Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I attach two IDE cables together?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I attach two IDE cables together?

What's the easiest way without spending money since I have none. Thanks

the problem is if its a 40 pin ide device you'll probably not get it to go over 3 feet.
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

why is that?

Comment

RF interfearance, or signal loss.
        TruckinMP3
        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

DouggyDouggy, the problem is just like truckin said, you'll get interferance due to the lines not being in pairs wound together like Cat5 cable.

your one option is to use cat5 and connect 5 cat5 cables to ide adaptor ends and try that. That should reduce signal lose.. hopefully. There are many discussions on this if you search.
          '98 Explorer Sport
          80% done

Comment

hmmm damn. I had already bought a 3 foot cable hoping that would be enouhg but I would def need another foot. I only need it for the CD Drive though I got the Hard Drive covered

Comment

What about Firewire (IEEE 1394)? I found an adapter that allows me to hook up an IDE device via firewire. I am planning on running the firewire cable from my front loading CD/DVD along the top of the windshield, down to the floor, under the carpet to the carputer under the passenger seat. All told, at least 7ft. Anyone see any trouble with this strategy?

Comment

millec, that would work just fine.
                '98 Explorer Sport
                80% done

Comment

is there anything I can do as a temporary fix until I get a fdifferent cable??? Beacasue it just sucks not having music

Comment

I think your only option without using USB2 or Firewire and booting off that is to mount the hdd closer to the motherboard. IDE was never really designed to have long cables.

Comment

IDE is supposed to be 18" max, but you could try dual inline header with 20 pins... like wm6820-nd at digikey.com to connect two cables

Comment

I think... the 3 feet interfance is not right... there was a guy here that hooked up a dvd drive with a ~20 foot cable if i rember correctly, it was....anyone care to chime in...

You must be really really cheap because cables are like ... 25 cents around here, computer shops (local/small) might even give you one for free... I have tons lying around, shipping is worth more than the actual cable.

Comment

A few stories about long cables are arround.... You can listen to this thread or try to build a longer cable and find out if you can make it work.

That is what this place is for. Have fun.
                          TruckinMP3
                          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Well It's not that i'm really really cheap it's jsut taht I can't find any IDE cables that are like 4 feet or better. If anyone has one I'd love to buy it. rather than dickin around with two cables. The three footer seems to work fine so what's another foot?

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21
                              DouggyDouggy, the problem is just like truckin said, you'll get interferance due to the lines not being in pairs wound together like Cat5 cable.

your one option is to use cat5 and connect 5 cat5 cables to ide adaptor ends and try that. That should reduce signal lose.. hopefully. There are many discussions on this if you search.
                              Just having a cable with lines twisted does not reduce interference. Cat 5 networks work because they have a differential amplifier as ench end and the in the wire just help insure that the interference arrives at each side of the balanced amplifier 180 degrees out of phase. I see a lot of poeple try to replace wires with cat 5 twisted pair assuming it will improve signals when it won't.

Comment

Working...
                              X