VIA SP13000. Which SSD work with it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA SP13000. Which SSD work with it?

I have a 60GB 7200 rpm SATA Travelstar drive.

I just got a OCZ Agility 2 60GB SSD and upon hooking it up, the computer doesn't boot past the Bios splash screen.

Which SSD drives work with this mobo? Thanks. I'm looking for a 60GB/64GB drive.
    SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
    GPSing - Digital Speedo
    Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
    Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Yes, it will work.
    SSD's are recognized by the BIOS as just a hard drive.

However, unless you're running Win7, you aren't going to take full advantage of the SSD's capabilities. XP doesn't have the capability of utilizing the TRIM command, which helps keep the SSD's memory cleaned up and useable for storage.

Basically, as your XP system writes to the drive, it will fill up, as XP can't clear out memory blocks due to the lack of command support for the SSD. When the SSD is full, you'll have problems.

There may be third-party utilities available for XP (don't know - haven't looked) that help with this.

[EDIT]
    Your post got me curious, so I did some looking. A Google search for XP SSD yielded this gem:
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...o-SSD-friendly

This is by someone at OCZ, and they manufacture SSDs.
    All the steps they specify all make logical sense to me. If you get an SSD and plan to run XP, I would definitely follow these steps!
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

What I was saying that is I installed the drive and it won't boot up now. I hooked the drive up to my Mac through a USB thing and I copied files to it so the drive is working, but the Bios doesn't seem to like the SSD. It might be the Sandforce controller not compatible or something.
      I'm going to return the drive now for another SSD that doesn't have a Sandforce being my SP13000 doesn't even have SATAII I think.

That forum post is from 2008, maybe the newer drives perform better in XP.
      SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
      GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

There could be an incompatibility.
        Is your BIOS up to date? That may help.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

My bios is up to date with the 1.07 version from 2005. Which is old, but it's the last one they made.
          GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Working...
          X