Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help sorting out base level computer system.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help sorting out base level computer system.

Okay here is what I am trying to do.
    I want to be able to control these functions with switches and via a USB connection.
    • Right window
    • Left window
    • Start
    • Cabin lights
    • Show lights

I also want to have some type of small display that will have this stuff on it.
    • Outside temp
    • Engine bay temp
    • Computer bay temp
    • Cabin temp
    • Engine temp
    • Intake temp
    • Start button indicator
    • Turn light indicator
    • Head light / brights indicator
    • show light indicator
    • Wiper speed indicator
    * all temps will need to be pulled from independant thermisters (no OBD)

I was thinking about using an Arduino but I don't know how well, if at all, it would beable to drive the display. If I can have some type of simple GUI that is also touch capable running on a small touch screen seperate from my main PC to control this system that would be prefferable. Please feel free post your input or ask for more information as needed.
    Enter the LOTUS...
    (more info here)

Pre-build thread

Planning: ::::::::::::
    Parts: ::::::::::::
    Build: ::::::::::::
    Test: ::::::::::::
    Install: ::::::::::::

Oh, yeah, and build the car... ::::::::::::

Bump. Input anybody?
    Enter the LOTUS...
    (more info here)

Pre-build thread

Comment

Arduino tvout
      Arduino video display (Composite Video)

I have personally used the "tvout" library for Arduino and found it to be ideal and will be using it again in the future or if anything replaces it. The idea is to switch to the CarPC display once ready. As for tvout: Its a little slow and takes a fair bit of space but if things are done right then it should just fit in a tight sketch. If i recall its just black & white at some low res. I was able to combine this with the PS2 keyboard to give a very simple input terminal to drive a few relays.

There is the option of driving something like a Nokia Display or the more common 5x7 LCD Displays

Windows: H-Bridge DC Motor Controller(s)
      L298N H Bridge DC Motor Driver Board
      One similar to what i have just ordered should do

12v Lights: Mosfet / Transistors / Relays
      N-MOSFET Driver & Output Module

Starter: Have not looked into this myself yet, But i would think a premade kit exists if not then i would go with rewiring a remote starter kit or look at a direct circuit to at the ignition barrel level.

Touchscreen: I think this is just a case of connecting the touchscreen wires to the Arduino in the right way... If you need i can look into this one for you. There are also Arduino shields out there that have a 3" or so touchscreen. fairly sure having a 7" touch screen running from an arduino wont be hard at all.. I just never tried the touchscreen part..

USB Connection: Im not to sure what the common or preferred method is but myself just use Serial/Comm Communications... Example code for getting analog value

These are just some suggestions, there are many ways depending on your over all end amount of IO's
      Last edited by mayhembdm666; 01-07-2012, 03:54 PM.
      2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
      Base System = Raspberry Pi
      Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

Comment

Okay, that is a little more involved and complicated than what I was thinking. Here is a very crude schematic of what I was planning.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Basic_computer _drawing.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	2281575
        When the switch is tripped it sends power to an input on Arduino. The Arduino then sends power to the appropriate relay, activating the device. But, the Arduino can also be told to trip a relay via the onboard USB port. All the temp sensors and screen will also be connected to the Arduino. I am going to look more into driving a screen from the Arduino, I will need more that TV out can provide.
        Enter the LOTUS...
        (more info here)

Pre-build thread

Comment

Attatching a small touch screen to the Arduino is not to hard, more info can befound here Link
          The suguestion has also been made to use some type of CAN type network to acheve the same results, but that seems much more expensive and involved. Is there a significant reason to use a network like this instead of going the Arduino route as purposed above?
          Enter the LOTUS...
          (more info here)

Pre-build thread

Comment

Is it that you want to have control with and or without the PC? Dont most front ends have plugins for this stuff?
            Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
            4X MK808b
            3x Perixx Touchpads
            3x 7 inch Screens
            1X 7 inch motorized Screen
            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Overall you can probably do all that stuff with an Arduino. The problem (I think) is the amount of code space available in the Arduino. A GUI itself would take a lot of space. How do you plan to implement all the analog devices? Your choice of Arduino will dictate how many you can do. There are other board choices but prices vary.

You "could" use more than one Arduino and share the functions across them. But if you want them to be able to act independantly (IE; without a PC) then you need to have them talk to each other.

John
              03 Cadillac CTS
              ZOTAC G43ITX-A-E 2.5ghz Core i3 2GB 160GB SSD
              Win7 Ultimate - OpenMobile - Directed HD - Wifi
              OMMaps + MS GPS Puck - WiFi via LTE Android phone
              2 Zones - Matrix Orbital LCD - Arduino - Build Pics

Comment

HiJack, yes a lot of FEs have plugins for this type of thing, but I want to have this system able to function with out the PC running.

Originally posted by jmullan99 View Post
                Overall you can probably do all that stuff with an Arduino. The problem (I think) is the amount of code space available in the Arduino. A GUI itself would take a lot of space. How do you plan to implement all the analog devices? Your choice of Arduino will dictate how many you can do. There are other board choices but prices vary.

You "could" use more than one Arduino and share the functions across them. But if you want them to be able to act independantly (IE; without a PC) then you need to have them talk to each other.

