Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it okay to use a car battery charger on a 12v SLA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it okay to use a car battery charger on a 12v SLA?

I *think* it is okay to do this, but thought I'd sample the collective wisdom.

I have a 12 volt SLA similar to this:

It's not exactly that one, but they are the same type.

Can I charge it with something intended for an automotive battery like this:

I don't think it will damage it and I'll check the voltage while it charges but wanted to ask the collective if it will work okay.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Bump. As soon as I can locate this battery (somewhere in the house), I'll try it with the car charger and let you know.
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:

Comment

have you tried searching?

this:
      http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

particularly this part:

Battery Charging Voltages and Currents:

Most flooded batteries should be charged at no more than the "C/8" rate for any sustained period. "C/8" is the battery capacity at the 20-hour rate divided by 8. For a 220 AH battery, this would equal 26 Amps. Gelled cells should be charged at no more than the C/20 rate, or 5% of their amp-hour capacity. The Concorde AGM batteries are a special case - the can be charged at up the the Cx4 rate, or 400% of the capacity for the bulk charge cycle. However, since very few battery cables can take that much current, we don't recommend you try this at home. To avoid cable overheating, you should stick to C/4 or less.
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Ditto.

The main problem you will have is overcurrent. You may (will?) have to insert a resistor to limit it.
        That SLA battery is probably AGM in case you find that confusing. (I am very certain it is AGM, but not game to "guarantee". If not, it could be a GelCel.)

The other likely problem is continual charging at or above 14.4VDC instead of dropping down to 13.8V or shutting down.

If/when the battery gets warm, stop charging.

Comment

otherwise, if you have any r/c vehicles/batteries, many of the decent multi-chemistry-capable chargers should be able to do this as well-- they are pretty common, so if you have a charger that takes less then a hour per pack, and cost more then $25, it will probably work..
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

You could charge it if you wanted to, just put a current limiting resistor in series to limit the current at below the maximum rate specified by the manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
              have you tried searching?
              Touche. Remind me to think of a 'special' custom title for you.

Thanks, guys. The overcurrent thing was exactly what I was worried about. I think I'll simply get one of those wall-wart charger devices and play it safe.
              Want to:

Comment

Working...
              X