Rain sensor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain sensor

I have a sunroof in the car that will eventually have my old truck computer. The car is black, and I live in Mississippi, so it gets REALLY hot. The problem is that when I go to class I never know if its gonna rain or not because the weather is so friggin messed up here. For instance, right now its 85F and sunny, but the weather channel says that its raining.

Anyway, to my point--I need a basic on/off rain sensor (that won't make my car look like a science experiment) so I can make the sunroof close when it starts raining. I have googled it and searched here, but I cant find one. I know they exist, and I could probably build one, i just dont know where to start.

as a side note, i'd also like a temperature sensor so I can make the sunroof open when it gets to be about 110F in the car.
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

we have a water sensor in our computer room. if it gets a slightest bit of water on it it will set off an alarm. Same with high/low sensors. Check out alarm setups.

hope that helps.
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...895802-4736112

Hack it so instead of turning on the alarm it would trigger a relay to close the sunroof. Not sure how your sunroof works, but you might have to route power to it to close it. Also with that setup just get a temperature sensor alarm to open the roof at a given temperture.

Comment

just a wild idea...

some automatic lawn watering systems have a rain sensor wired into them so if it rains it won't allow the system to water the lawn. you need something like this. wire it to a relay that triggers when the sensor gets wet so it will close your sunroof
        99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

Some caddys have a rain sensor that turns on the wipers automatically, might be able to pick one up on a junk yard or from an auto parts store as a replacement.

Comment

You didn't google enough... here ya go : rain detector

But you have to modify the circuit to work with your sunroof. You have to time how long it takes to close or open your sunroof, then integrate a timer circuit with the rain detector so that it only apply current to the motor until the sunroof close/open otherwise you'll toast your motor.

Comment

"You have to time how long it takes to close or open your sunroof"

Nope, use Limit switches. The switch will turn off the motor instead of the timer.
              TruckinMP3
              D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Man this sounds awsome...I want to set something like this up in car now. Too bad I no nothing about elctronics (besides computers....what the hell is a relay ) I need to take some electronics classes next semester.

Comment

Originally posted by 98_Prelude
                  You didn't google enough... here ya go : rain detector

But you have to modify the circuit to work with your sunroof. You have to time how long it takes to close or open your sunroof, then integrate a timer circuit with the rain detector so that it only apply current to the motor until the sunroof close/open otherwise you'll toast your motor.
                  That's exactly what I was looking for...I knew Aaron had to have something, i just didnt look hard enough--THANKS!
                  I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

Originally posted by TruckinMP3
                    "You have to time how long it takes to close or open your sunroof"

Nope, use Limit switches. The switch will turn off the motor instead of the timer.

It can be tricky to mount the limit switch just right so that the sunroof will close all the way, not to mention the added wires that you have to run to the roof. Most car alarm system with remote close/open windows control uses timer or current sensing circuitry.

Comment

because of the way my sunroof works, I am inclined to beleive that it has limit switches built in.

When I open the sunroof, the button I press is two-stage. If I push it in until there is resistance, the sunroof pops open. If I push it down all the way, it slides back.

in any event, I had already decided to put timers on the lines, so even if there are limit switches already present the timers won't have a detrimental effect.
                      I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

on an unrealated note,

98_Prelude - That link you posted was awesome. This guy's site has been around since when I first got into building wierd circuits. I encourage everyone to check out some of the cool circuit ideas he's got. I looked to his site when I completely automated my with with such things as using a phone to call my room and tell it to open/close my windows, or turn off my lights.

Comment

did you know he is (was) a moderator here?
                          I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

really? that's awesome! I've been a huge fan of his for many years.

Comment

Working...
                            X