X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want a Fast BOOT

Boot off of a CompactFlash

http://www.mini-box.com/cfadapter.htm

I think this may be (somewhat) old news. I'm curous though .. what kind of complete boot times do people see with these things?

They can be used with any Motherboard with an IDE slot, correct?

-Brad
    83 mp320i 285k
    -Brad
    83 mp320i
    99 mp323i
    _________

7" Lilliput w/Touch, 150 W Opus, 2.4ghz P4 533fsb, 512 DDR 333mhz, GPS, WiFi Inet, 40g Maxtor 7200rpm, Laptop DVD/CD-RW w/USB2.0 Bridge, WinXP Pro.

Comment

it depends on your speed of your computer and what ATA capability you have (ATA66/100/133)

and yes

Comment

Ok, I'd like to hear some people's setups and see what kind of boot time they get...

-Brad
        83 mp320i 285k
        -Brad
        83 mp320i
        99 mp323i
        _________

7" Lilliput w/Touch, 150 W Opus, 2.4ghz P4 533fsb, 512 DDR 333mhz, GPS, WiFi Inet, 40g Maxtor 7200rpm, Laptop DVD/CD-RW w/USB2.0 Bridge, WinXP Pro.

Comment

also, we dont all necessarily own 1g compactflash discs.. But yes Id like to know how fast people boot as well.
          Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

let me put it this way i boot in 30 secs or less on 600 mhz p3 on a old 10gig 5400 rpm ata 66 that runs win. ME

Comment

Meh -- I can boot in 45-50s from hibernate (yeah i know not the same, but what I use) on a 400mhz k6-2 with an old 2.5" 6gigger! WinME! I would expect something faster from flash cards..

-Brad
              83 mp320i 285k
              -Brad
              83 mp320i
              99 mp323i
              _________

Comment

you would expect extremly fast boots compared to what boot time is now i cant give you and exact but i would expect about 10-20sec with a flash card

Comment

The bonus of compact flash cards are that they have no seek times involved, but their downfall is the fact that they have a very slow transfer rate, so they're not an instant boot.
                  -Nick

Comment

Got an CF->IDE adapter on my Eden Epia 800.

IF you are looking at using one of these as a direct replacement for an IDE drive, they are not as fast as a HD drive to boot up as the max transfer rate for CF cards is approx 1.5mbits per second. They are getting faster though so who knows.

Where they are very helpful is say in a read only setup as you can just turn the PC off (no need for timer shutdown after ignition off) and not worry about disk crashes
                    My CarPC install piccies http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgi-bin...at=561&thumb=1

Comment

Dont run your OS on them, just dont.

CF cards have a limited number of write cycles, after which that memory location is unusable. Running your full OS on it means your swap is on it too.

Swap will kill the CF card in no time at all.

Comment

well it must take a while then, because someone here not too long ago stated they have ran there OS off the same CF card for 2+ years and has no problems what so ever
                        92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

If you are intreasted in running a CF card for ur OS you will have lots of problems running desktop OS's it. I tried most os installs on a cf card (Windows 95,98,me, 2000 and XP) All come back with one problem or another when being run for long periods of time.. Most of which are blue screens. The best OS's to run on CF cards are small kernal OS's like embedded OS or linux (and or any hybrid unix os with a Lite kernal install). Currently I use Windows XP Embedded on my CF card.. I get 10 sec boot times out of hybernation or 30 sec on a full boot. I am working and getting the boot time faster. I want the hybernation under 5 secs. I am also looking at win ce.. The only problem is driver support. Windows XPe has all the normal support for drivers that full XP has...
                          --- XMP Project ---
                          Intraplex Latte P4 - Mini PC
                          ICOM PCR100 - AM/FM
                          Sony Ext DVD
                          Xenarc - 700TS
                          WinTV FM USB Adapter
                          Pioneer IR Steering Wheel Rmote
                          ** Software:
                          CoPilot 2003, ShowShifter Pro, Dragon VR, Communicate.

Comment

kinda off topic, but where can you get windows xp embedded?
                            肚子笑痛了
                            S60 Install

Comment

If you use a CompactFlash to boot your windows OS,

Make sure you configure windows to use another drive for
                              it's swap file.

But I think you will find it will want to write to its boot drive
                              for any other temp data.

Comment

Working...
                              X