Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USB device not recognized after cutting/joinning cable. What can i do to fix these ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB device not recognized after cutting/joinning cable. What can i do to fix these ?

Well guys i have done this lots of times but now i dont know what went wrong. I explain: I have cut an USB cable and then i had joined again (i needed to do it cause i needed to pass the cable through a hole...) so then i have got an error when using my new cable: USB device not recognized....

So what can i say about these cables is that i used two different cables and i joined them....and one cable has yellow wiring and the other grey wirings...i mean the 2 usb cables have different colour wiring inside of them...one is all yellow/gold and the other its grey (i guess these has to be with the quality or type of cable??!!)

What do you think of these ? Am i joining wrong type of cables or what ?!!?

Thanks for any advice!

So, you're saying that neither cable follows the wiring code for USB cables?

Use a multi-meter and this wiring diagram and make sure you wired it correctly.

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
    1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

are you soldering the wires? some wires have flux on them to protect them so meshing them together wont work. you have to burn off the flux first.
      http://gamercard.zaamit.com/nxe/da+guy+there.jpg

Planning stage 100%
      resource gathering 80%
      Build stage 20%
      Total Completion NEVER!

Comment

No the problem is not the pinout cause the different cables have same colour cables inside (red, black, white, green i guess )

Comment

i still suggest metering the connections to make sure that they are pinned correctly..

also, sometimes, if you didn't connect the shields together, that might have a effect..
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

How can i use the multimeter ?! I dont know what to do ?! What will i have to measure and how ?! Thanks!

Comment

use the 'ohm' or resistance setting. you should see something very close to 0.00 ohms when you touch each side of a wire.

ie: if you place one lead on the outside shield of one side of the usb cable, and place the other lead on the other shield, the meter should read something very close to 0.00 ohms.

many meters beep when there is low resistance like this, so you might be able to listen for the beep as well.

from there, you basically make sure that when you place one lead on 'terminal A1', that the other 'terminal A2' is what gives you 0 ohms. if you need to put one lead on 'terminal B2' to get 0ohms, or metering across the correct terminals doesn't change the meter to anything near 0, it indicates that it is wired incorrectly.
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
              X