mobile pc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mobile pc

I basically wanna hook up a pc in my car that does everything. I want it to play dvd's, cd's, mp3's. etc.... I want a pretty big lcd screen. Can anyone tell me what i might need to do all of this or is there a premade setup like the one described here? Just real curious.

check around the mp3car.com site and check out the guy with the explorer he has two lcd screens and can surf the net while in his car very very tight
    Music is the language, love is the message.

Comment

i make a unit like that which sells for (about) a grand. what size LCD did you want? the tiny ones go for $140 and anything bigger than 6.4" is gonna cost you an arm and a leg.

if you want to do this yourself, you are gonna have to acquire a lot of time and a whole lot of money, especially since you want dvd. older chips cant handle the DVD, and you are gonna have to either get a decoder card or a video card with a hardware DVD decoder on it. and since you mentioned almost everything else, why not throw on GPS?

drop me an email at [email protected] and tell me everything you want to do, and i'll give you a coupla quotes
      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
      I'M DEBT FREE!!
      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

WizardPC: almost right. Basically he needs an AMD k6-III 400mhz. With that CPU he doesn't need a decoder card. Now since he mentioned everything, i will strongly suggest he takes a look at my 2nd box. TV,Mp3,DVD,VCD,ASF,MPEG,Roladex,GPS,Search,....it goes on. I still have few more functions to do before i call it a day.

ftp://pictures [email protected]

abcd-1
        abcd-1
        Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
        You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

cenwesi, one problem...your site does not take anon login and you did not leave the password in your message.

Comment

Yes he did, it's just that the smiley-system on this board messed it up.

From what he wrote, i can tell you that both the login and the password is pictures.

Originally posted by mustang:
            cenwesi, one problem...your site does not take anon login and you did not leave the password in your message.

Comment

G-NET Canada makes full blown car computing systems. www.gnetcanada.com

Comment

yeah, if you wanna overpay.........
                Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                I'M DEBT FREE!!
                I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

just curious, wheres the "explorer" page that
                  mc is talking about. I have an explorer and i need ideas for my 2nd mp3 car(ford.mp3car.com). Thanks
                  2004 F-150
                  Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
                  "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Comment

gguy: what is that i see, they use a touch pad to control the box. If i am not mistaken, it don't even have any IR to control ALL the device OR app. Dude this company is a major rip off. It basically a bookPC. Look at how much they are charging for the GPS package and then u will use the mouse and keyboard to control it.

abcd-1
                    abcd-1
                    Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                    You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

uh, razor, your site doesn't load anything for me, its a grey box.. I tried it on internet exploder and nutscrape...
                      2005 Subaru Legacy GT, carputer in progress
                      Current status: Phase 1 Complete: working in car with no bugs, Phase II started, screen out of dash, making working mockup for beta testing

Comment

i like that nutscrape

Comment

I think what most new folks need to realize is that they are diving into the hobbist/hacker/experimentor/adventurer arena when they make one of these mobile systems.

So that means often times you will have to try new stuff on your own, and figure out what works. You can read enough posts to get the gist. There are only so many components.

Besides what works for me may not (or probably will not) work for anyone else, but you can try some stuff.

Visit the posters and others web pages. Visit the carmp3 web ring.

Just start throwing crap together until you figure out what you like.

------------------
                          http://www.geocities.com/mr_bubba_zanetti/
                          current projects

Comment

momo6383,

If you want to play dvd's, look into getting a pretty nice video card that can handle dvd software decoding. I'm running a celeron366 with a ATI Rage 128 and there's no slow down in the dvd decoding. So as long as you get a decently high CPU and a good video card, you won't need an extra hardware dvd decoder.

------------------
                            www.geocities.com/blkdragon6
                            www.geocities.com/blkdragon6

Comment

Your milage may vary, but I've found that the software decoder you choose makes a big difference too. I tried three or four decoders before I found one that plays seemlessly with my system (see specs in tagline). I'm such a spaz... I can't remember which one it is now .

-kate

------------------
                              send mail to:
                              kate at bootstrap dot net

2000 Jeep Cherokee
                              Asus CUW(E) + 366mhz Celeron + 96mb + 13GB + DVD
                              Palm Pilot + PalmAmp
                              300w Inverter

Comment

Working...
                              X