Getting a reversing camera to auto start when reversing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a reversing camera to auto start when reversing

Hi all, I'm new here, been browsing around every now and then for a while now though.

I'm currently working on a Car PC system for my car, right now it plays music, has a GPS with google satelite images, provides a wifi network in my car with GRPS internet access, has a software equalizer, records general things like best 0-100 time, top speed, etc. What I'm working on now is a reversing camera, I've written up the software for it and all and at this very moment I'm getting a webcam drilled into my rear bumper.

What I'm thinking though, it'll probably never get used because it's too much of a hassle to start up the reversing camera every time I go into reverse. What I'd like to do is start up the camera when I go into reverse gear. From what I've read here, people use the reversing lights to check whether its in reverse or not. Brilliant idea, but how do I implement this with a webcam. I've thought of a bad solution:

Wire a 12V hard drive to the reversing light and whenever the computer detects the hdd, I know its in reverse - this seems a little messy though.

What would be convenient is a USB device that reports on a COMM port the current through a circuit. Is there such a device (does the Fusion Brain do this)?

What about running a relay that connects the +5v wires on the USB cable when the reverse lights are on?
    Enter the LOTUS...
    (more info here)

Pre-build thread

Planning: ::::::::::::
    Parts: ::::::::::::
    Build: ::::::::::::
    Test: ::::::::::::
    Install: ::::::::::::

Oh, yeah, and build the car... ::::::::::::

Comment

Get an mjsgadget USBio1 and wire up the reverse lights to one of its inputs. Then in ride runner you can have that trigger an action

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
      New System in progress:
      M10k
      Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
      Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
      Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
      Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by BoyRacer0013 View Post
        What about running a relay that connects the +5v wires on the USB cable when the reverse lights are on?
        There's an idea, and I can just check if there's a camera installed to know if its in reverse!

Comment

Originally posted by BoyRacer0013 View Post
          Actually I just thought, that would make the camera unusable when the car's not in reverse, but I can use the exact same approach with a USB cable and a flash drive, and have my software check whether the flash drive is present (indicating the reversing lights are on).

Comment

Working...
          X