Concept Car Computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concept Car Computer

Hi all, great forum you have here! I have been in-and-out of it for a while now, but just got serious about CarPC's since I will be driving soon and want a PC in my car

I have a 1997 Jetta GLS, with mostly stock parts... Upgraded head unit, but thatís about it (It was the nannyís car originally, and so my parents didn't upgrade anything) I want to put a LCD in the dash, where my head unit is. But I am not sure if the ones I have seen around here that go in (I think this is the term) a single DIN slot will fit. Someone mentioned how the LCD and holder turned out to not fit and was a bit too wide. My head unit spot fits a Sony HU with no problem, so I'm guessing its stock size... It might even have a little extra room around it; I think we had to get a special edge for the unit.

If someone could get me the exact dimensions of a LCD that goes in the dash, it would be great.

Now, for power... I think I'll want to use an inverter because while I could get a DC-DC converter (whatever they are called) for the Mini-ITX motherboard no problem, I also want to power a hard drive and a CD ROM, and the CD-ROM is external in a fire wire case and it uses AC not DC. I am guessing that if I do some power tests on the power brick for it, I will find it uses DC after the brick though

Also, where is a good place to buy in-dash LCD's? I am looking for price points, mainly... How hard are they to install, as well? I have never installed anything like this but I guess I could always take it to a friend that has or to a shop if I had to, unless its quite easy or there are really good directions

What type of wire should I use for a VGA LCD as well? I want to mount the computer in the trunk, so it will be a few yards between it all...

One last thing on the LCD, it needs to be a touch screen and it needs to be VGA.

Thanks in advance!!
    1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

i don't think there are any in-dash vga screens yet. digitalww looks like his is close to being on the market so check with his site often.
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

Yes that is the place I have been looking at. Quite expensive however... I guess it is probably worth it though, if it is of good quality. Anyone know what the dimensions on the DigitalWW non-VGA ones are? Just a guess, but the encasements will probably be the same
      1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

VGA touch screens are available from several sources.
        Try http://www.xenarc.com/ in the US or www.cartft.com in europe.

Unless i have miss-understood your question.

John
        RV Dynamics Nemesis
        Epia M9000 with 20GB 2.5 HD
        7" TFT LCD VGA Monitor & Touch Screen
        Shutdown controller & DC Regulator (Home Made)
        GPS
        On-Digital Remote
        Road Runner Software

Comment

That's what I needed, but I already have that info.

Another question! How would/do you power your LCD? I am planning on a DC-DC PSU, but it will be in the trunk...
          1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

i just ran 12v+ and ground wire up from the psu to the front of my jeep to power the lcd, that way the lcd only has power while the computer is on

1997 Jeep Wrangler Rugged Waves

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

Good idea. How are you powering your computer? Via DC-DC? (Sorry, I don't want to go check you site.. Again ) And how do you control on-off and whatnot. Does it shutoff when you shut the car off or did you bypass that?

Thanks for putting up with me
              1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

hey Sigma, check your PM. Anyway I am using an OPUS 150w to power the comp. I suppose you can run a wire from that to the front for your screen. Right now I just have a fuse tap to power my screen, I suppose tapping off the power supply owuld be ideal but right now everything works fine, aint broke so why fix it.

Just make everything run ignition off so everything turns off with the key. Such as my opus, its powered with a relay between the 12v ~~> opus line so that everything just shuts off.
                Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

DC-DC looks quite cool What type of relay are you using? BTW, nice mod job (Re pics @ DWW)
                  1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

most people are using or switching to an OPUS power supply it seems. It's a great little (keyword) unit that does a good job of powering all my devices. With the OPUS a relay isn't even needed, it has a trigger 12v wire that gets connected to your ign line.

1997 Jeep Wrangler Rugged Waves

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

The OPUS was the one I was looking at. Let me try to get this right. With the OPUS it comes on and off when my engine comes on and off? Can I use it (Computer) with the engine off? I won't want to much, but sometimes I might want to apply patches to Linux or add more MP3's and whatnot..
                      1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

Working...
                      X