Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Computer Speaker system in Vehicle (A how to guide)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Computer Speaker system in Vehicle (A how to guide)

I have been using my logitech x-540 5.1 speaker system in my truck for the past 2 years and am very happy with the results. It is powered via the vehicle power and using the 4 existing factory speakers. I prefer this setup for a couple of reasons. Designed for computer use, low cost and most of all the remote on/off and volume/bass control. I like this setup so much I had to find another set for my Motorhome project (A new Frontier). Found a set on kijiji used, for the same money I paid originally (I'm sure the seller was very happy). This method can be used on other speaker systems I just prefer this model. Anyhow here is how I do it.

This it the sub box and remote
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	2310056

I removed the panel on back, this is the existing 120v power supply

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	2310057

This is the AMP guts

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	2310058

I removed the sub speaker as well to remove power supply

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	2310059

This is the 14.6v side we need to be concerned with I have circled the positive side (you can see the circuit board trace goes from wire to fuse)

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2310060

This is the backside showing the ground side (notice the bigger traces usually a good sign it the ground)

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	2310061

Installed the new wires for DC

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	2310062

Solder the new DC wires to where the original wire went to (polarity matters)

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	2310063

Install rear panel back in place and added connectors for ease of install/removal

Name:	9.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	2310064

Now usually this sub sits on a floor, The Motorhome has "shag" carpet and didn't want the bass getting absorbed by the carpet so I installed a piece of wood to simulate a solid floor. Makes for good bass

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	2310065

Side view of sub speaker and reflector wood

Name:	11.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	2310066

For power this is the best power supply money can buy and very reasonably priced for all it does DC-DC-USB sold in MP3Car store!

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	2310067

Last step is to set your voltage output on the DC-DC-USB power supply. Just put your voltage in and click set and save.

Name:	13.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	2310068

I hope this helps someone to get some good sound with volume control using existing factory speakers and not break the bank doing it. SNO

I have that DC-DC converter in my project too, and I am very pleased with it. I like the ignition to turn it on and time delay to turn it off feature.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Here is a short video showing the end result. Bear in mind this is done with a crappy recording device and playing through the original 1979 factory speakers. SNO

Comment

That's awesome, a sound system disguised at a V-8..... seriously though, for factory speakers in the MH, that sounds good!
        My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

Working...
        X