What is a good mobo/processor these days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good mobo/processor these days

Looking to get back into the car pc thing again was out of it for a few years, last I had was a via board with 1.5 ghz processor. Looking to get a new build but what is good? Was thinking about an ASUS amd E-450 setup but any others out there I should look into? Will be running Centrafuse (gotta upgrade last version i had was 2.0 lol)

it really depends on what your looking to get out of it. what else are you planning on?
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Not much just navigation, videos, OBD2 stuff, and a cam or 2 for racing. What else is there, anything new and exciting to do with them? I just always build for future projects so I try to buy high end performing stuff so I don't have to upgrade later.

Comment

i don't really know.. the only reason i'm here is for audio processing

but with the cameras, i think you'd want to start considering a setup using a i3 processor-- CF and cameras are going to be quite slow on any lesser hardware.

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

If you have the cash, I'd go with the newer Ivy Bridge processors (i5 -3570) and the Asus P8Z77-I MB. You get a quadcore 3.4ghz monster that doesn't use any more power than the i3 clarkdale (77w TDP vs 73w TDP), and you get the top of the line HD4000 graphics (admittedly not the best out there, but far better than what's available with the i3). I've been running a 95w i5 Sandy Bridge for almost 2 years without a problem (M2-ATX). With that setup, you'll be able to do just about anything you want.

VegasGuy

Comment

Id say stick with ZOTAC you cant go wrong. 7.1 ch surround sound .

Zotac Z68ITX-A-E Intel Z68 LGA 1155 Mini-ITX Motherboard Supports Core i5-2500K

and a i3 -i5 sandy bridge .

Comment

wow wasn't thinking about going all out with a newer core i5 or i3 lol. I will be using a voom2 case and it gets hot here so I was worried about cooling. Didn't quite think about a monster processor like those.

I was originally looking at this board
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131807

Comment

Originally posted by bmw_car_pc View Post
                wow wasn't thinking about going all out with a newer core i5 or i3 lol. I will be using a voom2 case and it gets hot here so I was worried about cooling. Didn't quite think about a monster processor like those.

I was originally looking at this board
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131807
                Been using an i5 Sandy bridge in a a Voom2 for over a year here in Las Vegas. Never had a problem. Keep in mind that a USB camera and especially two (depending upon what software you use) puts a very large load on your CPU.....not just the graphics card. The video encoding gets done by the CPU. You can mitigate the load somewhat with careful codec selection, but there's still a bunch of work to be done. An i5 will do that work at a significantly lower percentage of total power than the AMD board, or any of the Atom-based boards. That means those boards are probably going to generate MORE heat than the i5 when doing the same job. Lots of variables here, and there are always multiple ways to approach any given task, so if the AMD setup is what you want, then you can pick the appropriate software solution that works well in that environment. My point is really that with an i5, you don't have to choose....you can run anything you want without much concern for whether or not it will work. It will.

VegasGuy

Comment

i support what vegas said.

as i said before, my specific intent for the carpc is audio processing--where i can control and manipulate what frequencies go to what speakers.

i originally started with a atom board--i believe it used the atom 330, which was a dual 1.2ghz chip if memory serves. but it had all sort of issues with it not being able to keep up-- the audio would skip, drop out, freeze, etc. this was directly related to the audio processing-- using it as a standard carpc/home pc, it works great. so i upgraded to a dual core pentium. since then i can do anything i want in terms of processing with little fear of glitches like the atom setup.

remember that processing video(either to send it to a computer monitor, or save it to a hard disc) is always more processor-intensive then audio, so to do it, you do need a pretty beefy system to handle it.

he also makes a valid point about the i5, while being more powerful, being less power hungry.

i have been told that the amd-atom equilvelents are supposed to be a little better then the atom's, but i wouldn't expect them to have the type of performance that your going to require for video-anything.

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

Consider a Gopro or Contour cams for shooting while racing. Wide Angle clear 720 or 1080 excellent fps What is also fun is you can hook them up to your carputer to charge and watch while at the track.
                    2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                    2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                    Sound Stage
                    Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

Working...
                    X