Remote start - with a manual trans - a.k.a. "the jealousy thread"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote start - with a manual trans - a.k.a. "the jealousy thread"

Ok, partly because I'm bored at work, and I do have an actual genuine interest; not having to trudge into sub-zero weather down the driveway to shiver inside my car for 40 seconds to start the car and make a mad dash back inside to wait for it to warm up would be nice this winter.

So.. The obstacles as I see them are:
    1. Check for neutral shifter position.
    2. If I remember correctly this car (mustang 08) has a chip in the key itself I believe to prevent start-up without proximity. How to bypass, or simulate? Not even sure what it is, RFID maybe?
    3. As I know I'm missing something else that probably needs to be here..

Opinions? Options(Aside from visit the dealer and get an automatic ya smartarses.)? Methods? Anyone else actually done this?

Would the aurdino be able to accomplish both 1&2?
    2008 Ford Mustang GT/CS CARPC(99%)
    Software: Ride/Road-Runner, Digital FX skin 5.x, iGuidance 2011, GPSgate on Win7 64bit

4.remember to leave in neutral the night befor???

.....and hope its still where you left it???

Comment

1. depends on the car-- i remember reading that some vehicles have sensors to tell the cars computer what gear it;'s in(new skyline gtr), others don't...

2. really easy-- they make bypass modules for this--there are 2 different modules-- one attempts to copy the keys signal, and a trigger wire from the alarm tells it to repeat it.. i could never get the one i had to work correctly..

the other method is to use a box with a relay, where you put a spare key. when the remote start triggers, it actuates the relay, and allows the chip signal to pass near the cars antenna by the ign switch.. the only problem is that chip keys are $50+, and oyu loose one to your remote start.

something to know-- my local ACE hardware just started offering a chip key duplication service, where they make new keys-- basically they just copy your old chip 'code' to the new key-- the nice thing is that this is much cheaper then the dealership, so for something like this, you could have the key 'coded', but not physically cut, so that it only works with the remote start..

3. buy a winter car that is automatic.
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98
        1. depends on the car-- i remember reading that some vehicles have sensors to tell the cars computer what gear it;'s in(new skyline gtr), others don't...
        Yeah, that one I don't think is true for mine. I'd have to set something up.
        the other method is to use a box with a relay, where you put a spare key. when the remote start triggers, it actuates the relay, and allows the chip signal to pass near the cars antenna by the ign switch.. the only problem is that chip keys are $50+, and oyu loose one to your remote start.
        That might be the way I'd want to go. Don't really want to completely bypass the security measure, not that it deters a pro car thief, but the kid looking for a joyride isn't goin' anywhere. That with the duplication service might be the ticket for that aspect.

3. buy a winter car that is automatic.
        Originally posted by dawnn
        .....and hope its still where you left it???
        Nice
        Software: Ride/Road-Runner, Digital FX skin 5.x, iGuidance 2011, GPSgate on Win7 64bit

Comment

Most Ford's have a neutral safety switch on manual transmissions. Usually unused, but the sensor is still there, at least on vehicles that use an eec-v Ecu. 2008 would have a newer ecu but it might still have that sensor. If you can get a pinout for your ecu and look to see if that line is populated?
          "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
          RevFE
          My Shop

Comment

For additional safety, hookup the (-) neg wire of the remote start module to the E-brake. That what I did with the remote starter on my Supra.
            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

I've been out of the mustang world for a few years, but, I do not think it has a nutral safety switch. Clifford G5 and G4 (if you can find one) will work with a manual transmission. I don't think they advertise it but it is set when you do the install.

The key is easy. You can use a bypass module or a relay and a foot of wire. these only bypass it when the remote starter is used.

I've had G4s and G5s on my past 6 vehicles. Only one was an automatic and 3 were manual mustangs.

Comment

^ so did you leave it in neutral, or was there a way that it wouldn't start if left in gear?

part of my problem in this is that i used to drive saab's at a local dealership, and the older versions locked the key until you put it in reverse, so i still put manual trans cars in reverse before taking the key out..
                My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

Comment

1) Set the parking brake and take out of gear.
                  2) Press button(s) on remote.
                  3) Remove key from ignition. Engine will continue to run.
                  4) Arm alarm with remote and engine will shut off.
                  5) press button(s) on remote to start engine.*
                  * If the alarm has been set off the engine will not remote start.

