HD RADIO Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD RADIO Help

My radio is the Visteon HD radio setup, I used Mitch's serial cable and it worked. I recently purchased Mitch's USB version of the cable which does make that annoying clicking sounds go away when the carpc boots. I do have a problem however.. with both cables. the problem is that sometimes the radio will work and other times it say fail to initialize ( centrafuse ). is there anyway to fix this?
    CarPc
    Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Installation & Fabrication [98%]

Total Completion Level [96.9 %]

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ct-driver.html

Does it fail after waking up, changing the input source (HD Radio --> MP3 for example) or is each time a cold boot?

Not a direct answer to your question but I believe the clicking was when Windows scanned the serial ports to see if a mouse is present. I haven't had my radio connected in a while but I know there is a registry edit you can do that basically disables this check in windows for a specified serial port. We used to see issues at work where scanners were detected as a mouse after a reboot.
    Click for my projects
    2006 F150 with removable Nexus 7

2006 Mustang with indash CarPC (Retired)

Comment

YES, The clicking is no big deal.... the usb cable shouldnt do it... if i remember i turned off serial enumerations in the driver
      but the rs232 one will click, unless you edit your registry... and u have to find that in this forum...

need more info on your issue... but most people wire it wrong

the radio MUST have power when the PC has power, so wiring the RED wire on the radio to ignition/accessort is NOT A GOOD CHOICE
      me i just tie red/yellow togther and connect to pc supply 12v... since the cable controls the power, red is ok to tie to yellow
      -Thanks
      Mitch
      www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
      May healing waters bury all my pain
      Wind, Carry me home
      The fabric of reality is tearing apart
      The piece of me that died
      Will return To live again

Comment

yeah, I do have the radio connected to the ignition.
        so I should switch the power to PC power(+) supply then... what about the ground( - ), shouldn't I use the PC ground?

this also raises another question, radio memory? for stations or is that handled by centrafuse?
        CarPc
        Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Comment

yes.. the pc ground is OK, it depends on how your wiring is.. i would consider the radio an computer device...
          so.. you can really ground it anywhere.... but using the pcs power supply ground is fine...
          there isnt a noise isssue... the issue of NOISE is RFI from the pc supply... it will jam RF freqs and kill reception
          so.. i try to say keep tuner far away from pc supply... but it really is keep pc supply far away from antenna!

yes.. memory is done by CF

so.. you can connect, red and yellow to 12V from the pc supply, what is live when the pc is on!
          or keep yellow on 12v constant... and red to pc supply (red draws 1-5ma)
          like hard drive power...
          see ignition goes off before your pc is done going into standby, and the pc tries to tell the tuner to turn off
          and it cant... and that alone will cause a resume issues. because my code thinks it lost communcation to the tuner and will error out

also if using my usb cable, i would recomend direct to pc, not though a hub, but if u go though a hub, and its a powered hub
          the same rules apply, it has to have power when the pc has power, if it goes off with ignition, then the pc wont be able to talk
          to the tuner
          -Thanks
          Mitch
          www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
          Wind, Carry me home

Comment

Mitch, I think you have made the solution clear to me now. I will adjust my wiring and see if it works. My tuner is far away from my PC .. behind the dash because of the antenna. CARPC under passenger seat. Waiting for this damn weather to get better.. Thanks. I will keep this thread open and keep you posted.

Chris
            CarPc
            Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Comment

So, I just rewired the tuner the way you have it Mitch. It works perfectly. The only issue i have now is that when i come out of standby both the radio and the media player plays at the same time.. if i listen to the radio and shut off the car and it goes into standby..then i turn the car back on and the PC resumes.. the radio plays only.. but if i switch over to the media player and shut down(standby) and then resumes.. both plays.. I don't know how the fix that.. (centrafuse 3.1)
              CarPc
              Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Comment

thats a CF issue...
                some confusing settings in cF, do you have buffered audio on? if so, set the playback line to none
                and also make sure you line in the windows mixer stays muted... if it unmutes.. u need to see why...
                in any case, technically the hd radio should be muted when its source isnt selected... i never had any issue in CF
                but i really dont use CF, while its simple, its too simple

post in their forums.. (not the cf here) if u still have issue
                -Thanks
                Mitch
                www.rush2112.net

Sun, Come shine my way
                Wind, Carry me home

Comment

thanks match.. whats up with that UBB Led controller?
                  CarPc
                  Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Comment

Working...
                  X