X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car PC freezes when i hit a bump or when bass hits with a SSD

Hello,
    Im new here, i built a car pc a while ago and have been having problems alot. Right now my main issue is the fact that my pc will freeze whenever i hit a bump or when the bass hits and sometimes it wont and all will be well. i have a biostar mobo intel pentium 3.2GHz, samsung 60GB SSD and a PCI sound card, im using the M4-ATX-HV 250W to power the whole thing. Please help asap ive been dealing with this problem for 8 or 9 months now and cannot find any solutions. Thanks in advance. Also my touch screen goes on and off when bass hits and i tend to lose touch ability for no apparent reason moments after starting the system.

Best Regards,
    Charles

Sounds like something worked loose on the power connections? If you are using any kind of spring tensions power connectors like round barrel plugs, that might be something to verify. Also, if you have a common ground wire to the chassis, that might need to be re-scraped to metal and tightened.

I just went through a similar issue (rebooting) on my Camaro's carputer, because my car is so bouncy everything works loose easy. For me it was a crimped on spade lug connection to ground that worked slightly loose, but I found it Sunday after a few hours of sweating it.

Comment

Now that you mention it ive never checked the ground. All my amps are grounded at the same point with the carputer, ive never had a problem with my ground before. Do you think i should put a separate ground for the carputer? I wish I could go check it but its pouring rain out. Thanks Rray ill check this out asap and post back if it worked, if theres anything else you suspect to be the issue plz let me know.

Comment

It sounds to me like you don't have enough power being supplied to your mainboard. Is this a full size mainboard? What CPU (original pentium/i3/i5/i7). If it was something loose related to a connection you would think the computer would shut-off or reboot. Is your monitor also powered from your M4, other stuff being powered by M4 (like hub)? What gauge wire do you have feeding the M4?
        Also my touch screen goes on and off when bass hits and i tend to lose touch ability for no apparent reason moments after starting the system
        This is what makes me think its a lack of power and most likely the size of wire feeding the M4. SNO

Comment

freeze could also be contributed to a sata connector that is loose
          View my worklog here

Comment

Originally posted by SNOtwistR View Post
            It sounds to me like you don't have enough power being supplied to your mainboard. Is this a full size mainboard? What CPU (original pentium/i3/i5/i7). If it was something loose related to a connection you would think the computer would shut-off or reboot. Is your monitor also powered from your M4, other stuff being powered by M4 (like hub)? What gauge wire do you have feeding the M4?
            This is what makes me think its a lack of power and most likely the size of wire feeding the M4. SNO
            the board is a micro atx, cpu is original pentium 65w, its 10 or 12 gauge wire going to the m4 and the m4 is powering nothing else but the carputer and it has never shut off it only freezes

Comment

Originally posted by eugenweij View Post
              freeze could also be contributed to a sata connector that is loose
              nope i wish it was that easy ive checked the sata cables and even replaced them to be sure.

Comment

Depending on how the hard drive is mounted it could be vibration causing the issue.

Comment

When you say that the PC "freezes", does that mean it stops playback for a moment and then resumes, or does that mean the system crashes and needs to be rebooted?

Comment

You can sort out an intermittent ground by putting a 1 amp or so fuse between the PC ground right at the PC and a good chassis ground separate from any other ground. If you find a blown fuse, the current ran thru the fuse instead of the "regular" ground.

Comment

Originally posted by ClockWorK View Post
                      When you say that the PC "freezes", does that mean it stops playback for a moment and then resumes, or does that mean the system crashes and needs to be rebooted?

Im trying to respond to you guys but my posts are being moderated and they seem to take a day to be posted.. anyway the system crashes and needs to be rebooted im left with a frozen image of what was on the screen when it froze.

Comment

Originally posted by Rickk View Post
                        You can sort out an intermittent ground by putting a 1 amp or so fuse between the PC ground right at the PC and a good chassis ground separate from any other ground. If you find a blown fuse, the current ran thru the fuse instead of the "regular" ground.
                        Nice trick Rickk, I'm going to save that one for my bag of troubleshooting tests!

Comment

Originally posted by Rickk View Post
                          I originally misread that and thought you were proposing replacing the PC ground with a fuse. I was going to advise that that can be very damaging - losing power ground can mean other ground path are taken, hence frying circuits (like audio, USB, monitor feeds etc).

BUT this (fuse) is in addition to the PC ground. Hence if the PC ground was breaking, the alternate ground PC paths should already be fried if that was an issue, though they might not fry if the the break is short.
                          A 1A fuse should take about 0.3 secs to blow at 10A. If that is too slow, use a smaller fuse (a 250mA fuse blows in about 10mSecs @ 3A).

Normally a bulb would be used for finding broken ground faults, but since this is obviously a short duration problem (a freeze and not a reset etc), a bulb or LED lighting may not be noticed. Besides, the thing you hit whilst watching the bulb or LED is usually a bigger problem than the PC freeze. (I'm just being pragmatic, not egotistical.)

In conclusion, I'm with rray on this - nice one Rickk!!

Keep in mind it could also be in the +12V feed, though the M4 should ride thru short breaks, but a loose or bad connection in its circuitry or output wiring might be worth consideration... And then we get into all sorts of +12V and internal M4 issues (it senses a low voltage so it cuts supply??) and even the PC itself (as per SATA etc connections).
                          But the GND is the easiest and a very likely culprit. I think changing to - or adding - another GND is a good idea.
                          That fuse test is great if it shows that it is the current ... er, present GND that is the problem.

BTW - don't forget the usual tips - disconnect and reconnect all connections, and rotate fuses of the same value (rotate with a spare if it's a unique fuse size).

Comment

It does sound like a loose connection or something in your system is rattling apart.

Although modern computers are better with things rattling around they are not normally made for in car use and you could even be having an issue with your PCI sound card rattling around and moving around in the socket.

You will want to make sure all of the components that are not soldered onto the mother board are solidly mounted so they will not come off or come loose. Something as simple as a broken pin on the CPU heat sink so only 3 pins are holding it in place could cause issues as could quite a few other things. If you have very powerful bass you can rattle things apart quite easily. Any socketed chips either on the board or in your system could also be shaken apart in the socket. You may want to go around to every component in your system and make sure all chips and boards are solidly in their sockets and that all retaining hardware is fully in tact. If you do not find a wire issue then you may want to look into a different motherboard combination. You will be surprised at how much more durable a system with the sound and video on board will be since they can't be shaken up. I recently bought a "tough duty" motherboard for my build and it should work well. Another forum user is using the same board I am as well. But there are some boards out there available quite cheaply that have everything already mounted on board for you including the processor and you will have far fewer issues with them.

Comment

Not sure how I missed the fact the title said ssd, that makes my earlier comment useless. lots of good information in this thread though.

Comment

Working...
                              X