Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noise Resolution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Noise Resolution

    This is my first post to the board, so I thought I'd thank you guys for giving me the idea of using a Radio Shack Ground Loop Isolator to solve my PC / radio noise problems.

    I knew I had a ground loop because headphones showed no noise from the PC, but when connected to the truck radio, I got all kinds of cool noises. I was in the process of trying the brute force solution ( grounding the *** out of all the components ). The isolator fixed everything perfectly. I did notice that the isolator itself had to be positioned away from noise emitters since the RS model is not shielded. Once I saw that, the line is totally quiet now.

    System Specs:
    Shuttle SN41G2 (NForce2) with Athlon XP2000+
    512 MB DDR400
    WD 120 GB SE HD
    Integrated Geforce4MX
    Integrated audio
    CD-R/CD-RW, DVD drive
    700W invertor connected via 50A service
    15" TFT touch screen (Planar)
    Small keyboard

    Running:
    Win 2000Pro
    MS Office
    Street Atlas 2003 with USB Earthmate
    AutoTap EFILive V5 (LS1 specific software)
    WMP 9

    Some of the other solutions I have come up with before finding this board:
    Audio / radio interface is via the OEM remote CD player. This player has a link to the radio head unit and I tapped into the audio lines. I set the head unit to play the CD, and it plays the tapped signal (from the PC).

    On/off:
    The invertor has a power switch, and I put another switch (on the overhead console) in parallel with this switch. This turns on the invertor, and the PC bios is set to power on after power fail, so it powers up when the invertor comes on. Windows shutdown does the rest.

    I have had no problems with the hard drive in the stock mount inside the case (horizontal).

  • #2
    wow that is some hardware
    -
    My cars
    -

    Comment


    • #3
      is that your desktop computer?

      Comment


      • #4
        I have the same problem with noise.. What kind of isolator do you have.. Do you have a site where I can order the isolator?

        grz Ben
        Chrysler Voyager, atom. riderunner, dfx

        Comment


        • #5
          Do you have any pics of your set up?






          Originally posted by Solface
          I have the same problem with noise.. What kind of isolator do you have.. Do you have a site where I can order the isolator?

          grz Ben

          thank you guys for giving me the idea of using a Radio Shack Ground Loop Isolator to solve my PC / radio noise problems.
          http://www.digitalww.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Man radioshack really SUCK (well the one next to where I live anyway) Ask for a ground loop isolator and the sales guy like "right, whats that?" had to search for it myself and no luck didn't see it in the store. Figure I could buy some doughnut shaped Ferite core and make my own, but they didn't have that either. Man, radioshack blows now.

            Comment


            • #7
              A few months ago Radio Shack limited the items available in store and via web. Everything is now in two cabinets, instead of a whole wall or two. Their online selection has been cut by 60-75%. It seems they are gearing themselves towards a small Best Buy.

              The ground loop isolator is part number: 270-054. I suggest calling or visiting a Radio Shack and ask for it by part number. If they do not carry it, they should be able to search via their computer for a store that does. This item is no longer carried on Radio Shack’s website.

              I have had luck by calling 1-800-THE-SHACK, sometimes they will find the part and ship it to the nearest store for you.

              "You got questions? We have cellphones."
              ODYSSEY

              Originally posted by Tidder
              Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
              All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
              Digital-Car UK|

              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(")

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ODYSSEY
                A few months ago Radio Shack limited the items available in store and via web. Everything is now in two cabinets, instead of a whole wall or two. Their online selection has been cut by 60-75%. It seems they are gearing themselves towards a small Best Buy.

                The ground loop isolator is part number: 270-054. I suggest calling or visiting a Radio Shack and ask for it by part number. If they do not carry it, they should be able to search via their computer for a store that does. This item is no longer carried on Radio Shack’s website.

                I have had luck by calling 1-800-THE-SHACK, sometimes they will find the part and ship it to the nearest store for you.

                "You got questions? We have cellphones."
                Yeah, i've notice that and hence why RADIO SHACK SUCKS!!
                I figure it would be in store since i seen in on the webpage and it was in stock. But still, as a radioshack sales rep, the guy did squat. He ask another clueless sales guy and told me 'what you see is what we have'.

                "You got questions? We have cellphones." <- thats all they have, every time I buy something they try to shove one down my throat. Finely got fed up when they try to sell me one when I couldn't find the ground loop isolator. I think they make a commision for every plan they sell, man I felt like deckin that guy out
                Man next time when I'm bored I'm going to waste an hour of their time having them explain the tech specs of the phone and the benifit of their cell plan.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Your lucky - they killed off Radio Shack / Tandy over here in the UK... It was bought by a Mobile phone selling out let who 12 months later shut them down... ( at least I don't know of any that are open now ).

                  They went through a simular 'downsize' that your talking about here..... any way i digress

                  I know its not much help but if you go to http://www.maplin.co.uk/ you'll find a ground loop doofer.

                  I am getting one soon my self from here.

                  Terran ( Sorry for butting in there... )
                  My Project Site

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I bought a Ground loop isolator at DIL In Rotterdam, because we don't have any Tandy/Radio Shack in the Netherlands.
                    First When I start my PC, the noise was completely gone. Even with the engine running. great Huh?.

                    Groundloop isolator from zennix (usb16) (u.s. blaster).

                    grz

                    Ben
                    Chrysler Voyager, atom. riderunner, dfx

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Solface
                      I bought a Ground loop isolator at DIL In Rotterdam, because we don't have any Tandy/Radio Shack in the Netherlands.
                      First When I start my PC, the noise was completely gone. Even with the engine running. great Huh?.

                      Groundloop isolator from zennix (usb16) (u.s. blaster).

                      grz

                      Ben
                      I never hook mine up either, I just keep it in the glove box, works better that way
                      [H]4 Life
                      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                      I'm a lesbian too.
                      I am for hire!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Solface
                        I have the same problem with noise.. What kind of isolator do you have.. Do you have a site where I can order the isolator?

                        grz Ben
                        Radio Shack on the way home from work (for me) had them. Don't expect the dimbulbs who work there to know where they are. Look in the section for car audio. A good car audio store should also have them, Cartoys, Circuit City, etc.

                        or

                        http://www.crutchfield.com/

                        search for "ground loop".

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X