No announcement yet.

This may sound dumb, but has anyone...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This may sound dumb, but has anyone...

Ok, this may sound retarded but,

Has anyone taken apart a radar dector? I've heard that otherwise friendly police officers tend to get nasty if they see one of those units sitting on your dash...For the longest time I've wanted to take mine apart, to see if this is possible...

Mounting the "brains" of the dector inside the dash, with just the lights showing through...and having the, what I presume to be small, sensors "sensing" from the rearview mirror?

Another Idea...or dream, somehow connecting the "sensors" to your computer, and using that as the brains?

Now I'm really dreaming...don't Police Officers use GPS? wouldn't it just kick A$$ if some techno wizz out there could figure out how to get their GPS information to your gps screen? The screen would still follow your car, but patrol cars would also show up.

not that I'm condoning speeding or anything, but how exactly do you think your pizza makes it there in 30 minutes or less? ;-)

I remember a few episodes of Parse that talked about how to lock onto cops' GPS signals. Go through the 1999 archive and see if they ever found an answer. www.parsetv.com

Gutter
    http://impee3.hypermart.net
    The Impee3 Car Player

[This message has been edited by Gutter (edited 03-20-2000).]
    Don't Click

Comment

I've wanted to do this too. What i thought about doing was mounting the detector some "invisible" place and then replacing the LEDs with connectors to the parallel port to interface to the the computer. I would think this would be easy to do and then write a custom application to play WAV files or whatever for alerts.

I also thought about doing something silly like integrating it a PC GPS unit and creating a "smart-detector" whereby the PC would "learn" where the hot-spots were by referencing GPS coordinates with the radar-sensors...

Comment

Why don't ya just drive slower

All those in favour of avoiding speeding tickets raise your right foot!

After all... the longer it takes to get there... the more mp3z you can listen to on the way
        Honda CRX. Custom enclosure.
        Supermicro SED MB (Onboard sound and TV-out). Celeron 700. 64mb ram.
        40 GB Seagate HDD on vented foam mount.
        Keypower DC-DC KP-DX 250H ATX 250W.
        Delvcam 5.6" TFT LCD Monitor.
        Old headunit (ripped out tape mechanism added audio inputs on back).
        X10 RF mouseremote.
        "Wired Ride" web site

The Australia/New Zealand mp3car Portal. Join now!

Comment

I know this topti cis old but has anyone figured out any more info on such things? Like hooking up the Radar to the computer to show a display or play wavs was a great idea. anyone willing to help and try to figure some things like this out?

Comment

Hi,
            I live in holland, and as from the beginning of next year, those radar-detectors are illegal in our country.

So this also would be nice for me if i could place it in the dash.. But then.. I don't drive too fast so why should it matter for me.

Some months ago.. I picked up an article on the internet, that you could invert the radar-detector into a Radar jammer !!

This has to be something with the sensor, which is looking for some kind of 'radiation'.

This 'radiation' is (in our country) like the K and Ka - Band..

The article said something about inverting the sensor, so that it produces a lot of radiation on the K and Ka - Band..

The idea behind this is that police its instrument where they check your speed with isn't the only source of K and Ka - Bands, and therefore it cannot determine your speed..

I'll go trough the web, and see if I can find this article again, and the post a link here..

But then.. when police discoveres.. I think you are in real trouble. 'cause you are preventing that a police-man can do his job..

And tickets for that matter are way higher than just a speeding ticket or so..

Greetzz

------------------
            Mark Raassens
            Horst
            The Netherlands
            [email protected]
            Raas - The Netherlands
            ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
            GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

I remember the anarchist's cookbook had something in it about ******* with a motion detector to get it to scramble radars, but even if it would work for radar, lasers are being used more often anyway, and I doubt it would do anything for that. I have a POS detector I found at Goodwill (for $5--and it works!) that I'd be happy to take apart, save for the fact that the thing looks like it came whole from the forge (i.e. there're no screws on it anywhere). As for interfacing with the computer... I suppose you could intercept the lines going to the LEDs and work out something like that. I'm no engineer, but that seems like the logical place to start.

Comment

There was an article about how to do this back in the early '80s in a Car and Driver magazine with schematics.

The premise is that the police radar guns rely on the Doppler effect to calculate how fast you are going. The radar wave bouncing off your car will slightly change the frequency...a little math and they have your speed.

The Jam is to either overload their radar gun with your own signal, or create a signal with the doppler correction already into the transmitted frequency to give the illusion you are driving the speed limit.

