V.A.G. questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V.A.G. questions

well I have been doing some research and found my OBDLINK is not compatible with VAG car's
    so as I looked around ross tech come up 99% of the time with its hex-can+USB really this is what I need but the price is a bit OTT but with these sort of thing you get what you pay for and I do believe ross tech is properly the best...

But I also found a vag/techo command is this a china love you long time ? (nastie clone)
    and is it kkl can-bus compatible?

I really don't want to buy a Chinese spesh!!!!! Has anyone had any experience with clones? kkl and can-bus in one?

Is the something like ross-tech hex can-USB at a lower price as I don't need all the intense software All i really want it for is to be able to read and clear trouble codes and poss service light and basic stuff regards

I have both a Ross-Tech hex-USB and several other models of OBDII readers. I am speaking only about my 2001 VW Beetle, but I believe this applies to all VW's. I've not had any issues with most quality readers performing standard OBDII functions on the VW. However, if you want to read back a code like P0152 and find out what it means, or to reprogram stuff like the unlock doors/lower windows function, the VAG-Com tool is what you need.

My car is not Canbus, so make sure any reader you purchase is CAN compatible.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
      I have both a Ross-Tech hex-USB and several other models of OBDII readers. I am speaking only about my 2001 VW Beetle, but I believe this applies to all VW's. I've not had any issues with most quality readers performing standard OBDII functions on the VW. However, if you want to read back a code like P0152 and find out what it means, or to reprogram stuff like the unlock doors/lower windows function, the VAG-Com tool is what you need.

My car is not Canbus, so make sure any reader you purchase is CAN compatible.
      No I dont really need it for reprograming functions and I have autodata so Im ok with codes

can you recomend a cable like hex-can bus use cable? apart from ross tech
      regards

Comment

Take a look at OBDLINK. I've had good luck with them.
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
          Take a look at OBDLINK. I've had good luck with them.
          Thats what I have got the OBDLINK so does it work with most vag's?

Comment

what kind of car do you have? that is very important in selecting the right OBD reader.
            I have a 08' Rabbit and I need the hex+can+usb.

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
              what kind of car do you have? that is very important in selecting the right OBD reader.
              I have a 08' Rabbit and I need the hex+can+usb.
              this is how i see it OBDlink works with most protocols and as Ive read on the internet it can connect to most of the vag grounp its just scantool has not really opened up the software to fuction properly as ross-tech seems to have hold of that part of the market im looking into buying a maxscan vag 405 aa they seem to be pritty good

am i right? or have I lost the path on the way?

regards

Comment

I have a similar reader and it won't connect to my car either, so if I want to use obd in my carpc I need to buy the rosstech reader(cable).
                I don't see any other alternative.
                ones somebody on vwownersclub pointed me out one from dealextreme.com, but I didn't hear any feedback from nobody and I have skipped it.

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
                  I have a similar reader and it won't connect to my car either, so if I want to use obd in my carpc I need to buy the rosstech reader(cable).
                  I don't see any other alternative.
                  ones somebody on vwownersclub pointed me out one from dealextreme.com, but I didn't hear any feedback from nobody and I have skipped it.
                  vag405 mate 50 its the only way

Comment

I think that I need newer then that, that software it's good for the kkl, but it's not good for can-bus.

Comment

Obdlink works on my 2001 Beetle. It OUGHT to work on your car, but it will only access the standard OBD features, not the full set of vag stuff. That part is software driven and rosstech sells software for accessing it all.

However, you need to use their cable in conjunction with their software. Basically, you can download their software for free but it checks for some special hardware in the cable or it won't work. So obdlink won't work with the rosstech software. That's what the hex-USB cable is for -the rosstech software, not the vag hardware.

That's why most modern OBD readers will work on a VW but won't work with the rosstech software.

Bottom line - if you just want to access standard OBD functions, reset the check engine light, and so forth, a regular OBD reader will work for you. If you want full access to all of the proprietary system parts, you'll need the rosstech cable and software.

Forum member Vitaly is an expert on this stuff. PM him with any questions. He sells obdlink.
                      Want to:

Comment

Working...
                      X