Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serial PC Interface for HD Radio (Directed) - DIY??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial PC Interface for HD Radio (Directed) - DIY??

I notice that there is a separate USB cable for the Directed HD Radio interface, but I failed to notice this when I made my purchase. I see that it creates a virtual COM port, but since I have several spare serial ports available on my CarPC, can I just fabricate a serial-->hd radio interface cable myself?

I have plenty of spare cables with both necessary plugs. I would just need to know the pinout I suppose.

This link has info on making the serial cable for the hd radio http://www2.dasilvas.info/hd-radio hope this helps SNO

Comment

Thanks.
      I used that link, and built the circuit as shown. I chose the HD Radio (Directed) - COM7 option in RR config. I made sure my COM7 settings were 115200, 8, none, 1. RR launches the radio player as if it sees the radio, then after a few seconds it says it cannot find the radio and to check COM settings.

It is definitely getting powered up, but not sure what else I'm missing.
      Last edited by phuz; 11-20-2011, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Turns out that it helps to NOT confuse pin 1 with pin 5 when wiring up the RS232 port

Comment

So if I follow this cable schematic, and make a serial cable for the HD radio module, will it work with Centrafuse? As in would I be able to control it right from the front end?
          Carputer Progress
          [||||||||||] 100%
          Finally Installed!!
          Everything is in the car and working.
          I painted the cilpboard mount and it looks good.
          Shutdown/Startup is working excellent!
          View My Progress Here

Comment

Yes it will, It will work in most front-ends CF, RR, Streetdeck and sometime soon to Driveline SNO

Comment

thanks for the link. going to order the tuner and build a rs232 cable now. i'm out of usb but have a com port open to use.

SNOtwistR - How does the HD Radio (directed) work in canada for you? any issues?
              95 Mustang 5.0
              Custom Case, VIA m10000, 512 MB, 80gig, M2-ATX, Slot Load DVD, 7" LCD Touchscreen

80% done

Comment

No issues at all just no HD. I bought for the AM option also but FM sounds really good and works in most front-ends

Comment

It should pick up radio just like a real head unit, correct? Considering it is the same exact unit that you would USE with a real head unit? At least thats what I would think... I cant wait to build the cable
                  Carputer Progress
                  [||||||||||] 100%
                  Finally Installed!!
                  View My Progress Here

Comment

i have read that people were having problems with it switching back and forth from HD to non-HD because it was losing its signal. if theres no HD available, this wont be a problem and it will just use AM/FM.
                    95 Mustang 5.0
                    Custom Case, VIA m10000, 512 MB, 80gig, M2-ATX, Slot Load DVD, 7" LCD Touchscreen

80% done

Comment

Can you send me a list of parts you used to make your cable?

Comment

I finally built the cable, and I am trying to find a TEST program to make sure I did everything correctly.

My PC is actually in the back on my car so instead of tearing everything out just so I could connect the antenna to the Directed box, I just connected everything else to make sure the cable is functioning properly... Is there a PC program I can download that will initialize the HD radio box just so I can confirm my cable is working before I have my dash apart just for the antenna?
                        Carputer Progress
                        [||||||||||] 100%
                        Finally Installed!!
                        View My Progress Here

Comment

you can get from mitch's site here http://www.rush2112.net/phpBB3/portal.php they work excellent SNO

Comment

Originally posted by SNOtwistR View Post
                            you can get from mitch's site here http://www.rush2112.net/phpBB3/portal.php they work excellent SNO
                            Are you talking about the SatAmp program? That will work and talk to the HD Radio box thru the cable I made (from this thread) even though its not Mitch's cable?
                            Carputer Progress
                            [||||||||||] 100%
                            Finally Installed!!
                            View My Progress Here

Comment

Yes it will or use hd-pcr from same site both will do the job SNO

Comment

Working...
                              X