In theory you could still do this (jam), but radars etc have progressed quite a bit since then, and they should be pretty immune to most simple type of jamming. (ECM and ECCM are the most expensive and advanced things on current combat aircraft.)

On the other hand, since the radar detector lights up 5v leds in conjunction with radar signals, it would seem rather simple to tap into the LED output of the different lights and have a little program on your computer to pop up a display.

What I am waiting for is wireless internet in your car, with your moving map showing the current location of speed traps, like they do with the current location of construction.

sorry for the long post

------------------
                http://www.geocities.com/mr_bubba_zanetti/
                current projects

Comment

Well, you could always rig up a chaff dispensor on the back of your car :P I kinda doubt the police would like that much either.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AndyM:
                    Why don't ya just drive slower
                    All those in favour of avoiding speeding tickets raise your right foot!
                    After all... the longer it takes to get there... the more mp3z you can listen to on the way
                    </font>
                    *Slams right foot to floor, lifts left foot up and holds on for dear life*

Slow down? What the hell is that?!

------------------
                    Aaron Cake
                    London, Ontario, Canada

Player: Cyrix 200, 32MB RAM, 10.2Gig Quantum HD, Onboard EtherNet/Sound/Video, Custom Lexan Case, Arise DC-DC, Win95 Kernal w/Custom Player
                    Car: '86 Mazda RX-7 w/Basic Performance Upgrades
                    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Slow down? huh? what? why? Havent you ever just been listening to some up beat techno, and those high ear peircing heart racing synths jump in, and you start getting into the music, and the next thing you know your doing 110 in a 55?

Catlas

Comment

Techno what? lets hear some Metallica or Godsmack and let the revs hit the red...

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brain:
                          Techno what? lets hear some Metallica or Godsmack and let the revs hit the red...</font>
                          Uh oh... Ever since Aaron mentioned Mr. Roboto a few posts back, and I silently snickered to myself (I guess I just blew any chance of future favours, huh Aaron :}, I had been wondering when the topic of musical tastes would hit the table.

Ok, so is it too late to call a treaty, right here. Right now? I just think it's a good idea to do so...

Opinions, anyone? C'mon. There's gotta be some philosophical, opinionated (don't be shy, now) /. ers and the like lurking around here...

heh heh heh... I likes ta stir da pot, don I? heh heh heh...

~m

------------------
                          Using Napster,(rarely) Imesh, ScourExchange,(scratch that one, too), Gnutella and Freenet to load up my MP3-ized WebSurferPro... in my '96 Civic, of course :}
                          BC ROCKS!!!
                          **Update - WSPro is now in the rec room. Working on a new box for the car.**
                          Current TEMPORARY setup... I-Jam -&gt; Cassette Adapter -&gt; Head Unit. PATHETIC!!!
                          PII 266, 512 MB RAM, 10 Gig, 36x CD-ROM, 16x DVD, DeLorme GPS, 5.6" LCD Screen, Dschmidt power controller, Keypower ATX DC-DC Supply, PowerAmp Macro controller, Dauphin mini-Kbd.
                          Sony Head Unit, Sony Unilink input selector, rear deck Kenwood 6x9's, stock door spkrs... All in my '96 Civic, of course :}
                          BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dos4who?:
                            Uh oh... Ever since Aaron mentioned Mr. Roboto a few posts back, and I silently snickered to myself (I guess I just blew any chance of future favours, huh Aaron :}, I had been wondering when the topic of musical tastes would hit the table.
                            </font>
                            Hehehe...No offense taken. My brother says that song makes him ill. When he complains, I just crank up some Rammstien. That way I can't hear him anymore :-).

As for driving music (and I mean real driving), nothin beats the classics. Wagner, Beethoven, Orff, Tchaikovsky (sp?), etc. The look on the officer's face when she pulls you over and hears "Ride Of The Valkyries" at full volume...

------------------
                            Aaron Cake
                            London, Ontario, Canada

Player: Cyrix 200, 32MB RAM, 10.2Gig Quantum HD, Onboard EtherNet/Sound/Video, Custom Lexan Case, Arise DC-DC, Win95 Kernal w/Custom Player
                            Car: '86 Mazda RX-7 w/Basic Performance Upgrades
                            Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                            Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                            "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Oh yes. The 1812 Overture is perfectly suited for driving music....i also like Amadeus....Holst works well too I love the Mars movement of his PLanets suite....

Catlas

P.S. I can't get into a music taste argument because well...I listen to anything...I have one of the strangest music collections I've ever seen....

Comment

Working...
                              X