Gutting cheap asian double-din unit for chassis, screen, and buttons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutting cheap asian double-din unit for chassis, screen, and buttons

Anybody have thoughts on the feasibility of getting one of these sub-$200 double-din head units off of ebay and gutting it for use with a real x86 MB? I'm looking for the flexibility of an actual carpc build, but I like having a few hardware buttons for volume etc, and having the CD drive built in. I'm having a hard time finding an affordable chassis/screen with buttons combination. Everything seems to be all screen and no hardware buttons here on mp3car and other carpc sites.

I'm wondering if the screen would work with a MB with LVDS video, and if I could adapt the buttons to work with a resistive to USB board.

Anybody tried this yet?

Here's an example I'm looking at on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/7-touch-screen-d...#ht_8764wt_986

Thanks!

-Jerimiah

Possible? Yes.
    Practical? No.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

That unit's resolution is 480x240 - I'm not even sure that Windows will work with resolutions under 640x480. The standard for a 7" screen is 800x480 - everything else gets too small to read anyways. There are units with higher resolution screens, like this one and this one. I think the one with the detachable face would be the easier of the two to hack, but still very difficult.
      That being said, I still think you're very likely to end up wasting your money - those units aren't meant to be disassembled and those ribbon cables are pretty fragile...
      ------------------------------------------------------------
      My Project: All-in-one Double Din Unit

Comment

Ahh, yes, I forgot about the resolution of the screen.

I'm sure you're right about those units not being very modular - ie. they are pretty hard to rip apart, small ribbon cables, etc. Thanks for the detailed response, nivanov!

I guess it's back to the drawing board for me, this time with no shortcuts. :-)

-Jerimiah

Comment

I've gone a similar path without much success. Instead of buying a new 2DIN unit what I did was procure a unit with broken LCD and touch screen for less than $20.

Main Bottleneck: None of the VGA capable LCD modules that I have or heard of will fit into this 2 DIN casing!!! The outer dimensions of LCD in the casing is much smaller.
          Last edited by DigitalVampire; 08-09-2011, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalVampire View Post
            I've gone a similar path without much success. Instead of buying a new 2DIN unit what I did was procure a unit with broken LCD and touch screen for less than $20.

Main Bottleneck: None of the LCD modules that I have or heard of will fit into this 2 DIN casing!!!
            But what about ByByte's enclosures? http://www.bybyte.com/doubedin_lcd.htm
            ------------------------------------------------------------
            My Project: All-in-one Double Din Unit

Comment

I like ByByte's enclosure a lot except that it has the same problem I described earlier - it's ALL SCREEN. I'd rather have a slightly smaller screen with a slot-loader at the top and a few buttons on the side - VOL (hopefully a real knob), MUTE, SRC (cycle through HD/FM/AM, CD, BT A2DP, MP3 library, IPOD, AUX jack), NAV, and PHONE. This keeps the unit looking fairly stock and increases the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). We share a car and I don't want her to have to adjust or learn anything too crazy. So it would pretty much work like a stock stereo to the uninitiated, except there would be extra soft-menus that I would use for OBDII, trip computer, maintenance records, CD ripping and who knows what else.

That's the reason these cheap asian units are attractive to me in the first place - I generally like the faceplate layouts.

This one is really close to what I'm looking for.

-Jerimiah
              Last edited by Jerimiah Ham; 08-09-2011, 04:26 PM. Reason: Added link

Comment

Working...
              X