Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get physical buttons to work over USB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get physical buttons to work over USB?

So we just got these new buttons in
    http://store.mp3car.com/Silver_Metal..._p/cbl-113.htm

And they rock. I know I wanna use one but I don't know what for yet. I know I could easily hook it up some function of the car, but I would love for them to trigger some keyboard action on the computer.

How would one go about attaching a physical button to perform such action over USB? Custom driver? Fusion brain?

Thanks guys.

all you need is a serial port- http://www.winamp.com/plugin/com-por...rol-v141/80524

you will be pleasantly surprised how easy this is to do and how versatile this little program is. you can pretty much do anything with it. you do have to have winamp running in the background, but it controls a lot more then winamp.
    Last edited by trader007; 03-14-2011, 08:03 PM.

Comment

So wiring wise, how would you work that out, each button has 4 contacts on them. the serial port has what 15 pins? My mobo doesn't have a serial port though.

Comment

Originally posted by optikalefx View Post
        So wiring wise, how would you work that out, each button has 4 contacts on them. the serial port has what 15 pins? My mobo doesn't have a serial port though.
        we need a wiring diagram, schematic, or labeling of the pins in order to know what they all do.

it appears that the switch is a common dpdt switch, but without any info for or against that, it is almost useless..
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

the buttons just close a circuit i would imagine? I guess I'm just being ignorant here but I thought pressing a button just sends 1 signal that you could pick up via the computer. I'm sure its not that easy.

Comment

sheesh i provide a direct link and i gotta tell you to look in the help file? all the info needed is in the program itself. its very basic.

most motherboards have an internal serial port if they dont have an external one. OR you can buy a usb-to-serial adapter for $4 on ebay.

there are instructions in there too for the 15 button setup. you need diodes for that, but its still simple.
            Last edited by trader007; 03-14-2011, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Hey now lol. That download is an EXE which I can't open on my mac. Yea I have that cable here so ill give it a shot and see what I come up with.

Comment

That button looks a lot like a combo power switch/power light. I imagine there are two pins for power, and three for the power led.

Here's one that comes prewired:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/62...tch_w_LED.html
                1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

The screws make it look like DPDT switch, but presumably the LED will be across one of them.

You do need to get the schematic of the switch. Some are useless for anything other than their LED voltage (ie - if SPST with illumination wired as part of the switch).

Comment

Hey now lol. That download is an EXE which I can't open on my mac. Yea I have that cable here so ill give it a shot and see what I come up with.
                    youre still the one that bought a mac:P

Comment

So we just got these new buttons in
                      http://store.mp3car.com/Silver_Metal..._p/cbl-113.htm

And they rock. I know I wanna use one but I don't know what for yet.
                      Thanks guys.
                      Hi optikalefx, I have “almost” the same switch in the car. Mine are different internally as they are 8 pin devices with dual momentary On or Off and separate LED connection. However point of this post is to say they look great in the car, very neat elegant low profile design, so good I installed six.
                      Palm sized ainol MiniPC, 8" Transreflective PRO, Win10, Reverse camera, Dual 10HZ GPS RX's for Speed Display & Sat Nav, FM-DAB & Phone Modules, iDrive interface. T-Screen HVAC control, custom microcontrollers, microcode and FE.

Comment

Do you have a pic of the buttons? I'd love to see what they look like in the car

Comment

Unfortunately the pic’s were lousy. They are mounted on a temporary backing panel which is also aluminium so reflections, blending and everything just don’t do them justice. They control the HVAC via a micro for stand alone mode operation when the PC is not running. I have 4 more to fit and these will be monitored by the PC.
                          Palm sized ainol MiniPC, 8" Transreflective PRO, Win10, Reverse camera, Dual 10HZ GPS RX's for Speed Display & Sat Nav, FM-DAB & Phone Modules, iDrive interface. T-Screen HVAC control, custom microcontrollers, microcode and FE.

Comment

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9521

You can hook the button right up to that (shouldn't need any other components other than wires to put into the holes), and read the state over serial fairly easily.
                            "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                            RevFE
                            My Shop

Comment

Chas is gonna be mad at you for ruining his new product friday post on this item!

But now that you have... my plan is to use this thing as my push button starter
                              Last edited by Sonicxtacy02; 03-15-2011, 02:02 PM.
                              mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                              Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                              Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Working...
                              X