Talkin Car??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talkin Car??

What i would like to do is install some kind of a system that ideally when the car door is opened (or alarm unlocked) a message is played " hello joc" or something like that.
    For the time being just on ignition would do.

I got a piece a software called textaloud that saves words into an mp3 file therefore i got the mp3 sorted but what kinda hardware can i use??

I was kinda thinkin some kinda a pic circuit but i don't if it is powerful enuf to do it. Any ideas??
    XBOX Civic- dcdc converter, 7.2" touch lcd, Evox, Gentoox, 160 gig hdd, Wlan on the way, Custom Paint job

I could think of lots of ways to do this, from easy, cheap and a little lame to expensive and very cool.

On one side you could set your carPC to play a certain wav file when it comes out of hibernate. So, about 7-10 seconds after ignition. That would basically be free.

You could tap into your alarm system (gasp) find the relay for the motion sensor, and when motion is detected but the system is disarmed, set up an SCR off that relay that triggers some event, such as a sound being played. But youd have to figure out how to power it, and would also need some good electrical experience. And I don't even know if that would work: Would the motion sensor still send a signal to the alarm, which just ignores it since its disarmed? Or is the sensor simply turned "off"? I guess that one has more questions than answers. But its a start.

If I were you I'd take the 10 second hit and just use a startup sound. If you have remote start you could easily combine the two (if #2 could work in theory) because the power is already on to the system. You just need a trigger event to the carPC...shouldn't be too hard.

Comment

I had an old 82 or 83 chrysler town & country station wagon that did just that (engine rebuild project).

It would say stuff like "Door is ajar", "Please buckle your seat belt", "Thank You", etc. It was american made and the car was very old. I'm sure it wouldn't take much if any computing power at all.

If you insist on using your carputer, you'd probably need a handfull of sensors or tap into preexisting ones and use them to trigger events in software to play these mp3 files. If the sensor is just a simple switch, you could wire it to emulate button clicks on a joystick. I remember seeing a howto using the com port for buttons. I'll let you know if I find the link.
      -TJ
      Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
      CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
      Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

Comment

Here some more things it says
        "electronic voice alert thingy: "A door
        is ajar; your parking brake is on; your washer fluid is low; your fuel
        is low; your engine oil pressure is low prompt service is required;
        your engine is overheating psir; your electrical system is malfunction
        psr; please fasten your seat belt. When one or more are corrected
        "thank you".
        If you start off with parking brake off, seat belt on etc, "all
        monitored systems are functioning".
        Others depending on what you've done: "don't forget your keys; your
        headlights are on".
        Plus the electronic navigator which is handy when doing long trips."

And boy did those engine warning come on a lot when I was through with it...
        -TJ
        Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
        CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
        Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

Comment

hey my grandpa had that car...rock on.

Comment

Did you ever feel like it was talking too much?
            BTW...My wife does all of that and I didn't pay a thing for her.

Peter

Originally posted by tejesh83
            Here some more things it says
            "electronic voice alert thingy: "A door
            is ajar; your parking brake is on; your washer fluid is low; your fuel
            is low; your engine oil pressure is low prompt service is required;
            your engine is overheating psir; your electrical system is malfunction
            psr; please fasten your seat belt. When one or more are corrected
            "thank you".
            If you start off with parking brake off, seat belt on etc, "all
            monitored systems are functioning".
            Others depending on what you've done: "don't forget your keys; your
            headlights are on".
            Plus the electronic navigator which is handy when doing long trips."

And boy did those engine warning come on a lot when I was through with it...
            Stop Buying New Music CD's.
            Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

"Did you just fart in my seat?"
              Falcon cr53 w/ via epia m10000. Nokia 3650 blutooth phone.
              Better than winamp. Click here for qcd player.

Comment

my radar detector talks 2 me
                92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Epia MII12000 :D
                Morex 80W
                120G External HDD
                16x2 Charater Display
                Creative IR Remote
                VIA Sereniti 2000 Mini ITX Case
                7.2Ah SLA Tank
                PCMCIA 802.11b
                256DDR Ram

Diamonds are for girls- wise men follow the stars

Comment

Cmon lads was tryin to be serious here!!
                  Any1 got any ideas??
                  Not much time now myself to research, should be free in about 2 weeks to give it a good lash but til then any starters or pointers?
                  XBOX Civic- dcdc converter, 7.2" touch lcd, Evox, Gentoox, 160 gig hdd, Wlan on the way, Custom Paint job

Comment

what? it does!
                    uniden one. the 2nd model up.

if u have central locking with keyless entry, wire up the unlock side of it to a momentary relay to power switch. since u hav a carputer.... why not use it instead of doing a hardware based one?

but if u doing a pic based one... whats not powerful nuff? sound output? (use a small amp)
                    92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Morex 80W
                    120G External HDD
                    16x2 Charater Display
                    Creative IR Remote
                    7.2Ah SLA Tank
                    PCMCIA 802.11b
                    256DDR Ram

Comment

dont really wanna use puter cas a da boot up times n all and i want it to say goodbye when i lock da doors too.

sound output is no prob even for a 16f84 but i want mp3 to be played- i cant figure out any other ways to synthesise speech. if u av any other ideas?? i seen an open source mp3 project board on source forge that can connect to ide harddrives and i think that might be da job

Comment

hey.... whattabout those little gimmiks....?
                        the ones that record sound, then play back? if i can recall correctly, they are pretty cheap

also... prod doesnt have 2 b mp3.... make mp3, convert to wav or somthing
                        92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Morex 80W
                        120G External HDD
                        16x2 Charater Display
                        Creative IR Remote
                        7.2Ah SLA Tank
                        PCMCIA 802.11b
                        256DDR Ram

Comment

Some ASUS motherboards have a Winbond chip which speaks when some of triggers are activated (i.e. CPU overheating, RAM faulty etc.) and it's programmable with your own voice using a windows program.
                          Maybe useful to your project...
                          -NicGalla-
                          custom-made aluminum case | MK2.8+ PSU | EPIA 800 | 256 Mb DDR | 120 Gb 7.2k WD | Wireless Chieftec mouse & keyb | Trust USB Keypad & USB webcam | Majestic TFT 7" 16:9 | WinXP & ME2 | connected to factory head-unit in a PT Cruiser 2.0L

Comment

That would be cool.. Make it so a Gong hits and oriental music plays when you open the door.. That would be uber pimp!!!

It's easy enough to do.. Hook up a relay and the relay wire would be the wire to the door light or dome light.. It'll only work if/when the PC is on, but it would be sweet as hell!!

Comment

Okay this may be totally out of left field but here goes:
                              1) Use OBD-II (http://www.obd-2.com)
                              2) Connect to your carputer then start programing
                              3) Based on what you would like the car to say you will then interpet the codes using some 3rd party software (someone fill in this big blank)
                              4) Viola Knight-Rider
                              NOT INSTALLED:
                              P-3 700mhz 256MB 10GB
                              Opus 125W DC
                              GPS & ODB-II
                              7" Lillipoint
                              Pie Compnents Integrated Sound
                              Wi-Fi 802.11B

More to come.....

Comment

Working...
                              X