The lighting in Tron Legacy.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lighting in Tron Legacy.

I just saw Tron: Legacy (Yea I know its old now, but I wait for movies to show up on Instant NetFlix), and I was amazed how they did all the clothing. Any one know what they used to create it? I know for the clothes it wasnt done by computer because you can see the battery pack. Reason I ask is because wouldnt it cool to apply that to a car application? I mean when I look at my rims I can easily see where I can put it. Maybe in the grille too! The possibilities are endless!
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Google, my friend. Google.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/allt...nd-spanx-.html
    1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

Answered my own question, its called Light TapeŽ (produced by Electro-LuminX of Chester, VA). Here is more info here. http://clothesonfilm.com/tron-legacy...costume/15850/

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

It is a style of EL Tape. You can get it fairly cheap (probably much cheaper than the "official" vendor for disney" by googling for it.
        "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
        RevFE
        My Shop

Comment

LOL, The forum is slow!!!!!!!!!!!! I had found the answer and posted, but you must have been typing while I was typing my reply!

The problem is malcom2073, I need it in sheets if I am going to do the insides of my rims. OMFG, Im so close to finishing my Car PC and now it looks like a new hobby is coming into play. Wonder if anyone else has a Tron inspired car.... Yes Kego, I am going to Google it now, lol.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

You should check out the West Coast Customs show and/or website. They made wheels that lit up just like the wheels on the light cycles.
            1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
              LOL, The forum is slow!!!!!!!!!!!! I had found the answer and posted, but you must have been typing while I was typing my reply!

The problem is malcom2073, I need it in sheets if I am going to do the insides of my rims. OMFG, Im so close to finishing my Car PC and now it looks like a new hobby is coming into play. Wonder if anyone else has a Tron inspired car.... Yes Kego, I am going to Google it now, lol.

How are you going to keep the power supplies balanced inside the rims, just get the rim re-balanced once you secure it on?

Just be sure to put in a way to turn it off, so you don't get a ticket/car towed for illegal lights

And nah, I read your reply, but wanted to add that it's just EL Tape (Which you can get in sheets). So google around, don't buy from the most expensive "name brand" place
              "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
              RevFE
              My Shop

Comment

Well it looks like its been done, but in this one they used LED instead. I wonder if there is a pro and con between EL and LED. EL seams to have a shelf life. Most being at 12,000 hours. But looks more seamless. LED lasts almost a life time it seems! But it isnt seamless.

http://www.roogio.com/west-coast-cus...ear-side-view/

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                4X MK808b
                3x Perixx Touchpads
                3x 7 inch Screens
                1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Its illegal to have lighting in your rims?

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Its illegal to have lighting in your rims?
                    In most states, it's illegal to have lights anywhere but factory ones.
                    RevFE
                    My Shop

Comment

Well it looks like its been done, but in this one they used LED instead. I wonder if there is a pro and con between EL and LED. EL seams to have a shelf life. Most being at 12,000 hours. But looks more seamless. LED lasts almost a life time it seems! But it isnt seamless.

http://www.roogio.com/west-coast-cus...ear-side-view/
                      led all the way.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...hlight=el+tape

and i want to see video's of that wcc car light up while in motion-- until then, i don't believe that is anything more then a expensive trailer queen...

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
                      i believe that is a disc behind the wheel...

i saw that a while ago on youtube, and furiously looked around for info-- which all of this stuff seems to lack... all i need to know is how they get power and/or data to the wheel past all the moving parts.
                      Last edited by soundman98; 01-02-2012, 05:21 PM.
                      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                        led all the way.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...hlight=el+tape

i believe that is a disc behind the wheel...

i saw that a while ago on youtube, and furiously looked around for info-- which all of this stuff seems to lack... all i need to know is how they get power and/or data to the wheel past all the moving parts.
                        It's probably a metal strip that's mounted to a stationary surface, and when the rim makes contact with it (as it spins), the current is transferred to the lights. Something like this:

http://www.lightningwheel.com/index.php/how-to.html

That particular product doesn't move at all, but I'm guessing it's the same type of setup if there's a lighted disc actually mounted inside of the rim.

Comment

thanks!! that perfectly explains the effect on the bmw.

but there are other methods that still confuse me.

like this:
                          http://www.metricfats.com/product-p/pp1spyder.htm

i can see that they are using the basic 12v led strips affixed to the inside of the wheel, but getting the power to the spinning wheel is what gets me

or like this:

i saw these a couple years ago at a car show's wheel booth, and neglected to look at how it was done.. a similar concept, i just need tofigure out how they got power and/or data to the wheel..
                          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

My assumption would either be inductive power, or a lipo battery pack affixed to the inside of the wheel that requires recharging. You could probably fit a battery large enough to run those lights for several hours on a charge. It looked like they were editing them from a laptop, which leads me to believe there is no wireless communication, but you have to plug in to make changes. That would be the simplest interface.
                            RevFE
                            My Shop

Comment

Working...
                            X