PC Based Radar Detector?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Based Radar Detector?

Anybody ever heard about a PC based radar detector? I undertstand that there will be a receiver unit involved, but I would like my car PC to handle the rest.

What have ya?
    Stop Buying New Music CD's.
    Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

is there any reason u would get a pc-based one?
    project: built, updating software
    comp: 1.67 ghz AMD, 1 gig of ram, 80 gb hd
    software: nlited xp, roadrunner
    screen: TM-701L touchscreen
    bluetooth keyboard
    Sony Xplod cdx-m630
    SB MP3 sound card
    future: gps with and navigation software

Comment

To have everything integrated into one audio visual source. Maybe even plot the speed trap on your GPS map?
      4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

For the UK at least, there is a database of known speed cameras for TomTom Navigator 2 for PocketPC available here, but I'm sure someone here will be clever enough to be able to be able to write a utility to convert it to data that can be read and input into other popular software, and get it inserted as POI

Of course if you're not in the UK, it won't do you much good, however if you are in the UK, then it could be useful to warn you of any speed cameras

Garry
        Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
        www.aimee.cc

Comment

You posted the links to info yourself Skraggy...?
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=14645

Although thinking about it, I wonder if you can run Trafcam in a PocketPC emulator on a 'normal' PC...?

http://www.trafcam.com/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...lator_nafc.asp
          Nehemiah M10000 board, 512Mb RAM, Win98'lite', 7" TFT DIN in-dash VGA touchscreen. IR keyboard. GPS.

Comment

I am thinking about doing something similar myself, although I am realistic about the fact that it is a long ways away (several years at best).

My radar detector, like most, has a headphone output.
            You could design a simple circuit that detects the beep and marks your GPS software with that spot.
            Over time you would train the GPS software what spots have what fixed radars.
            When an unknown radar appears it would make a second, more noticable, sound on your stereo.

The follow up to this is to then upload the data to a server on the internet.
            People could subscribe to this server and always know where the latest radars are going off, fixed and mobile (and you know what mobile means).

An alternative to this would be that I could just stop speeding!

Pv

Comment

I would help code this if you want.. I am just learning the required things I think.. Java or C++ and I can help, at least. I haven't done VB for a few years tho.

Is there any sort of radar decector receivor that reports it back to a computer? The software doesn't matter as it can all be writen..

And no, stopping speeding does NOT sound like fun!
              1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

it would be pimp if you combine a radar jammer in with it. you know give you some more time to slow down if speeding.
                Originally posted by menudude
                thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

Comment

I know they make auto jammers..

A little OT... Where can I get a pre-made detector and jammer that works? I need one with my speed habbits..!
                  1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

Uh, Radar Jammers are HIGHLY illegal.
                    The US' FCC sees to that.
                    There are NO working radar jammers on the market.
                    Show me one and buy it for me and I'll show you it doesn't work.

The FCC specifically forbids any product from intentionally causing any sort of radio interference.
                    If the FCC doesn't get you, the Military DEFINITELY will!

I think the reason people think Radar Jammers exist is because Laser Jammers *DO* exist.
                    Lasers are controlled by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration), and they don't have any laws against causing interference to Lasers.
                    Let's be quiet and keep it that way!

Back to the software idea, I am still a long ways away from writing a single line of code.
                    I would need to build a device that sits between a detector (headphone out) the the PC (serial or USB).
                    It should be pretty easy, and I am SLOWLY looking in to it, but I have other projects I am working on too.

Pv

Comment

I have been working on the Radar detector delema for abou 2 months .. I got my hands on a radar detector that has an interface that I am working on communicating with. I am also writing a plugin for my carputer in order to display the reading from the radar and create alerts based on the distance from Radar source. So far its going well.. I am expected to be done with this interface some time before the winter.. One note.. The plugin i am writing is for Showshifter and Windows XP embedded which is the interface and OS I have chosen for my project. I know most of you use ME but I decided to try something different and wait to see what ME 2.0 has to offer.. I will be creating the cable for the interface and keeping the source open for the plugin so other people can use it.. But I wont be creating a plugin for ME as of now.. Here is the radar detector that I am using along with the interface display that I have dismantled in order to do this...

https://store.valentine1.com/store/
                      --- XMP Project ---
                      Intraplex Latte P4 - Mini PC
                      ICOM PCR100 - AM/FM
                      Sony Ext DVD
                      Xenarc - 700TS
                      WinTV FM USB Adapter
                      Pioneer IR Steering Wheel Rmote
                      ** Software:
                      CoPilot 2003, ShowShifter Pro, Dragon VR, Communicate.

Comment

Valentine 1

Holy Credit Cards Batman,

You would have to choose one of the most expensive radar detectors around to try this out on, huh? If this works out for you I would love to see what you have to say about the project. I will follow in your footsteps, I use XP and having no clue as to how to begin am patiently waiting to read what you learn.

Peter

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

I wish i could find a cheaper solution.. Unfortunatly, the cheap radar detectors dont have any way to interface with it. This is the only one ic ould find that had at least an interface that I could work with..
                          --- XMP Project ---
                          ICOM PCR100 - AM/FM
                          Sony Ext DVD
                          Xenarc - 700TS
                          WinTV FM USB Adapter
                          ** Software:

Comment

Just out of curiousity, what is the interface on the valentine1?
                            Peter

Comment

There is a connection for an external display .. there are all types of displays for this .. IE Rear View Mirror. HUD or the cig lighter as u see in the link.. What i have done is taken this connection and have been interpreting the readings to come up with a schema then feeding it into a serial relay.. the the app will take those reading and with my schema create action like display a warning and how close or play a wav file ..
                              --- XMP Project ---
                              ICOM PCR100 - AM/FM
                              Sony Ext DVD
                              Xenarc - 700TS
                              WinTV FM USB Adapter
                              ** Software:

Comment

Working...
                              X