy View Post
              WTTX-TV is the only digital mobile provider currently operating in the Philly area.

Buy this: Coby Digital TV

That should get you exactly what you want. If your PC won't handle that, maybe it's time to start thinking about an ATOM.

VegasGuy
              I'm gonna go with this one since it is cheaper(http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-ATSC-QAM...item19c0a9e752), and will upgrade once digital tv gets more popular. I should be ready to upgrade my whole system by then(this is my first install using the most inexpensive parts I could find). Now that I know what I'm doing, my next carpc will be much more robust(but will wait til this one dies first!!!). My carpc has been through a lot of changes during the learning process(check my worklog). I have added more hardware(need to post more pics), such as a physical wired keyboard with a mousepad(gives my carpc a laptop feel...plus no batteries are needed). Made a nice retractable swivel mount for it so it tucks away nicely next to the center console(very sturdy and clean looking), and doesn't get in the way at all. It swivels up and down, folds down from the passenger side towards the drivers side in the center of the vehicle in front of the console, and is easily accessible to both passenger and driver comfortably. Here is the keyboard...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

It is PS2 compliant, so no extra usb port were used....love this thing!!!

Comment

Working...
              X