Steering Wheel Controls (CANBUS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Wheel Controls (CANBUS)

I've been searching about solutions for reading the CANBUS signals from steering wheel controls (primarily volume up/down, track forward/reverse) and interfacing into the CarPC. I have found a few USB/CANBUS transceivers and thought I might be able to use a program like Girder to do the interfacing, but I know very little about CANBUS signals, so I was hoping for some expert insight.

I haven't come across any real definitive threads on this, either.

I've tapped into my Dodge Charger's CANBUS. I started using a CANUSB from Lawicel... but then I moved on to a microcontroller development kit from mBed.

I didn't do any research into how to work with Girder.... I just wrote a RideRunner plugin and made it work that way...

good luck!

Comment

Cool...thanks for the insight.

Comment

would you mind sharing your RideRunner canbus plugin?

Comment

@that_kid
          What car do you want to use this in? what hardware are you going to use? My plugin is pretty specific to my setup... the mBed microcontroller actually converts all the CANBUS messages into a couple of ethernet messages. Do you want code? or just the plugin?

Comment

I'll be using this in a VW Touareg with and arduino and canbus shield. I'll need the code too since i'll have to taylor it to my canbus and arduino setup. Thanks

Comment

hi rtgree01

i wondered if you could help me, you seem to have gone down the same road as i am going, i have a 2004 range rover [bmw ibus system] and have got my pc project almost done,i have ride runner. now i have a 2011 steering wheel with the new style controls but they are canbus, i see there are a few ways or getting it to work and that you have it working on your system, so if you could give me a bit of advice that would be great
              thanks daveo

Comment

daveo1000....

I found a website dedicated to hacking the CANbus on Chrysler vehicles..... That site has a bunch of CAN bus recordings... I looked at all the messages that had already been decoded... and tried to figure a few more out.

And as I said earlier, I figured out how to tap into my car's CAN bus and used the Lawicell CAN2USB device to make some more recordings. Like the guy from canhack.org, I added the feature to add a marker to the recordings for when something is supposed to have happened... so when I press a steering wheel button, a marker gets entered by pressing the space button on the keyboard.

The other technique I used was to look at how often a message occurs.... If a message only happens once or twice during the recording, there is a good chance that the message corresponds to something you've done... Really it is just looking for patterns.... If you can find a pattern, you'll do well....

Ryan

Comment

hi, thanks for the reply..what device do you use to talk with the canbus and is it with your pc or does it work on its own..
                  thanks again..

Comment

mbed.org

i'm using the mbed NXP LPC1768

Ryan

Comment

hi mate, found the unit on ebay, is it just this unit NXP LPC1768
                      or does it have to be connected to an other unit to work..,
                      i dont have canbus on my car only ibus, its only the the new steering wheel switches that i want to use that are canbus
                      thanks

Comment

I'm using the unit pictured here:
                        http://mbed.org/handbook/mbed-NXP-LPC1768

The mbed is a microcontroller. You can program the device to operate on its own or in conjunction with a computer. I recommend reading up on how the mbed works before purchasing it.

In order to use the CAN bus, I use a circuit that involves the Microchip MCP2551 CAN transceiver chip.

I don't know anything about the ibus, and it seems odd that the steering wheel switches would be can bus where the rest is ibus.... But I think that the mbed should be able to talk to your steering wheel controls...

I've finally designed a circuit board that I should be getting in the next few weeks. Maybe I could make an extra one....

Comment

I may be interested in that circuit board as well. Currently i'm using a teensyduino. Might be worth playing around with the mbed stuff too.
                          Last edited by that_kid; 02-09-2012, 03:12 AM.

Comment

hi rtgree01,

thanks for the offer and yes that would be great.. the switches are from a 2011 range rover, they changed from ibus [BMW SYSTEM] to canbus around 2006 along with fibre optics
                            but i will have a read up as suggested.
                            please let me know when you get your board and the price inc p&p

thanks daveo

Comment

Working...
                            X