password in to start car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• password in to start car

I know it's doable. I was thinking of using a keypad to punch in a 4 digit code to start the car. How would you go about doing that. I have some ideas yesterday but as we type, I am drawing blank today.

L
    - Lwin M. Maung
    If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Im the past I know I have seen some keypad accessories for alarm systems that simply opened or closed a circuit after the correct code is entered.

Here is a link to a circuit that would do the trick.
    http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Ci.../Alarm/pad.htm

A bit more searching , and I found this - http://www.hobbytron.net/9951.html they market it as a garage door opener, but it would work just fine for your purpose. You can also buy these things ready-to-go as garage door openers.

The only iffy part would be the timing. If you just want to enable / disable the starter circuit, still using the key to start the car, just throw in some relays, and your all set.

If you want to use this device instead of the key, you are going to have to monitor the voltage pattern of the cars electrical system, or tap the out of your tachomiter. (your rpms will jump, then settel as you crank and start the engine. ) both methods are comonly used by remote starter circuits.

My alarm / starter unit has an aux input. when I momentarially contact this aux input, the alarms auto start circuit kicks in and starts the car.

One final note - Tachomiter sensing is a bit more accurate. I recomend this to prevent over cranking.
    Gizmo-
    Techonlogy on Wheels
    http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Comment

Cool. Just what I was looking for. Thanks a lot!
      - Lwin M. Maung

Comment

The cool factor on this is HUGE, but the security factor on this is LOW.. Please do not believe that this will be something that will prohibit theives from stealing your car. This thing would be so easy to hot wire it isn't even funny..

Comment

You should see the SVX(the car that I drive). I just look at the diagram for ign. system and it's damn easy to hot wire. Cool factor is nice. If anyone take my SVX, it will be pretty easy to locate. There are only 15000 ever imported and 25000 ever made. The resale factor for the SVX sucks so I am not worrying about that part.
          - Lwin M. Maung

Comment

Originally posted by Seraph
            You should see the SVX(the car that I drive). I just look at the diagram for ign. system and it's damn easy to hot wire. Cool factor is nice. If anyone take my SVX, it will be pretty easy to locate. There are only 15000 ever imported and 25000 ever made. The resale factor for the SVX sucks so I am not worrying about that part.
            so that's who makes that car (Subaru, according to your website). I see them pretty often, but never knew who made them
            Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
            Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
            I'M DEBT FREE!!
            I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Yes Subaru. They are fun to drive. Esp. in snow. The new WRXes are fast on the straight line but I can leave them in the dust in the "S" curves in the mountains.
              - Lwin M. Maung

Comment

To Start The Engine

Originally posted by Seraph
                I know it's doable. I was thinking of using a keypad to punch in a 4 digit code to start the car. How would you go about doing that. I have some ideas yesterday but as we type, I am drawing blank today.

L
                The easier way is to buy a remote start kit and rig it with the key pad.............
                ALIBABA - I30 99
                Nemiah M10000, C134
                DVD, 40Gig, 256MB DDR
                GPS, OBD 2, Reverse Cam
                Mute on stereo w I300 car kit
                Liliput 7in w usb touch screen
                Direct connect with BOSE-CD changer

Comment

That's what I am going to do. I just order the remote start kit and keypad.
                  - Lwin M. Maung

Comment

Even cooler would be to use some of the biometrics systems.

No punch codes, just your fingerprint.

Ive been thinking of doing something like this. This would totally prevent anyone you dont want from finding the code (seeing you enter it, etc) and then using you car to get groceries. I think some of the system let you program in several people who can access it.

Comment

The "do-it-yourself cool factor" seems to be this project's point, but with somthing so simple to install/use, alarm systems do come with remote start and that probably would be cheaper in the long run...gives more time and money to carputer instead.
                      I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn and it's non-dairy too...

Comment

Originally posted by ChosenOne
                        I know the "do-it-yourself cool factor" is the point, but with somthing so simple to install/use, alarm systems do come with remote start and that probably would be cheaper in the long run...unless the "do-it-yourself cool factor" is the priority?
                        Id rather have the cool factor with a biometrics system.

And no worries about family ever jacking my car

Comment

Originally posted by theedge
                          Id rather have the cool factor with a biometrics system.

And no worries about family ever jacking my car
                          I figure the alarm system/remote start would be more secure, cheaper, and more cost effective, and it's still pretty cool. But then again, it's not my car...
                          I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn and it's non-dairy too...

Comment

Originally posted by ChosenOne
                            I figure the alarm system/remote start would be more secure, cheaper, and more cost effective, and it's still pretty cool. But then again, it's not my car...
                            I dont want remote start, esp since ill be getting a 5 spd.

And I always have my keys in my pocket, I know ill end up at my friends house, sit on my keys wrong or her dog will jump on me, and suddenly my Porsche 944* will come to life in her driveway and sit there idling thru expensive gas for 2 hours

* I want to get a 944. As far as I know, it would be the ONLY 944 in the world with a carputer in it Pen0s size++++

Comment

hmmm i recall a thing in an old diy electronics mag about a keypad used with immobilisers...
                              but hey... like someone sed. EASY as to bypass.

im thinking bout converting subaru legacy to a push button start(hell its got immobilisers as part of alarm, so u have to start within 30s of unlocking doors.
                              92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Epia MII12000 :D
                              Morex 80W
                              120G External HDD
                              16x2 Charater Display
                              Creative IR Remote
                              VIA Sereniti 2000 Mini ITX Case
                              7.2Ah SLA Tank
                              PCMCIA 802.11b
                              256DDR Ram

Diamonds are for girls- wise men follow the stars

Comment