John
                I don't really have a solid decision as to what board I want to use, that is the reason for this thread. I don't really now how to setup this type of system, the closest I have ever come to this would be playing around with some robotics kits and hobby grade R/C cars. I am looking for advice and input on what type of hardware I need and how to set it all up in the car. I have a general plan of what I want, but am not sure how to achieve it.
                Enter the LOTUS...
                (more info here)

Pre-build thread

Comment

Try to layout or list ever possible item and input/output/visual/audio and so on.
                  Someone here will have an idea and setup to match what you after, As for things like driving the display from an Arduino. you can use LAN/SD to provide extra storage for GUI's/Audio. The libraries/headers them self may be the question.

I guess my main first question is: What interface do you plan on having, A touch screen only or other controls as well. Will it be a set size or this depends on what you find? Knowing what the over all main input and output devices are for the user will help narrow down the hardware requirements.
                  2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
                  Base System = Raspberry Pi
                  Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

Comment

I have been looking into the touch screen options for the Arduino, SMARTGPU seems close to what I am looking for. However I would like a bigger screen, something like 5". The touch screen will not be the only user input device, each device (windows, lights, ext.) will also have its own momentary switch/button as would be found in a regular car.

Also, is there a good program for drawing out a basic schematic to help explain my idea?
                    Last edited by BoyRacer0013; 01-10-2012, 09:52 PM.
                    Enter the LOTUS...
                    (more info here)

Pre-build thread

Comment

I was browsing the forums today and I came across this thread (Link) about the Raspberry Pi. It is a very small ARM based computer, it only runs at 700mhz but this seems ideal for controlling the Arduino and I think it would be much easier than trying to run a GUI from the Arduino. The only concern I have is how the Arduino will be controlled from both computers, my initial thought is to make the Raspberry Pi a USB device on the main level computer, but I don't know how this would be done. Any input or ideas on how to do this?
                      Enter the LOTUS...
                      (more info here)

Pre-build thread

Comment

that is all very doable, i believe with an uno but def with a mega.

as far as the smart gpu. i emailed them about a transflective screen and got this reply, which you may find useful:
                        Dear Scott:

Our SmartGPU has a high resolution LCD display with high brightness, however we think is not at 100% sunlight readable, it's about 80% sunlight readable.

However, the "SmartGPU" is a graphic chip processor, that it is connected to our LCD. So you can design with this processor by now, and later on just connect it to a sunlight readable LCD instead of ours, the Smart GPU is compatible with any 8/16 bit parallel LCD. We don't offer our SmartGPU board connected to a sunlight readable LCD because as you know, cost would increase a lot, and we want to keep it low cost.

Some people has bought the SmartGPU board to develop their application, and later on, they buy us just the Graphics processor chip and they connect it to their custom LCD(bigger size, Sunlight readable, different resolution, etc).

Actually what we sell it's the SmartGPU chip processor and it's technology, but to demostrate the performance and characteristics of it, we offer the SmartGPU development board connected to a normal TFT LCD.

Hope this can help you, feel free to ask us anything else!

Best Regards
                        David Sullivan
                        you could always go with a smaller low resolution display and attach a touchscreen to it for under $30 (that's what im doing right now)
                        i dont know if i'd go the pi route if i were you. all that you are trying to do is well within the grasp of the arduino.

you are only asking for 6 analog and 5 digital inputs. your most challenging task is an engine start function. you'll have to (if you want to do it correctly) read the tach wire to stop the cranking when the engine turns over. I'd recommend; to make your life easier, to get one of the remote car starter modules and trigger that from the arduino (one digital pin to trigger the module and then a second digital output to override the timer function by keeping the relay charged)

i posted a video of my v01 touchscreen in my boat worklog thread if you want to see what the display looks like.
                        New System in progress:
                        M10k
                        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Reading the tach for the start function shouldn't be to hard, I can get a signal from the tach output on the MegaSquirt. I like the screen you have in the video a lot, its about the right size, but it looks like the resolution is a bit on the low side for what I wanted to do. I think for the GUI I would put the temps scrolling across the top of the screen then a row of indicator icons then the controls below that. controls would be something like up and down arrows for the windows (one set on each side), the start button in the middle (inverted colors when the car is running), and the buttons for the lights between the start button and the window buttons.
                          Enter the LOTUS...
                          (more info here)

Pre-build thread

Comment

there are a ton of screen options, some with a lot higher resolution and full color. I have some very specific limitations being in a boat. there will be times when there isn't an option for shading the screen. i needed to go with something that was sunlight readable. hence my compromise for resolution.

you may be able to use a transmissive screen (like most lil/xenarcs) like this: http://vizictechnologies.com/#/development/4554296549
                            it takes care of all the processing so your arduino just tells it what to display, where and when.

you can also shop around for different screens. as long as its an 8 or 16 bit parallel screen. the gpu should be able to control it
                            New System in progress:
                            M10k
                            Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                            Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                            Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                            Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

After looking around some more, I think I will be able to get by with a character type LCD display. These seem to be very easy to control with the Arduino, and I really like the RBG back-light ability. My only concern is the touch capability of these displays, I was unable to find a touch controller that could be used with the Arduino. Dose anybody know where such a thing can be found?
                              Enter the LOTUS...
                              (more info here)

Pre-build thread

Comment

Working...
                              X