CD Rom digital out extension?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Rom digital out extension?

Hey guys. Just in the process of installing a cd rom drive in my dash (computer in the trunk) and was wondering what to do about the audio cable. I'd like to use the SPDIF out (digital out) on it for the best sound quality, but since the cable is a foot long I'm going to have to extend it. Does it use any special type of wiring inside the cable or can I just simply cut and solder plain copper wire in to extend it? Don't want to do all this soldering work and then find out it doesn't work.
    AMD Duron 750, 128m RAM, 10gig WD, 12.1" TFT screen, SB Live! 5.1, custom plexiglass case
    TalonTemple.com

My understanding is that it's regular copper wire and most any wire will do but the wire should be the same wire gage or larger.

In short most any wire will work.
    That's right, you just got passed by a computerized toaster...

Comment

Does the Spdif out go from your soundcard to your cdrom instead of the normal cdrom out

or does it go from soundcard to tape deck instead of aux out?

sorry im confused and my sb live value didnt come with a spdif out (although it said it had digital out)

Comment

The cable goes from the Digital Out connector on the back of the cd rom to the SPDIF In connection on the soundblaster live. Then I'm just hooking the soundblaster up to a 4channel amp so I can use the front and rear outputs of the soundcard, get that surround sound feel.
        AMD Duron 750, 128m RAM, 10gig WD, 12.1" TFT screen, SB Live! 5.1, custom plexiglass case
        TalonTemple.com

Comment

Working...
        X