carputers and cold weather?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carputers and cold weather?!

I live in sweden, and the winter here can be rather cold sometimes!
    What happens with the CP then?

Do i need to build in a heater in the CP box?
    What about the condensation in the box?

Does someone else live in a cold climate like ours, have u had any problems?

//Peter

Believe me, ur cpu will love it. Recall that it is better to keep the cpu's cool. Now one other thing u should watch out for is moisture settleling in the box. Put one of those moisture absurbing things in ur box to help solve that problem.
    abcd-1
    Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
    You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Just a suggestion, but search on the matter, we've had a few discussions on the weather and carpc's, and i think the last one hadn the exact same title even.
      -Nick

Comment

Processors like the cold. This one runs at -10 degrees:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20021216/index.html

I'd be more worried about condensation and cold with the drive though.

Rob
        Old Systems retired due to new car
        New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

This topic has been beat to death in other threads any search for cold or temp will bring them up.
          TruckinMP3
          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Re: carputers and cold weather?!

Originally posted by mrzigzag

Do i need to build in a heater in the CP box?
            //Peter

NO!

You may have a sluggish lcd in the cold I've heard though, but as soon as the car warms up you should be fine.
            [H]4 Life
            My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
            It will be done sometime in the next generation.
            I'm a lesbian too.
            I am for hire!

Comment

if there was a problem with it running when its cold, everything would be just fine with its OFF. So worst case, you wait 10min while your car warms up to turns your **** on..

Comment

well we had some really cold spells this winter and nothing complained. that is accept for the display which was just slow till the heat kicked on. Everything else likes the cold. Heat is your real enemy

Comment

You guys should also take into consideration that a pc component sitting at an extremely low temperature then being turned on and heating up extremely fast causes excess expansion and contraction eventually leading to microscopic cracking that could lead to system instability and ultimately failure.

Comment

Hi mrzigzag, I live in Finland and we have at least 6 weeks of year temperature under -25C and 10 weeks under -5C so i really do know what you mean!
                    -5 is ok with 10 minutes driving before booting, -10 goes unless it isnīt over a week continuously. The problem in long term frost is that car doesnīt warm up unless you first drive at least an hour and even then the humidity inside the car can be hideous. The MB and CPU survives even -35C but the memory dimms will initially blow up. Also you will wreck your hdd if starting cold under -15C (liquid bearings). So i suggest that in cold weathers (the weathers that we call cold... ) it is better if you didntīt start the PC at all (last winter i broke 4 dimms of RAM and 3 HDDīs).

greetings from neighboring country,

/pete

Comment

perhaps you can use some sort of heating pad to get things thawed out?
                      aka Kumaneko
                      "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
                      Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
                      mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
                      Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Peetu
                        Hi mrzigzag, I live in Finland and we have at least 6 weeks of year temperature under -25C and 10 weeks under -5C so i really do know what you mean!
                        -5 is ok with 10 minutes driving before booting, -10 goes unless it isnīt over a week continuously. The problem in long term frost is that car doesnīt warm up unless you first drive at least an hour and even then the humidity inside the car can be hideous. The MB and CPU survives even -35C but the memory dimms will initially blow up. Also you will wreck your hdd if starting cold under -15C (liquid bearings). So i suggest that in cold weathers (the weathers that we call cold... ) it is better if you didntīt start the PC at all (last winter i broke 4 dimms of RAM and 3 HDDīs).

greetings from neighboring country,

/pete
                        Its similarly cold here (Chicago, IL, USA), and I haven't blown anything up in the winter, but I did have problems with motherboards and the cold refusing to boot (as I've posted a number of times).
                        -Nick

Comment

You could place one of those internal space heater (blow dryers) things into your case, they draw minimal power so you could leave them running while out of your car for short times. Also, most people have them set up to run while your car is plugged in so your computer could always be nice and tosty at -30C.

Comment

mp3dub,
                            Iīve never been in Chigago (i would want to if had a cange) but when checking from map the latitude in my backyard is 67;27,781 (150miles north from arctic circle) when it is 41;52,nnnn in Chigago (difference is about same as Chigago - Mediterriean). So i would dare to say that the weather conditions couldnīt be exactly at the same level, but maybe my description of the weather was little cursory. (-35C is -31F) We have approx 8 months of year snow on the ground... Of course if mrzigzag lives in southern Sweden, the weather might be rather like in Chigago.

Anyway i forgot to say at my last post that the placement of the CP is more than imortant. Last winter my CP was in the back trunk but i transferred it into passengers leg room so it stopped breaking apart but there were still few bluescreen problems. The kind of room heater that you leave on while youre not driving (works with gasoline or AC electricty) betters the situation enormously but when you cannot use it you might forget that it wasnīt on and accidentally boot your PC. After all the car is in deep frost half a year continuously.

I think that the condensation water freezes over the RAM and when it suddenly melts, it causes electricity leading ionization and ZAP- youīre gone.

/pete

Comment

Working...
                            X