Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android Tablet FM USB Tuner?

Hey guys,

Been searching and cant figure this one out.How are you guys tuning FM on your android tablets? Does someone make a USB FM tuner and an APP for it? Or are you guys doing it some other way?

Originally posted by scl789 View Post
    Hey guys,

Been searching and cant figure this one out.How are you guys tuning FM on your android tablets? Does someone make a USB FM tuner and an APP for it? Or are you guys doing it some other way?
    Some tables (like Dell Streak), just like phones (like Droid X), come with an FM tuner that uses the headphone cable as the antenna. I'm not sure if anyone has made a driver/frontend for any of the USB radios used in x86-based car PCs - I'm sure it can be done, but writing drivers for Android gets complicated, so your average Android developer might not be up to the task. Your best bet is to get a tablet that has an FM module already built in.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    My Project: All-in-one Double Din Unit

Comment

Yeah the tablet I am looking at does not have an integrated FM tuner. How is everyone solving this issue? Just putting a standard after market stereo under the tablet?

Comment

Why does this thread ends with the post above this one? Im also someone who is seriously thinking about putting an android tablet in my car. but i would like to replace it for my current radio. but i do not want to lose the uppertunity to listen to FM radio.

i found that some of you guys use a 3g connection to listen to radio. but the 3g reception isnt always that great. so this will result in a buggy or no radio listening experience.
        besides the reception does the streaming radio costs quite a lot data, so it costs quite a lot money if you stream alot.

so is there no alternative to use a usb FM receiver or something like that?

hope to find some nice solutions

Comment

Not realy a working option yet but more of a concept I have at this point but, I am looking to add a bluetooth module to my HD Zoom HD radio so I can control it from a Anddroid device. I assume it is possable since you can A: control the device from a serial port on a computer and B: you can now connect to a bluetooth serial device from Android. I was thinking about using either a Arduino Uno with bluetooth (cheapest option since I have one ) or a IOIO (more expensive) which has a little more capability and built in bluetooth support. The other bonus of these 2 options is they can have multiple TTL conections so I can expand a little to maybe include a Sirius tunner. As a side bonus they both have IO's so theareticaly they can also have hardware buttons wired in for tunning and use in other apps if they are setup to emulate bluetooth media buttons. The only issue is of course the analog audio would go directly to the same input/amp as the Android device so it would need to be muted at the radio if you get a call of it is giving nav info. This is of course all theory at this point but might be a option.

Comment

Ok, thats one solution ... isnt there a simpler solution? somthing like just a small bluetooth radio? wich you can connect and control directly via bluetooth to your android tablet or something like it? (just thinking out loud)

Comment

or maybe if you have some programming skills this could be something? : http://www2.dasilvas.info/hd-radio

found something else; a tablet with FM radio build in. its a indian build. dont know if it would work in Europe and US aswell.. you can even watch TV on it.

Cyrus TV Pad:

Specs:
              Cyrus Tvpad :
              1. Processor : MV 955, 806 MHz
              2. Memory : 512 MB flash + 512 MB RAM, Micro sd up to 32 GB
              3. Android 2.3 Gingerbread
              4. TV Analog & Digital, FM radio
              5. Layar 7 Inch WVGA TFT LCD,800*480,Capacitive,Multitouch
              6. Camera 5 Mega Pixel with auto focus
              7. Bluetooth,mini usb,WiFi Router – bisa internetan berlima via WiFi
              8. Fitur GPS (Global Positioning System), G-sensor,E-compass
              9. Music (MP3)
              10. Video (WMA,MPEG4)
              11. Free Internet Telkomsel selama 3 bulan
              12. Dimensi : 193.5mm*126.4mm*14mm
              13. SMS.MMS,EMAIL
              14. Batere 3800mAh
              15. Network : HSUPA/HSDPA/WCDMA/EDGE/GPRS/GSM

price: around 236 euro's

source: http://www.tokobbc.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=104

dont know how the support will be, when and if there will be software updates from Cyrus..
              Last edited by mikeymika; 03-31-2012, 05:54 AM.

Comment

I think the bluetooth/rs232 thing is good using the radio linked to in post #7. Just need an app to talk to the radio.

Managing the audio will be an extra little challenge since the audio from the radio would go direct to an amp, not piped through bluetooth to the tablet.
                03 Cadillac CTS
                ZOTAC G43ITX-A-E 2.5ghz Core i3 2GB 160GB SSD
                Win7 Ultimate - OpenMobile - Directed HD - Wifi
                OMMaps + MS GPS Puck - WiFi via LTE Android phone
                2 Zones - Matrix Orbital LCD - Arduino - Build Pics

Comment

Managing the audio will be an extra little challenge since the audio from the radio would go direct to an amp, not piped through bluetooth to the tablet.
                  Normally the tablet is hooked into the amps? I can't imagine that directing the radio audio straight to the amp instead of through the tablet would cause any difference. I've been following your other thread about the android radio, and if I knew how to program with hardware I'd help - I'm just a lonely hobbiest software dev though hehe...
                  Current Worklog: TBA - '05 Rav4 (Mobo Dead).
                  www.rav4world.com - Forums for Rav4 owners
                  www.flavorfeasts.com - Cooking website/forums
                  -Basic forums live atm, come contribute!

