Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a good idea to control a inverter based system?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good idea to control a inverter based system?

Starting to near the finish line for getting my install into the car. My setup uses two systems, one that is controlled by a OPUS 320, then another that uses a 600 watt inverter. Here is where I run into issues. The OPUS 320 controls the power on for the inverter via a relay. Then a small solid state relay powers on the mobo by simulating a button press. Problem is shut down. The OPUS 320 based system is much faster and shuts off quickly. Since it controls the inverter via the OPUS it would cut power before the second system has a chance to fully shut down. My idea was to use a second relay that is on the 12v rail on the second system that also controls the inverter, so once the first system turns off, the second system maintains power till it shuts off. My question is, will I have to worry about possible damage in an way shape or form?

Also added the step down converter for all the hubs. This also has to stay on for both computers.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HiJackZX1; 10-02-2011, 06:16 PM.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

I didn't read your post properly, and nearly replied:
    'Why don't you use another relay triggered by the second system's power on state (power light or something) hooked up to the 12V rail that supplies the invertor...'
    But no, you're there already. I don't see any problem with that, it would just be like having a redundant light switch in your lounge-room to save you having to walk across the room in the dark to turn the light on.... If you wanted to be a little tricky you could just use the one relay and seperate the trigger from the Opus and the trigger from the second system with some diodes. Might work. Might not, who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by theBlueLight View Post
      I didn't read your post properly, and nearly replied:
      'Why don't you use another relay triggered by the second system's power on state (power light or something) hooked up to the 12V rail that supplies the invertor...'
      But no, you're there already. I don't see any problem with that, it would just be like having a redundant light switch in your lounge-room to save you having to walk across the room in the dark to turn the light on.... If you wanted to be a little tricky you could just use the one relay and seperate the trigger from the Opus and the trigger from the second system with some diodes. Might work. Might not, who knows?
      I went with 2 relays because I didnt want the PSUs to bleed into each other accidently and damage anything.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
        I went with 2 relays because I didnt want the PSUs to bleed into each other accidently and damage anything.
        A couple of small signal diodes should prevent that. I don't suppose it really matters in the end.

Comment

Eh?

Use one relay. Connect both Opus & PSU signals via diodes to the single relay.
          (Assuming I understand your diagram...)

Comment

Palm sized ainol MiniPC, 8" Transreflective PRO, Win10, Reverse camera, Dual 10HZ GPS RX's for Speed Display & Sat Nav, FM-DAB & Phone Modules, iDrive interface. T-Screen HVAC control, custom microcontrollers, microcode and FE.

Comment

Yep, that's it.

The diagram is a bit complex because you show the grounds which are all the same in practice and normally omitted. (Even if not the same - except where that detail matters.)

And sorry BlueLight - I missed your reply. I wasn't eh'ing you ay!
              And nice HZ. The last of the real pannos!

Comment

Thank you. Surprisingly large numbers of them still around though, once you get one you just can't let go...

Comment

Well that really simplifies things, but what is a diode? I know its a little circuit thingy, but how does it prevent the PSUs from bleeding into each other. Also in the picture, is there one diode or two? Thats why I went with a two relay because I have never worked with diodes.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

A diode will prevent current from traveling reverse stream back into the alternate power supply. It isnt mission-critical, but its a good idea to protect the circuit with one.
                    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

The need for a diode to isolate one DC source from another is dependent on the source circuitry.

For this application and the low cost of two 1A 400V diodes at around 80c each or less to eliminate any undesired complications is not worth the time it takes to question their use.
                      Palm sized ainol MiniPC, 8" Transreflective PRO, Win10, Reverse camera, Dual 10HZ GPS RX's for Speed Display & Sat Nav, FM-DAB & Phone Modules, iDrive interface. T-Screen HVAC control, custom microcontrollers, microcode and FE.

Comment

I managed to find a small SSD relay from Curiosity Tech. Basically it has 4 wires, 2 for + & - constant, two for the button that is to be pushed, and one for trigger. I figured I could use this to power on the second system, but not 100% sure how to do it. I figured the constant power can come from the OPUS 12V rail. What I want to know is what should trigger it? I was thinking of maybe having the MZ setup so that it turns on when power is applied. Then the relay only sends a signal to shut down. God, why are things so complicated, lol.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                        4X MK808b
                        3x Perixx Touchpads
                        3x 7 inch Screens
                        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                        X