Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping factory steering wheel controls.. Don't want just volume control..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Keeping factory steering wheel controls.. Don't want just volume control..

    Just got an 08 Nissan Altima. I have the factory steering wheel controls that do volume, source, channel up/down.. I know they make a PAC interface but I *think* that will only give me volume control when I hook it up to my CarPC.. Anyone know how I could use the channel up/down to skip songs? Or is that not possible?

    Thanks!!

    http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1088
    Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

    Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

    First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

  • #2
    I know for my VW the steering wheel buttons are all run on the Can Bus network so I ended up using an arduino with can bus interface to get the button msgs, then used the arduino (in this case a teensyduino) to send keyboard commands to my carpc.

    Comment


    • #3
      take a look @ the joycon EXR : http://goo.gl/y6mpH
      is is also sold in the mp3car store.
      trinybwoy

      2006 Mazda6 Carpc

      2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by trinybwoy View Post
        take a look @ the joycon EXR : http://goo.gl/y6mpH
        is is also sold in the mp3car store.
        HOLY ****E that is awesome!! How the hell do you connect it all? Is it difficult?
        Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

        Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

        First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

        Comment


        • #5
          if you are keeping the factory radio, you simply locate where the data wires form the steering wheel controls are.
          they usually are two wires, a ground and data wire; which connect to the back of the radio at some point. you "splice/tap' into them. I would not recommend cutting them off from the radio. if you do, you wont be able to control the radio at all, only the joycon.

          once you have made a successful connection to the joycon, u set it up via the software u download.its pretty straightforward.
          the website documents all the required steps very well.
          trinybwoy

          2006 Mazda6 Carpc

          2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

          Comment


          • #6
            If I'm reading this correctly you can also do custom commands for your steering wheel, like vol up and vol down at same time could mute or whatever you want the buttons to do.

            Comment


            • #7
              RcJoyconn in 2008 Nissan Altima

              First you need the Joycon EXR Steering Wheel Control PC Interface, http://store.mp3car.com/Joycon_EXR_S..._p/com-159.htm
              Then you need a Metra Oeswc 07-Up Norton Internet Security Harness for RF/ST Manufacturer Part# OESWC-7552H
              http://www.provantage.com/metra-oesw...h~7MTRC0H6.htm
              You can see how it connects here http://forums.nicoclub.com/how-to-ad...l-t389024.html

              You can connect channel A to switch A wire on the connector, connect channel B to switch B wire on the connector and connect the ground on channel A&B to ground.
              You download RcJoyCon explorer from here http://rcjoycon.com/default/menu_2.p...m_board_page=&
              The RcJoyCon user guide is here http://rcjoycon.com/default/menu_2.p...m_board_page=&

              If you use Centrafuse as a front end on your computer, there are presets in the RcJoyConn explorer for the front end and applications.
              You can edit presets, create new presets for new applications, or create presets from scratch if not using Centrafuse (I don't know about Ride Runner).
              You select Auto detect in explorer and push your buttons, when you press the button short or long, it sends a hotkey to the application that is active, allows a key to select previous song in Music player,and the same key select previous station in the radio application.
              The presets that come with explorer don't match the hotkeys in Centrafuse 4.1, you will have to change the presets to the correct hotkey

              It is best to set your computer BIOS to wake on USB, use a direct connection from the RcJoyConn to the usb port on the computer, use a A female to A male USB cable with no built in Powered hub if needed, (Powered hubs do not work untill OS boot,this will allow you to set the mode key to start/mute/Hibernate the computer when pressed).
              Last edited by TheMadTinker; 05-16-2012, 09:33 AM. Reason: correction

              Comment


              • #8
                WTF is the "Oeswc 07-Up Norton Internet Security Harness for RF/ST" for?
                Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

                Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

                First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

                Comment


                • #9
                  i assume that would be if u a changing the factory radio....?
                  trinybwoy

                  2006 Mazda6 Carpc

                  2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm not keeping the factory radio or changing the factory radio. It's being ditched all together.. So if I'm not adding or keeping the radio I don't need that part, just the joycon?
                    Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

                    Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

                    First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      correct. just the joycon.
                      trinybwoy

                      2006 Mazda6 Carpc

                      2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        And if you want to use your radio and JoyCon use Oeswc 07-Up Norton Internet Security Harness for RF/ST? Dont mean to thread jack but I have a Joycon and would like to control the Carputer with steering controls and the keep the contols of the radio as well.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tbird2340 View Post
                          I'm not keeping the factory radio or changing the factory radio. It's being ditched all together.. So if I'm not adding or keeping the radio I don't need that part, just the joycon?
                          Your Radio wiring harness for your car has a male conn that goes in a female connector in the radio, this has the connections for the steering wheel controls.
                          The Metra OESWC-7552H (SWC in part number stands for steeting wheel controls) has a female connector that connects to the car Radio male connector in the wiring harness. This female connector is the connector you connect the RcJoyCon to, and you then connect this female connector to the male connector on the car radio wiring harness.

                          The OESWC-772H is between $10.00 to $20.00, and saves you from cutting into your radio wiring harness to splice the wires to the RcJoycon to, or trying to connect individual pins from the RcJoyCon to the mail connector.

                          The OESWC-7552H just makes it professional, easy to connect and disconnect and allows you to reconnect your radio if you remove your computer, your problem if you don't use it, your choice.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TheMadTinker View Post
                            Your Radio wiring harness for your car has a male conn that goes in a female connector in the radio, this has the connections for the steering wheel controls.
                            The Metra OESWC-7552H (SWC in part number stands for steeting wheel controls) has a female connector that connects to the car Radio male connector in the wiring harness. This female connector is the connector you connect the RcJoyCon to, and you then connect this female connector to the male connector on the car radio wiring harness.

                            The OESWC-772H is between $10.00 to $20.00, and saves you from cutting into your radio wiring harness to splice the wires to the RcJoycon to, or trying to connect individual pins from the RcJoyCon to the mail connector.

                            The OESWC-7552H just makes it professional, easy to connect and disconnect and allows you to reconnect your radio if you remove your computer, your problem if you don't use it, your choice.
                            Or you can get a wiring harness from crutchfield that will have all the connections you need. For example factory speakers.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              using same Steering wheel controls for both computer and OEM Radio

                              Originally posted by kool350z View Post
                              And if you want to use your radio and JoyCon use Oeswc 07-Up Norton Internet Security Harness for RF/ST? Dont mean to thread jack but I have a Joycon and would like to control the Carputer with steering controls and the keep the contols of the radio as well.
                              Since the RcJoyCon sends hotkeys to the CarPC, you would have an application that would control a relay board using hotkeys, resistors connected to ground would be connected to the relay and would make a connection to the steering wheel control pins in the Car OEM Radio. If you route the Car OEM radio output audio into the CarPC aux port, and then route the CarPC sound through the car amplifier, the CarPC sound control would control the sound of the OEM radio. When you wanted to change the channel, mode etc. on the car radio, you would switch your front end to the application that controls the relays that send the resistance signal to the steering wheel controls on the OEM radio/Stereo.
                              I'm not keeping my OEM radio/stereo in my car, so I haven't tryed the above, maybe other's may have more knowledge or may know of an application and relay board you can use.
                              Last edited by TheMadTinker; 05-22-2012, 11:26 PM. Reason: incomplete

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X