Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking users who have experience using compactflash as a replacement hard drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking users who have experience using compactflash as a replacement hard drive

Basically, I'm wondering if there are any drawbacks/issues to using a compactflash card with an ide-compactflash adapter. On the positives, I know it will be quieter, hopefully less heat, and smaller overall dimensions. Is there anything i'm missing?
    Car Pc progress meter:
    [-5%-------------------] Carpc build #2. So far, 20$ deep! I love recycling!

"The car is the closest we will ever come to creating something that is truly alive" -Sir William Lyons
    My worklog

It's slower than an SSD, has no wear leveling support, and has limited re-writes so it's not so good for windows OS. They do make some IDE flash drives that are suited to the task, but size is small. I would rather choose a small 32GB or 64GB SSD, using an IDE to SATA adapter.

Comment

HORM is the way to go for CF.
      Don't expect any performance increase over a mechanical HDD.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

It's slow. Really slow. You would need to get a top-end card to get decent performance, and at that point you are better off getting an ssd.

I am using a tablet that has an IDE drive connection, and I just have a tiny CF card in there with /boot on it. All the real data resides on USB, which the bios doesn't want to boot by itself.

Comment

Working...
        X