I can understand the habit as I always leave the trans in neutral even when not using the remote start.

Comment

Originally posted by txspazz View Post
                    1) Set the parking brake and take out of gear.
                    2) Press button(s) on remote.
                    3) Remove key from ignition. Engine will continue to run.
                    4) Arm alarm with remote and engine will shut off.
                    5) press button(s) on remote to start engine.*
                    * If the alarm has been set off the engine will not remote start.

I can understand the habit as I always leave the trans in neutral even when not using the remote start.
                    That's awesome. I just searched them out. Is there something to use for fail-safe means though? I've always had a stick-shift car since I started, my habit has always been to leave it in gear, and the emergency brake only gets used on idling or inclines. So you might see how this could concern me a tad.

Forget about it the night before once, or not otherwise check myself and my neighbor could end up with a car in his living room that morning. I suppose the emergency brake light could be used to make sure it's engaged, but if that's the only realistic means I might have to scrap the idea, as I know I would need a way for the system to check for a neutral gear position somehow.

Comment

The parking brake must be on in order to get to step 3. The system must see a negative signal from the parking break switch. If you get to this point and try to get out of the vehicle with it running and in gear it is going to stall. This will cancel the ability to remote start until you reset it. The fact that the remote start will not function if the alarm has been tripped eliminates the chance that someone could get in to the vehicle and put it in gear.

I'd say there are more failsafes with this setup than on a remote start for an automatic.

Comment

The parking brake must be on in order to get to step 3. The system must see a negative signal from the parking break switch. If you get to this point and try to get out of the vehicle with it running and in gear it is going to stall. This will cancel the ability to remote start until you reset it. The fact that the remote start will not function if the alarm has been tripped eliminates the chance that someone could get in to the vehicle and put it in gear.

I'd say there are more failsafes with this setup than on a remote start for an automatic.
                        This Clifford Matrix 20.7X looks pretty awesome. The manual isn't online at cliffords website though. I'm guessing I can't program it via the computer like the G4/5's, but not that big a deal. It states a "manual transmission mode", and is just a remote starting unit. There's an alarm system(OEM) that comes with my flavor of mustang from that year already has a passive system with vibration and the like, so really don't need the extra alarm features of the G4 and 5. So long as this can tap into the existing OEM for whatever the trigger-line might be, it should be good, I'm not sure if this will clone my existing remotes correctly, and such.

Comment

The park brake switch circuit should be easy to bypass - especially if it's a simple oldskool grounding switch.

If CANned etc, maybe a short across the switch itself - unless sophisticated 2-way or impedance sensitive or optic/magnetic etc switching is used.

Else a mechanical solution, though that probably means moving the switch further away from the mechanism because it is held "off" with handbrake in/down and is "handbrake on" when the handbrake releases it.

FYI - many Jap gearboxes have neutral sensors. Thee were added from the late 1970s for pollution reasons. (Hence 2 look-like switches; one is reverse, one for neutral - but one is NO the other NC.)

Comment

I had remote start in my standard tranny Honda. The whole point of the process 1-5 by listed by Wayne above is failsafe in itself. If you do NOT follow the procedure, you will not be able to remote start your vehicle after (in or out of gear). Because you have to set the e-brake, then "arm" the starter (which leaves the engine running), you cannot possibly get out of the car while it's in gear with the engine running. Then when you get out of the car you have to hit the button again so the engine stops and the doors lock (if so equipped).

Hope that helps.

John
                            03 Cadillac CTS
                            ZOTAC G43ITX-A-E 2.5ghz Core i3 2GB 160GB SSD
                            Win7 Ultimate - OpenMobile - Directed HD - Wifi
                            OMMaps + MS GPS Puck - WiFi via LTE Android phone
                            2 Zones - Matrix Orbital LCD - Arduino - Build Pics

Comment

Working...
                            X