Power Supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Supply

Sorry to bother with an ignorant question but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. I just picked up a system (K6 233) and I need some help with the dc-dc power supply. I really don't know what one to get. I was looking at the Arise ACE-865v...what do you guys think? Also, this is a long shot but, I'm using an ABit IT5...anyone know if I'm gonna have any power good problems? It's my understanding that some boards don't require this. Thanks a lot.

luc: get it and u will NEVER regret it. Thats what i am using in my box now. That power supply works fine and can power more devices.

abcd-1
    abcd-1
    Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
    You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

I have the 916v dc-dc power supply, and i'm going to install the computer in my car very soon.

My question is; How thick wire does this power supply need? Could i use the thin wires already in my car (hook up in fusebox or similar), or shoud i install a thinker wire directly from the battery?

Comment

When wiring high current draw items (like amplifiers), thicker is better. The two considerations for choosing wire size are current draw and wire length. The more current an item draws, or the farther the power line run is, the thicker the wire should be. For example, I am using 8 gauge wire from my underhood fuse, which splits to two 10 gauge feeds for each of my 50 Watt amps. The run is about 12 feet.
        KG6OQD
        www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

You don't need 10AWG wire to run a small DC-DC. 16AWG should be fine as long as the run isn't more than 20 feet or so.

------------------
          Aaron Cake
          London, Ontario, Canada

Player: Cyrix 200, 32MB RAM, 10.2Gig Quantum HD, Onboard EtherNet/Sound/Video, Custom Lexan Case, Win95 Kernal w/Custom Player
          Car: '86 Mazda RX-7 w/Basic Performance Upgrades
          Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
          Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
          "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Sorry, but I have to disagree with Mr. Cake.
            10 AWG would be a good investment for two reasons.
            a. 16 awg is fairly puny given that the PSU would draw at least 12 amps continuously (given the inherent inefficiencies of power supplies) and could spike even higher. If the voltage drops due to insufficient current capacity on the wire, you'll fry your motherboard
            b. 10 awg gives you plenty of headroom, especially if you need to run the wire more than 10 feet. One more thing to consider is expansion. If you choose to add an amp or other component, you'll have the necessary power capacity to do it. IMHO: Spend the money, get bigger primary wire.
            >T

------------------
            Keep thinking! =)
            Keep thinking! =)

Comment

Originally posted by typhoon:
              Sorry, but I have to disagree with Mr. Cake.
              10 AWG would be a good investment for two reasons.
              a. 16 awg is fairly puny given that the PSU would draw at least 12 amps continuously (given the inherent inefficiencies of power supplies) and could spike even higher. If the voltage drops due to insufficient current capacity on the wire, you'll fry your motherboard
              b. 10 awg gives you plenty of headroom, especially if you need to run the wire more than 10 feet. One more thing to consider is expansion. If you choose to add an amp or other component, you'll have the necessary power capacity to do it. IMHO: Spend the money, get bigger primary wire.
              The Arise supply draws about 9A surge and 4.5A continuously, at least in my setup. I used 15AWG I believe just because I had it around. 4.5A is not that much, and can easily be serviced by rather thin wire for short distances. If it must be run a long way, larger wire will help minimize losses and heating.

That said, larger wire is a good idea if you plan to hook up some amps and such to the same connection as your PS. However, 10AWG is very difficult to run due to it's size, so it should be avioded unless necessary.

------------------
              Aaron Cake
              London, Ontario, Canada

Player: Cyrix 200, 32MB RAM, 10.2Gig Quantum HD, Onboard EtherNet/Sound/Video, Custom Lexan Case, Win95 Kernal w/Custom Player
              Car: '86 Mazda RX-7 w/Basic Performance Upgrades
              Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
              Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
              "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

I already have 4AWG wire running from the battery to the trunk for my 2 rockford fosgate amps.

But I'm not going to mount the computer in the trunk, but inside the car (in the front). And i don't want to split up that wire in the middle.

So would i be better off running another wire from the battery to the computer (8 AWG), or could i just hook into the cars electrical system (cigarette lighter or a nearby wire)?

Comment

Working...
                X