Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slimline DVD

Hey

I have searched but could not come up with any solutions. I have a slimline CD/DVD drive that i want to install upfront. I have a USB adapter and USB power going to my USB Hub in the trunk(thats the plan). I have it on my workbench and the drive does not want to do anything. When i hook it up to my laptop via the USB it works perfect. Am i missing something or what?
    Thanx!!

Originally posted by rodsfromday View Post
    Hey

I have searched but could not come up with any solutions. I have a slimline CD/DVD drive that i want to install upfront. I have a USB adapter and USB power going to my USB Hub in the trunk(thats the plan). I have it on my workbench and the drive does not want to do anything. When i hook it up to my laptop via the USB it works perfect. Am i missing something or what?
    Thanx!!
    A possible scenario is that the hub isn't supplying sufficent power to the device. Direct to the laptop, it's getting 5V 500ma off both ports (two ports right?). You might try swapping out hubs or changing the ports, but a self-power hub might be a good idea, too.

VegasGuy

Comment

Originally posted by VegasGuy View Post
      A possible scenario is that the hub isn't supplying sufficent power to the device. Direct to the laptop, it's getting 5V 500ma off both ports (two ports right?). You might try swapping out hubs or changing the ports, but a self-power hub might be a good idea, too.

VegasGuy
      On my CARPC i have both USB's coming direct out of the PC,I dont have the HUB setup yet. I have measured 5V on the power side going into the DVD drive. But on my laptop i dont even use the power cable.

Comment

it isn't the voltage capabilities, it is the amperage that seems to be the problem. some hubs will not allow full power to pass to the device..

so just so i am clearer on the what your using:

the dvd drive has 2 usb plugs?
        or the usb hub has 2 usb plugs?
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
          it isn't the voltage capabilities, it is the amperage that seems to be the problem. some hubs will not allow full power to pass to the device..

so just so i am clearer on the what your using:

the dvd drive has 2 usb plugs?
          or the usb hub has 2 usb plugs?
          A DVD drive with 2 USB plugs, one being the power.

Comment

A DVD drive with 2 USB plugs, one being the power.
            Bad cable? More than 15ft cable run? Gremlins?

VegasGuy

Comment

Originally posted by VegasGuy View Post
              Bad cable? More than 15ft cable run? Gremlins?

VegasGuy
              New cables, Both cables less than a foot long!! Gremlims maybe!!

Comment

is the hub powered at all, or it just has the one usb plug..

next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

Comment

And you'll probably find BOTH USB plugs are for power. (Why else have 2?)

Comment

is the hub powered at all, or it just has the one usb plug..
                    At this stage i am not using a HUB, but yes it will be powered.
                    Originally posted by OldSpark View Post
                    And you'll probably find BOTH USB plugs are for power. (Why else have 2?)
                    The one is for data and the other USB is for power.

Comment

At this stage i am not using a HUB, but yes it will be powered.

The one is for data and the other USB is for power.
                      Oldspark is as usual, dead on, it has 2 to draw power from an extra usb line. True the other is only for power, but the first also has the 5v. This is so it can try to get the necessary draw to function without using an external power connection. Otherwise, as he states, why would it be split if it could simply get power from the 1 single line?

From my experience so far with these, it is a crap-shoot. Your best bet is to use a regulated 5v line to the drive (usually a very small power plug for this on the side), or to power a hub to get the 2 lines to draw from. The usb outs on the motherboard are often shared on a hub already, and getting the necessary juice even with a second line for extra power isn't a given.

If you've got enough to play with try moving the power only cord to the furthest usb plug from the other, this might solve it. I just opted to run a regulated 5v fused lead from the opus PSU to the back on a distribution block to power an 8 port hub and 1 or 2 things like this. As I had the same bit of trouble with a slimline drive I purchased just trying to directly connect and power it.
                      2008 Ford Mustang GT/CS CARPC(99%)
                      Software: Ride/Road-Runner, Digital FX skin 5.x, iGuidance 2011, GPSgate on Win7 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne613 View Post
                        Oldspark is as usual, dead on, it has 2 to draw power from an extra usb line. True the other is only for power, but the first also has the 5v. This is so it can try to get the necessary draw to function without using an external power connection. Otherwise, as he states, why would it be split if it could simply get power from the 1 single line?

From my experience so far with these, it is a crap-shoot. Your best bet is to use a regulated 5v line to the drive (usually a very small power plug for this on the side), or to power a hub to get the 2 lines to draw from. The usb outs on the motherboard are often shared on a hub already, and getting the necessary juice even with a second line for extra power isn't a given.

If you've got enough to play with try moving the power only cord to the furthest usb plug from the other, this might solve it. I just opted to run a regulated 5v fused lead from the opus PSU to the back on a distribution block to power an 8 port hub and 1 or 2 things like this. As I had the same bit of trouble with a slimline drive I purchased just trying to directly connect and power it.
                        So let me get this right, so u saying i must get a seperate 5V supply, then i can power the USB HUB and slimline from that?
                        Thanx!

Comment

So let me get this right, so u saying i must get a seperate 5V supply, then i can power the USB HUB and slimline from that?
                          Thanx!
                          i think that vegasguy, wayne613, oldspark, and me are all on the same path, but are using different routes to get there..

could you post a link, or picture of the hub and drive in question? specifically the connections on each?

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

i think that vegasguy, wayne613, oldspark, and me are all on the same path, but are using different routes to get there..

could you post a link, or picture of the hub and drive in question? specifically the connections on each?
                            Yep. The description is kinda leaving it up in the air a bit. I think heīs stating that he plans to put a hub in the back, but is just using the direct connection to the PC in the car at the moment, and itīs not working. But how heīs getting power currently to the hub he wants to use in the back...he lost me.

EDIT: Ok, starting to get it now, I dug through his threads.
                            Originally posted by rodsfromday
                            Thanx!
                            Edit: wait, your using this thing to connect a standard desktop sata cd/dvd-burner? I thought you had the usual slim-line drive with itīs 2 usb connectors, like this one for example. If itīs only got 1 usb connector and an actual AC 5v adapter, then you might still need to give that a separate 5v input in the car. This is assuming I understand you correctly and it works with just the single usb connection on the laptop. Then you could simply test it first just by trying the same thing with the powered hub on the laptop with and without using the 5v AC adapter.

ie. It craps out when you donīt power the hub, then works fine with it powered.

Your using an M1-atx? Iīm going with what you listed in a previous thread as what you were going with.

Assuming you want to power that usb hub that you list on that thread in the car youīd need to give it a regulated 5v DC line with 2amps or more(for JUST the hub).
                            2008 Ford Mustang GT/CS CARPC(99%)
                            Software: Ride/Road-Runner, Digital FX skin 5.x, iGuidance 2011, GPSgate on Win7 64bit

Comment

to add to what wayne613 said(thanks for posting that info!), also assuming that is the hub your using.

that hub might not work, no matter how you power it..

USB specifications state that a usb port is rated for 0.5 Amps of power.

the 10 ports and a 2amp input don't add up to that spec, so it is possible that the hub is current limiting each port to a much lower output, which in turn won't allow the dvd drive to work with it..

though i will wait for a response to wayne613's post before going any farther for now.

next project? subaru brz
                              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                              X