explain 802.11a/b/g please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• explain 802.11a/b/g please

alright. im a bit confused on the whole new 802.11g thing.

they are pushing it as ~5x faster than 802.11b, 54Mbps vs 11Mbps.

but my questions are as follows...
    why the new standard? didnt 802.11a also run at 54 Mbps? was 802.11g introduced for the sole purpose of allowing people running 802.11b to upgrade without major costs? or is 802.11g less secure than 802.11a?

does anyone know the answers, or can anyone give me some more information on why 802.11g is now pushing to be the new standard when 802.11a already exists.

thanks
    ~mike
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

b and g operates at 2.4ghz. a operated at 5.4ghz. I think g cards can also receive b signal. I may be wrong though
    NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
    If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

you are correct. g is backwards compatiable with b. g is faster speeds but can't reach as far as b.
      '98 Explorer Sport
      http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
      AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
      80% done

Comment

and a has the shortest range. I read an article that had the highest effective speeds obtained were ~22mbps, and that was on a linksys IIRC. Also, everything g out rightnow is "pre standard", meaning that the specification that will define g hasn't been ratified yet. Last I read, the spec was calling for only 10-20mbps for g, and not the advertised 54.
        -Nick

Comment

Working...
        X