Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powered USB hubs

Hello

Just wondering if anyone out there has self-powered USB hubs (not bus powered) running in their car, and if so how they achieved powering the hub?

Use the 5 volt wires of a molex connector from the power supply.

Comment

Another option is using these little guys at point of load. very efficient no heat and takes automotive voltage in no problem http://www.murata-ps.com/data/power/oki-78sr.pdf SNO

Comment

I was actually looking into getting a powered hub as well. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking clearly on how I would power it, so I'm glad I saw this. My question is, is 1.5 amps really enough? Isn't that roughly what the computers ports put out? I need a little more...I think...on the output. I have four regularly active ports and a fifth that will be on sometimes, 1 touchpad, 2 touchscreen, 3 I don't remember what this is, 4 thumb drive, 5 a signal processor for my sound system that can be switched on/off. My issue is with just 4 the thumb drive seems to draw too much power and shuts down one of the other ports.

Comment

USB ports are max 500mA so when you plug a non powered hub in you only really have 500mA to spread around. Using a powered hub you give all ports that 500mA. Now in reality, I can't see you drawing a full 2amp on a 4 port hub unless maybe you had 2 harddrive enclosures that like 2 usb ports each. For what you describe in use I would think 1.5amp is fine. You can always check the draw of a device or hub draw in windows control panel. SNO

Comment

I bought one of those Ram USB Tough HUB powered USB hubs that turns on with the ignition wire, just like a car's audio amp turns on. I like that I can set it to power off after 15 minutes of the ignition being off. 6 ports with 5v 500ma each and runs off the car's 12v makes it an easy, although expensive choice.

Comment

I dont have a power supply (running laptop) so i need to power it from the car, but Ram USB Tough USB is a bit too expensive for a usb hub....

I only have 3 ports to play with, and need to connect all these devices...

2x2.5" hdd,
              webcam,
              video capture card,
              usb volume knob,
              bluetooth keyboard,
              wifi,
              touchscreen,
              odb2,
              gps,
              3g dongle,

Comment

It looks like you will have 3 hubs as I would not run all that through 1 usb cable. I would use 1 hub for each of your 3 mainboard ports you have and power those using that little regulator 1 for each hub, you should be good. Once it's all together, check your loads on all your ports just to be sure your not hitting max bandwidth or power draw. SNO

Comment

Ok, so where do I buy one and how much do they cost. Also, where is the switch to the 5V?

Comment

Here is the link if this is what you are talking about. http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...6-5-ND/2259781 SNO

Comment

Just putting another option out their:

This is what I use, however, I would google it to find a better price, fleabay seems to have the best price nowadays.
                      http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapte...Hub~ST7200USBM

I like it because its constantly on - so I can charge my phone threw my mounted USB port, and Other things have constant power so I dont have to worry about it powering on properly. Had it about 2 years without an issue.

I'm thinking about moving to this one day:
                      http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapte...ble~ST7300USBM

Comment

Originally posted by trippah View Post
                        I dont have a power supply (running laptop) so i need to power it from the car, but Ram USB Tough USB is a bit too expensive for a usb hub....

I only have 3 ports to play with, and need to connect all these devices...

2x2.5" hdd,
                        webcam,
                        video capture card,
                        usb volume knob,
                        bluetooth keyboard,
                        wifi,
                        touchscreen,
                        odb2,
                        gps,
                        3g dongle,
                        I have to ask why the hard drives would be USB instead of SATA or PATA.
                        Internal drives would eliminate the need for two USB ports alone.
                        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I've modded several usb charger cigarette lighter adapters for use as a 5 volt source. The only problem I've had was when I was using a laptop that had a battery in it. It would back feed voltage through the usb port. I added a diode to solve that problem. I've also used some of the Anker Uspeed hubs that are 12 volt native.
                          Works for me. YMMV. lol

Comment

snotwistr, one more question...I think...did you get pig tails for this or did you solder directly to the leads? I can't find pig tails or a connector that will accept anything larger than a 22G wire, I need 20g for 1.5 amps. I generally would prefer not to go through the hastle of soldering to this because I don't have a solder gun w/ enough wattage to properly solder to a solid object like that...just wire to wire.

Comment

I just solder to the ends, you don't need much heat these are very small the same size as a lm7805 regulator or you could crimp some connectors on with a good crimper. SNO

Comment

Working...
                              X