Lookig for car computer guides

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lookig for car computer guides

im looking for specific guides that are avaible online on 2 things in particular. I know i can probably search for all the answers here, but that means i have to do a lot of reading of scattered information. So basically, i'm looking for:

1) a guide on how to hook my truck speakers up to the sound card and still have them work with my stock cdplayer.

2) a guide on PSU's to use, how to mod it to work properly with the truck's battery, how to have it turn on/off automatically. THe mobo im using will be the VIA m10000.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums.

There is no such thing as a standard carPC, so there isn't really a newbie guide here.

Research is an art. Perfect your art here. It'll be more fun if you achieve it yourself rather than have us spoon feed you.

C!
    http://carpc.riposte.net
    I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

Two questions without enough resource to get an answer. Sorry buddy wrong style of asking.

Truck speakers? how many speakers? what cd player? is this "cd player" an actual HU? does it have powered outputs? is it connected to an amplifier? does it have aux inputs?

psu's opus is the best.

read my sig, it actually works wonders
      What im curently listening to.
      My complete carpc setup

Comment

I normally dont do this, but I am somehow particularly annoyed by your post.

You won't see it through to the finished product unless you "do a lot of reading of scattered information."

Do you think that you can just go to the store and buy the parts and have an entire working setup in a weekend?

these things take LOTS of time--for me it was almost 2 years of doing research and gathering parts before I installed a working version in my 97 Cheyenne. I'd say the average time it takes is about 6 months from when someone thinks seriously about doing this and actually getting it done.

But, the general feeling I get from your post is that you have more money than sense, so maybe you can get this done in one weekend--and fry all your nice new toys because you are impatient.
        Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
        Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
        I'M DEBT FREE!!
        I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

no i dont have money to burn or alot of time. Im a college student and both time are money are limited. Thats why i would like something that can help me shave some time. If you dont want to help...then move along, im not really asking for much. If you can help, then great, i really appreciated it. Theres no need to get annoyed because at one point you were as clueless as I and learned though forums such as this.

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
            I normally dont do this, but I am somehow particularly annoyed by your post.

You won't see it through to the finished product unless you "do a lot of reading of scattered information."

Do you think that you can just go to the store and buy the parts and have an entire working setup in a weekend?

these things take LOTS of time--for me it was almost 2 years of doing research and gathering parts before I installed a working version in my 97 Cheyenne. I'd say the average time it takes is about 6 months from when someone thinks seriously about doing this and actually getting it done.

But, the general feeling I get from your post is that you have more money than sense, so maybe you can get this done in one weekend--and fry all your nice new toys because you are impatient.
            Heh, actually, I threw together my first system together over a weekend (back before I knew this board existed), but then, the only thing that I had to buy was an inverter. But take the advice given, search and even just browse through the forums, and ask a specific question was specifics about what your use will be if you can't find anything. There really is a wealth of information on this board.
            -Nick

Comment

Originally posted by [H]Bugster
              no i dont have money to burn or alot of time. Im a college student and both time are money are limited. Thats why i would like something that can help me shave some time. If you dont want to help...then move along, im not really asking for much. If you can help, then great, i really appreciated it. Theres no need to get annoyed because at one point you were as clueless as I and learned though forums such as this.
              This is possibly the best response I have ever seen to the standard "use the search button" response.

So I will offer as much help as I can, but you have to help us, too.

We are going to need more information about your vehicle--what's the make, model, year, and some more info about your stereo. Most likely, from the information that you have given, you are going to need to go with an FM Modulator (which is a step-up from the tape-adapter commonly used) unless you want to buy a new headunit or do some serious redneck engineering with some amplifiers and switches.

What is you budget? I spent about $1200 on the whole setup (spread out over 2 years of development) but I had everything--DVD, GPS, 10.4" Touchscreen, Cellular internet, WiFi, even had the PC control my door locks and other things.

As far as the power setup goes the easiest thing to do would be to get an inverter (300 watt is my minimum recommendation) and wire that directly to your battery. For Auto-Shutdown/Power-on, look through here for jeff's controller. I never did the auto-shutdown thingy, thought it would not have let me have enough control.

Once you give us some more information about what you are doing (capabilities you want, what you can afford, and the vehicle you are doing this to), we will be able to help you more.
              Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
              Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
              I'M DEBT FREE!!
              I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
                Most likely, from the information that you have given, you are going to need to go with an FM Modulator (which is a step-up from the tape-adapter commonly used) unless you want to buy a new headunit or do some serious redneck engineering with some amplifiers and switches.
                Or just save your money and splice into the speaker wires. Simple, cheap, and the best sound quality you'll be able to get.

K.I.S.S. is my motto.
                Don't Click

Comment

Originally posted by Gutter
                  Or just save your money and splice into the speaker wires. Simple, cheap, and the best sound quality you'll be able to get.

K.I.S.S. is my motto.
                  If he just splices into the speaker wires, he'll still need to amplify it somehow. And why does everyone keep bashing the cassette tape adapter? I've been using one for the life of my project, and it sounds pretty good.
                  -Nick

Comment

We bash it because it has a loss of fidelity and sound quality. If your radio is a stock system that isn't very good to begin with, then you probably won't notice a difference. If you have a good high quality car stereo system and a good ear, using a casette adapter makes it sound really "flat".
                    IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

heres my vehical:

2002 Ford Ranger XLT
                      standard cab
                      stock cd player unit is included
                      4 speakers

my budget is to stay under $500 total. And i do plan on custom building a case, i just need help with power issues and how to make it work in my truck and the wiring it to the speakers part. I plan on having dvd playback capabilities and in the future will add a GPS recieve in as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MP3DUB
                        If he just splices into the speaker wires, he'll still need to amplify it somehow. And why does everyone keep bashing the cassette tape adapter? I've been using one for the life of my project, and it sounds pretty good.
                        Since everyone has already pointed out that the guy should search, I won't...

or did I just do that? oops. Oh well.

Why not cassette adapters? Well a) they aren't permanent and (for me any way) would be a style thing... and b) Try listening to a cassette on a deck that's been using a cassette adapter and one that hasnt'...notice how the one that did use the cassette adapter is slower? It messes up your deck, puts strain on it over the long run.
                        1999 Plymouth Voyager (That's right, big-pimpin' in a minivan.)
                        PC built into console
                        worklog with pics: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46359

Some of my music: http://www.myspace.com/markquestion

Comment

If you keep your factory headunit use this:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrdnaux.html

Get rid of the changer, you'll never use it again
                          [H]4 Life
                          My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                          It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                          I'm a lesbian too.
                          I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by fcc
                            Since everyone has already pointed out that the guy should search, I won't...

or did I just do that? oops. Oh well.

Why not cassette adapters? Well a) they aren't permanent and (for me any way) would be a style thing... and b) Try listening to a cassette on a deck that's been using a cassette adapter and one that hasnt'...notice how the one that did use the cassette adapter is slower? It messes up your deck, puts strain on it over the long run.
                            I never plan to listen to tapes only the adapter, and I made it semipermanent by routing the cord out the back . And I was working off the theory if you were looking to keep the stock system.........
                            -Nick

Comment

I was going to bring up the possibility of using an Aux-In adapter, but frodobaggins already beat me to it.

Here's another link that may be useful:
                              http://www.pie.net
                              http://thecoldfront.com

Comment

Working...
                              X