Comment

Yes, that's why I say it will be a challenge. A basic bluetooth serial RS232 will not send the radio audio back to the tablet. They have RCA outputs that need to go somewhere. Not sure most tablets will take that as an input.

I hear you on the hobbiest part. I dabble but have not even attempted to jump into Android.

Glad to see you're still hanging around
                    03 Cadillac CTS

Comment

Hello, just joined this fabulous forum today! I believe I have the ability to do a hardware driver, if I can get ahold of a USB tuner that works under Linux it can be ported to Android. I have been looking for one of these myself, and my only solution was to use a car pc with a Happauge tuner dongle or card... Im still trying to decide if I want to go Android or Windows 7.... But I saw one thread where they have 7" capacitive touch screens, and if it was at all readable in my convertible I think I would lean toward the PC...

While we are on the subject... automakers radios are kind of basic, but they have years and years of development and improvements... I'm wondering how good an FM tuner (card, dongle, built into a tablet) would actually work compared to a factory radio...

Comment

Hi. The USB radio stick(s) tend to be poor in car environments. The radio(s) in question are DirectedHD and Visteon. The can be controlled over a serial port.

I have been searching, and so far, the best (I think) is either a library package that will allow communications via a USB / RS232 adapter, or a bluetooth RS232 adapter. The bluetooth adapter HAS to support DTR signal. From what I see, those tend to round $80-100. The library allows using the serial adapter via USB host mode that Android now supports. And does this without requiring root priviledges.

That's a quick summary of what I have found so far. I'm not sure if any driver would be required, but a radio application that knows how to talk to these radios, via the com port, is what I think is required.

Cheers.
                        03 Cadillac CTS

Comment

Do You Have Any Other Technical Details To Share?

Originally posted by jmullan99 View Post
                          Hi. The USB radio stick(s) tend to be poor in car environments. The radio(s) in question are DirectedHD and Visteon. The can be controlled over a serial port.

I have been searching, and so far, the best (I think) is either a library package that will allow communications via a USB / RS232 adapter, or a bluetooth RS232 adapter. The bluetooth adapter HAS to support DTR signal. From what I see, those tend to round $80-100. The library allows using the serial adapter via USB host mode that Android now supports. And does this without requiring root priviledges.

That's a quick summary of what I have found so far. I'm not sure if any driver would be required, but a radio application that knows how to talk to these radios, via the com port, is what I think is required.

Cheers.
                          Can you post the details of your search? I'm a software and hardware engineer and have all the parts except the FM receiver. I have a working Android 4.0.1 device with a 7" touch screen display currently working via HDMI input from the android device. The audio is something I'm working out as the device's audio is passed through the HDMI connection. I'm trying to figure out a way to either split the digital signal and route that into the speakers with some type of programmable switch for the audio to come from android device or external audio. Not sure yet what my options are, but I'm playing around with the IOIO board being controlled by the Android device through a custom built app. Any suggestions on an AMP and wiring? I'm putting it in a 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe with the Double DIN expansion from Metra for separating the radio from the A/C control.

I suppose I could just hook up the video to my phone using the CustomGadz X2 Module, but I still have the same issue of no FM radio except for streaming it.

Comment

Here is the link to the library I speak of. It comes with a price tag.

Slick USB Library

I discussed briefly with Mitch (who build the serial cable for directed/visteon radios) and he said that the DTR line for serial must be supported to get the radio to turn on and off. Just turning on the power won't cut it. I started by searching eBay for bluetooth RS232 serial devices and looked at a dozen or two to find ones that support the DTR line. Ones that did not were fairly inexpensive (say $20-$40) and ones that did support were around $80+

So, with the library you could use Mitch's cable directly, but have to buy the library and then make an app that uses that library. With the Bluetooth you don't need to buy the library (but buy the device and Mitch's cable), but still of course need to make an app. With either option you need to handle the audio routing from Radio to Amps some how.

I have looked at making Android apps just briefly, and have yet to dive in. Since I have an LTE based Wifi hotspot for the car, I will likely settle for streaming for now.

Hope that recaps my research sufficiently. If not, ask away.

Cheers,
                            John
                            03 Cadillac CTS

Comment

You can use a relay to control the DTR line if you know the voltage that the port uses. Serial ports can be a little crazy because they support various voltages and will depend on the device but you don't HAVE to have DTR support if you can provide the right voltages through a relay.

Comment

Working...
                              X