Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1000 Says it has 6 Channel Output

So how do you use it?

I'm planning on using the line-out audio port into my car amplifier (4 channel). Do I just put a Y-splitter on the L and one on the R and I'm good to go? Or do I need something else to truly pull this off??

I'm shooting for 4.1 with the highest quality I can get. I'll do the .1 later, so I'm focusing on the 4 now. (Yes, I do realize that for super high quality, I need a 3rd party PCI card such as the M-Audio Revolution 7.1)

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

why didn't you just read the manual ?

http://www.viavpsd.com/product/3/4/e...nual_v1.31.pdf
    in the appendix smart 5.1
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

Comment

I havnt actually done it yet, but I played with it inthe past on another sound card - go into the controle panel, sound setings, and somewhere in there is a configure button. a drop down menu lists possible output configs - one of them says 4 chanel.

The blue and green jacks then become line out - one left and right chanel for each jack. the red jack becomes center chanel in 5.1
      Gizmo-
      Techonlogy on Wheels
      http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Comment

So My Fl and Fr are one jack (stereo), my Rl and Rr are another jack (also stereo), and the last jack gives me my Fc and Sub, giving me 6 channels.

If it's using "line-out", how does that convert into RCA so I can plug it into my amp? Furthermore, how does it convert into RCA so that I do not lose a channel?

(This is all very new to me, I've worked with line-outs before, but it was for home speakers and you just plug it in and it works.)

Do I use these?

Or these?

Thanks,
        Kevin

Comment

Yes.

Comment

So three of those hooked up to an M10000 in 5.1 mode, will yield me 6 channels?

Here's another dumb question: In 5.1 mode, do only low frequencies go to the .1 channel?? I hope each channel still receives full range. Then I can HP/LP the frequencies I want and I'm good to go.

Thanks,
            Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by maxcosity
              So three of those hooked up to an M10000 in 5.1 mode, will yield me 6 channels?

Here's another dumb question: In 5.1 mode, do only low frequencies go to the .1 channel?? I hope each channel still receives full range. Then I can HP/LP the frequencies I want and I'm good to go.

Thanks,
              Kevin
              The sub channel is low pass only
              [H]4 Life
              I'm a lesbian too.
              I am for hire!

Comment

Ok, but I could use the center channel as my sub channel and the LP it on my amp, right?

What happens if the software running doesn't support 5.1. Does it just output to channels 1 and 2 and then I get no rear fill/sub? My amp has a switch to go from 4-channel input to 2-channel input, so I can switch the channel and get rear fill and sub off just the front inputs (1 and 2), but I'd rather not have to flip that switch if I'm going from software to software, ya know?

Comment

Originally posted by maxcosity
                  Ok, but I could use the center channel as my sub channel and the LP it on my amp, right?

no because your center is different, you need to think in terms of 5.1 audio here, it's 6 DISCRETE Channels, completely different from stereo, which is only two, and it just gets more complicated from there.

why don't you just use the SUB channel to your amp ?
                  [H]4 Life
                  I'm a lesbian too.
                  I am for hire!

Comment

What do you mean about the sub channel?

My concern is "what will happen when I use some carputer program which only outpus audio in 2 channels (L and R)? The other 4 channels (2 Rears, Center, and Sub) will get not signal. That's really a problem for me for my sub.

I will be using the carputer for MP3s which are not encoded in 5.1 and played using WinAmp which does not support 5.1? Do I only get 2 channels (the front two)?

I guess I need to find a simple, easy way to either switch my amp from 4 to 2 channel input (which I have but it's a pain), or to have my computer replicate the 2 channels into 6 channels for me automagically.

With DVD this won't be an issue, but MP3s are more important to me.

Do they make anything like an RCA bus which lets you have 6 inputs and 6 outputs and map them however you want?

Comment

Actually my amp has preamp outputs, so I can take the signal from the fronts and put it through to a sub amp and then I'm good to go. Get 4 and sub or 2 and sub, fine by me.

Comment

If you don't need 5.1 then why do you want to enable it in the first place ?
                        [H]4 Life
                        I'm a lesbian too.
                        I am for hire!

Comment

Well, I do want the 5.1 capability (even though I don't have a center channel and will be using only 4.1 of it).

I want to watch DVDs in the car and want the surround sound. But for all other times, I want to play MP3s and need fronts and sub. I didn't know if there was an easy way to do it, but I just figured it out (the wiring diagram):

This way in 5.1 output from my carputer, I get surround sound, so movies will be great. I get 4 channels and then I'm passing through the 1st 2 channels to the next amp, too. The next amp is for sub, so I get bass (.1 kind of).

Then if I play MP3s, I get 2 channel output from my carputer, so that goes into my fronts only and I pass through the same signal to the other amp, which gives me bass, so I get 2.1 kind of. :-)

I don't have to do anything -- no flipping switches to alter my setup/output.

Comment

Working...
                          X