USB panel mount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB panel mount

I was looking at installing a few USB panel mounts in a removable plastic insert in my car however the price of the USB extensions is like 10 bucks for 2 feet.
    Was thinking of using the Rear panel mounted ones. They are basically the same connections only it plugs directly into mb, and is short. Is it viable to splice into this cable with something like a spare Ethernet cord to add on the extra couple feet or would it lose signal?

http://mobile.buy.com/ibuy/Product.aspx?sku=216778197
    Something like this. Cheap and 2 plugs for one buy

Here is what I am using, they are about $5 each and just fit in a drilled round hole. You add your own usb cable to the back side of them.

My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

i have used cat5 cable to extend them, just keep in mind that usb is limited to about 3m unpowered.
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Good I was only planning to run em a few feet. Also I found like 4 of the double USB mounts for back of a pc. Yay already owned mods

Comment

Originally posted by Lem89 View Post
          I was looking at installing a few USB panel mounts in a removable plastic insert in my car however the price of the USB extensions is like 10 bucks for 2 feet.
          What?

15ft, $6.85 (free shipping for me); there's also an "active" one, with an inline amp (for devices themselves that requires little power) for $.85. I have used both, with great results (as long as you don't power an usb camera or GPS, everything else worked).
          Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
          Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Monoprice.com has the best cable selection for the cheapest prices. I always check them first when I'm buying any cables, be they HDMI, DVI, USB, or CAT-5e, or any other cable for that matter.
            1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
              What?

15ft, $6.85 (free shipping for me); there's also an "active" one, with an inline amp (for devices themselves that requires little power) for $.85. I have used both, with great results (as long as you don't power an usb camera or GPS, everything else worked).
              by the expensive part, i didnt mean a normal usb cable. meant more along the lines of the special ones that have a mounting part <similar to what i linked> and of decent length.
              so much money wanted for just that little bit of plastic to mount it. Oh well I found some of the rear panel mounted USB's that plug directly into pins on the board so I will attempt to extend those a few feet so it can reach from behind the dash to center console.

Comment

Link? Amazon has free and fast shipping. And best return policy. But I agree, monoprice is very competitive for some things.
                Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                  Link? Amazon has free and fast shipping. And best return policy. But I agree, monoprice is very competitive for some things.
                  15' USB extension cable, $1.79.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Monoprice isn't competitive - everyone else tries to compete with their prices.
                  1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

Where do you get those USB plugs Phil?
                    2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                    2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                    Sound Stage
                    Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

^ try checking industrial parts sites like mouser, digikey, etc.
                      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

You can get them for cheap on eBay as well. Just narrow your search to US only (if in US) and select free shipping if your determined to get free shipping.

2' USB Extension. $1.50 after shipping...

eBay links don't work here for me so, can't post the link.

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                          ^ try checking industrial parts sites like mouser, digikey, etc.
                          Any idea what you call them?
                          2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                          2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                          Sound Stage
                          Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

Originally posted by -zip- View Post
                            Any idea what you call them?
                            Try here:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....user_Wildcards

Comment

Originally posted by -zip- View Post
                              Where do you get those USB plugs Phil?
                              Here is the manufacturer and the piece:

http://www.neutrik.com/en/multimedia/usb/nausb-w-b

Here they can be sourced right from the GTA and mailed to you:

http://www.avshop.ca/wire-cable-conn...thru-blacktype
                              My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X