20 pin to 24 pin atx

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 pin to 24 pin atx

I have an M2 ATX power supply but my mother board uses the 24 pin connection.. i bought that 20 pin to 24 pin adapter..it works..but damn..extra wires for a small enclosure... any other way around that?
    CarPc
    Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Installation & Fabrication [98%]

Total Completion Level [96.9 %]

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ct-driver.html

Originally posted by chris350 View Post
    I have an M2 ATX power supply but my mother board uses the 24 pin connection.. i bought that 20 pin to 24 pin adapter..it works..but damn..extra wires for a small enclosure... any other way around that?
    I think M4 has 24pins. If you wanna stay with M2 ATX, I don't think there's any way around using an adapter
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    My Project: All-in-one Double Din Unit

Comment

Yeah, I figured as much. Only other solution I can see is to cut off the 20 pin connector and splice in the 24 pin adapter but that's alot of splicing and the M4 won't fit in my morex case, I think the M2 alone was designed to fit in it.
      CarPc
      Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Comment

Are you positive that you need all 24 pins? Most motherboards will run just fine with the 20 pin connector.
        1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

Originally posted by kegobeer View Post
          Are you positive that you need all 24 pins? Most motherboards will run just fine with the 20 pin connector.
          ditto
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

how can I figure that out? i use to Intel Dual core D510MO motherboard...
            CarPc
            Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Comment

Originally posted by chris350 View Post
              how can I figure that out? i use to Intel Dual core D510MO motherboard...
              The extra 4 pins are for an additional 3.3, 5, and 12V circuit. Atom motherboards definitely don't need that. I have a 510MO and it works just fine with the standard 20 pin connector.
              1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

just try it. if it doesn't work, then it needs it.

the asus boards that i have tried have not required it yet.

next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by kegobeer View Post
                  The extra 4 pins are for an additional 3.3, 5, and 12V circuit. Atom motherboards definitely don't need that. I have a 510MO and it works just fine with the standard 20 pin connector.
                  ok, does it fit only one way ..meaning the extra four pins left out are towards the center of the board or towards the edge? I mean I have my CarPC set up in the car but I was thinking to add an Intel Z-U130 4GB USB SSD for the operating system so I was just thinking if i can get rid of that extra 24 pin adapter it will free up some room and make it look neater...

also, do you have a high pitch whine noise with this board? I know its a ground loop problem, but the thing is, I used a pico itx board before and didn't get that noise, i didn't change anything of the wiring, just built this pc and put it in the place of the pico..
                  CarPc
                  Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Comment

I did have a noise issue, but mine was due to a very cheap amp. I had noise with my DCDC-USB and my Opus. I put in a ground loop isolator (a power filter in-between my power distribution block and my computer) for less than $10 that fixed the problem. Once I upgraded my amplifier, the noise disappeared.

Automotive power supplies are notorious for introducing noise. Sometimes there just isn't anything you can do about it other than use a filter. I read an interesting post somewhere (it was in the last few days, but I don't remember the forum) where a guy tried six different amps, all from excellent companies, and three of them had noise and three of them didn't. You can try a different ground location, you can try running a ground back to the battery, you can try grounding your RCA cables, but if that doesn't work just put in a filter and be done with it.

Comment

As for amp, I am using an MTX amp.....I was trying to avoid the ground loop isolators. I've used them in the past and they do work but its one less thing to deal with..thanks Keg-o-beer!
                      CarPc
                      Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Comment

you might need to ground the mounting points on the motherboard if you mounted everything on wood, or plexiglass. also, is everything grounded to the same spot?

changing equipment is enough to cause a ground loop that the old system might have covered up.

next project? subaru brz
                        carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                        X