ok ok. Im a butcher (too)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok ok. Im a butcher (too)

I hang my head in shame (smiling uncontrolably).

While reading through posts on wednesday, i came across a post by sumbody, who had wired there 15v laptop straight to a 12v rail in their car with sucess.

Having previously thought of this as extremely dangerous and totaly insane.
    So I did it; I wired up my laptop in my car with out voltage regulation. AND IT ACTUALLY WORKS. Pulls max 2A, and runs flawlessley from 9.8V to 14.5V. =] . I pulled some covers off and had a feel of the power transistors, theyre not getting to hot so i figure it should be ok, checked the 12v and 5v rails internally and they both sit stable, so i figure im not going to do any damage internally. =]

I have my 2x24 charachter display now sitting on my dash pulling power from VGA port (5v), with my keyboard in the drivers footwell, and today im hooking up my ir remote (SV-2020 by interact). =]. My mp3 car is truely underway. Now i just need to get my bigger hard drive into my laptop. 6gig should be enough for now.

Im still running winamp, and im in no real rush to move to linux. I have enough of an understanding to go that way, but i see no real need, there is no reason not to use 98. Its stable, fast, compatible, softwarez is readily available, and im lazy. =]

TOTAL COST OF MP3 project so far $0.00 =]

I luv it, I luv it. ts ts ts ts, duf duf duf
    http://iamnot.azn.nu

Use Linux, free your mind!

Thats rather cool tho, that it worked and all. Hope your rails don't fluculate too much
    1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

Linux?

Originally posted by SiGmA_X
      Use Linux, free your mind!

Thats rather cool tho, that it worked and all. Hope your rails don't fluculate too much
      TELL ME WHY I SHOULD GO TO LINUX? IVE BEEN THERE DONE THAT AND COME BACK AGAIN. LINUX IS A VERY POWERFULL OS, BUT JUST DOESN'T HAVE THE COMPATABILITY THAT IM AFTER. IM NOT A PROGRAMMER AND DONT INTEND ON BECOMING ONE. NOTHING AGAINST PEOPLE WHO USE LINUX, ITS JUST NOT ME.

sTABLE AS A ROCK.

Comment

Good to hear it works... I'm also guilty of wiring my lapyop directly to my cars electrics (make sure you use a fuse tho!)... No problems so far, plus I got the laptop for free, cause someone broke the screen.
        My Setup

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHunt79
          Good to hear it works... I'm also guilty of wiring my lapyop directly to my cars electrics (make sure you use a fuse tho!)... No problems so far, plus I got the laptop for free, cause someone broke the screen.
          that's how I got mine.
          Stop Buying New Music CD's.
          Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

Originally posted by SOBIL
            TELL ME WHY I SHOULD GO TO LINUX? IVE BEEN THERE DONE THAT AND COME BACK AGAIN. LINUX IS A VERY POWERFULL OS, BUT JUST DOESN'T HAVE THE COMPATABILITY THAT IM AFTER. IM NOT A PROGRAMMER AND DONT INTEND ON BECOMING ONE. NOTHING AGAINST PEOPLE WHO USE LINUX, ITS JUST NOT ME.

sTABLE AS A ROCK.
            No need to shout? Learn how to use the CAPS LOCK it will help with your computer skills..

I think Linux is better because its all free and mostly open source, which means I can get in and look at things and modify what I want to. Linux has full compatibility with just about everything, and even with some old SCSI stuff that Windows droped support for a long time ago. I perfer Linux because I can control it vs it controling me. Also, it is a LOT more stable. I never crashed my computer via the OS, only via hardware when in Linux. With Windows, I have it auto-reboot every day because it gets that bad.
            1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

Originally posted by SiGmA_X
              No need to shout? Learn how to use the CAPS LOCK it will help with your computer skills..

I think Linux is better because its all free and mostly open source, which means I can get in and look at things and modify what I want to. Linux has full compatibility with just about everything, and even with some old SCSI stuff that Windows droped support for a long time ago. I perfer Linux because I can control it vs it controling me. Also, it is a LOT more stable. I never crashed my computer via the OS, only via hardware when in Linux. With Windows, I have it auto-reboot every day because it gets that bad.
              Sorry, work habit. Posted at work where i spend all my time in a database where I have to type CAPS. Not yelling, just lazy.

I've used linux before and i know the advantages, but at the same time it has a lot of disadvantages. As I said, Im not a programmer, and unfrtunately i havn't seen enough development of software for nix. I have no problem with nix as my net server/router, as nix is quite well developed for these applications, however the development gone into being "Friendly" has just not happend, nor do i see it happening any time soon. Linux has a time and a place. Just not my time, and not in my car. =] When i get board i might look into it further.

My 9x lite machine hasn't crashed yet and its been in my car for 2 days now, and it hasn't crashed yet. ****ty software is the only thing that makes 9x unstable. Clean machines run fine.

newaiz, =]

i love mp3z

Comment

Working...
              X