No announcement yet.

Computer in the trunk -- any problems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer in the trunk -- any problems?

For those of you who have or are thinking about running your computer in the trunk, what are the concerns/drawbacks?

Will VGA make it up to the front dash to the LCD without any distortion? Can you put extra shielding on it to help protect it from, say, speaker wire running to the front speakers or will that not matter?

What about IDE, can IDE make it from the trunk to the dash? We're talking about 100" here..

What about USB?

What about RS-232 (Serial)?

Thanks!

OK...lets start from VGA and Serial I have 10 ft. cable and there is no problem with the reception. USB- no problem also, you can buy an extentsion easily. The only one concern is with IDE cables which support no more than 18" in length. I don't know anyone who would use a longer one, but you can be the first one (someone on this forum offers any length custom IDE cables).
    Danny.

"If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow."
    My Car Project® ‹== !10.4" Allbrite, touchscreen, epia, 150opus, gps, wireless, sony remote [old] 128x64 Crystalfontz +double din [new]

Comment

So how do you guys have dash-mount CD drives if your computer is in the trunk? One of those [IDE]-->USB adapters/housings?

Comment

There is a link newegg . I recommend to pick enclosure with USB and then if the cable is not long enough just buy extension for it.
        Danny.

"If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow."
        My Car Project® ‹== !10.4" Allbrite, touchscreen, epia, 150opus, gps, wireless, sony remote [old] 128x64 Crystalfontz +double din [new]

Comment

ok, actually now that I think about it, there are IEEE1394 ones too - my friend gets these for like $20.. as long as it works, that will make me happy.

Comment

i picked this up, its powered by the usb port. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

Comment

People have also had sucess with ultra long custom made ide cables (well sheilded of course) that are usable for dvdroms, but hdds create too much cross talk.
              -Nick

Comment

Originally posted by MP3DUB
                People have also had sucess with ultra long custom made ide cables (well sheilded of course) that are usable for dvdroms, but hdds create too much cross talk.

Any specifics you could share?

Comment

How can you further shield a VGA/IDE cable? Wrap it in foil?? Any better way?

Do the molex IDE cables make it over longer distances than the flat ribbon IDE cables??

Comment

Any concerns about the the harddrive skipping/vibrations due to massive bass hits from a 12" subwoofer? I'm planning to do a fiber enclosure for my jlaudio 12" in the trunk.
                    Shuttle xPC w/ Athlon 2400+
                    512MB ddr266
                    GeForce4 128MB agp video
                    250GB WD SE
                    USB2.0 DVD/CD-RW slim drive
                    7" Xenarc TSV touchscreen
                    PAC Audio AUX input module
                    Opus 150W PS
                    iGuidance usb GPS
                    RF keyboard/mouse
                    Mobile Media Center

Comment

::Bbrian::

The HD proximity to the subwoofer, has had tons of debates here. Some say the magnet will mess you up, others say it wont. The bass or vibrations wont mess you up at all. UNLESS you'll be hitting over 150dB although I have never seen a carpc in a system that can kick that hard.

I also notice your setup in your signature. I recommend you get yourself a Audigy 2, the onboard sound of the shuttle sux major donkey ***, compared to Audigy 2. I had problems with the onboard sound.
                      What im curently listening to.
                      My complete carpc setup

Comment

Aww I was planning to use the only pci slot for a TV/FM tuner card ... well I'll see if the onboard sound is going to be a prob or not. The subwoofer and pc case will be on opposite sides of the trunk .. hopefully this is far enough so the magnetic field won't cause any problems. Thanks for the heads up.
                        Shuttle xPC w/ Athlon 2400+
                        512MB ddr266
                        GeForce4 128MB agp video
                        250GB WD SE
                        USB2.0 DVD/CD-RW slim drive
                        7" Xenarc TSV touchscreen
                        PAC Audio AUX input module
                        Opus 150W PS
                        iGuidance usb GPS
                        RF keyboard/mouse
                        Mobile Media Center

Comment

I had the same concerns given that my maxima is quite a long car.. I was going to run the wires under the carpet up the middle so that i can minimize length..

I currently running TWO Infinity Perfect 12.1s mated toa Kicker 550.3 Class D amp.. and I also am concerned as to whether the bass from my subs will mess up the HD...

Magnetics is goingto be a huge problem given the size of the magnets on my subs...

ED
                          2k3 Max SE 6spd
                          Temp setup:
                          7" indash screen/Xbox running XBMC
                          Carputer coming soon
                          My 2003 Maxima

Comment

Working...
                          X