Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O2 Joggler: Any good for Car install?

Hi,

I have an O2 Joggler that I have been searching the webs for software to do what I need.

Basically I need a nice, simple frontend capable of at least Music (preferably more i.e. Video, GPS, Radio, handsfree connection etc) that I can plug a USB HDD into and work.

Has anyone had any luck with these?

Any suggestions much appreciated.
    Car: Ford Focus
    Currently stock setup. Trying to decide on the best setup for me.

Originally posted by jellymonster View Post
    Hi,

I have an O2 Joggler that I have been searching the webs for software to do what I need.

Basically I need a nice, simple frontend capable of at least Music (preferably more i.e. Video, GPS, Radio, handsfree connection etc) that I can plug a USB HDD into and work.

Has anyone had any luck with these?

Any suggestions much appreciated.
    Nice little device! So much so I have one in my car too :-)

If you search my posts you might find some useful info (or not!) - there's also a guy who put one in a Mazda but he's now replaced it with an iPad. I've found it very usable but you definately need to either have a proper hdd or EWF (or similar in linux) enabled so that it isn't bottlenecked by the storage.

You'll also need an external audio interface as the Jogglers own has interference on boot. Your experience may differ, but I had to destroy the mounting clips on my Joggler (no chance of it getting back into it's pre-car state). I will post a work log eventually when work isn't eating my time!
    Last edited by sparx; 09-15-2012, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I have come across your build before in my searches. I haven't this picture yet, looks amazing. I haven't yet looked into building it into my dash yet, I want to get software sorted first. What software do you use? I also saw the Mazda build, but I don't really want to use the HTML software like him.

When you say I need a hdd or EWF, what do you mean? Do you mean running software from an hdd or having media on an hdd.

I haven't come across any audio issues from the testing I've been doing in house yet. But I know how much of a nightmare noise in the system can be from my previous builds.

Comment

How are you listening to your audio? It only ever occurred through the headphone port on boot (and I believe only if you had some amplified speakers/amp connected) - I believe its a common problem with the Jogglers.

Unless you get a super fast flash stick then when you've set up your system you'd need to turn EWF on to protect your stick and also speed up windows a bit. Read speeds suffer when flash memory is being written to at the same time. I'm going to have my media on a second stick so that it's not having to read the music from the os stick. I don't think you need to worry too much if you're using a USB hdd.

Software wise i'm running the XP Build 3 from the Jogglerwiki site, with all apps stripped. RideRunner, Bluesoleil, Winamp, Garmin Mobile PC (with a bluetooth GPS module), and hopefully will have full phone integration soon so I can take calls through the joggler.

Comment

Originally posted by sparx View Post
          How are you listening to your audio? It only ever occurred through the headphone port on boot (and I believe only if you had some amplified speakers/amp connected) - I believe its a common problem with the Jogglers.

Unless you get a super fast flash stick then when you've set up your system you'd need to turn EWF on to protect your stick and also speed up windows a bit. Read speeds suffer when flash memory is being written to at the same time. I'm going to have my media on a second stick so that it's not having to read the music from the os stick. I don't think you need to worry too much if you're using a USB hdd.

Software wise i'm running the XP Build 3 from the Jogglerwiki site, with all apps stripped. RideRunner, Bluesoleil, Winamp, Garmin Mobile PC (with a bluetooth GPS module), and hopefully will have full phone integration soon so I can take calls through the joggler.
          I was listening to Audio via headphones (I've removed the speakers to make way for heatsinks and a fan). I'll plug it into my car Amps tomorrow and see what happens.

I've just installed Ubuntu 12.04 with XBMC which looks promising. If that fails I'm going to install XP and turn on EWF.

Another question, what hardware are you using? The USB hub I've tried doesn't work sometimes if I plug things in. I've tried it powered and unpowered, same problem. I was going to mod the joggler to add a 3rd USB port (in addition to Wifi usb and side USB), this will be USB 2.0 and I'll use it as boot USB stick.

I have a M4-ATX power supply from my previous install. Do you know if this will work with the Joggler? I imagine I can take power from the 5V rail to power it, I'm just unsure about the on/off wire that goes to the on/off pin on a PC's motherboard.

Comment

Working...
          X